Hardware Baseless Nintendo NX speculation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry about my previous posts but the new handheld is more likely to pack 4 cores from mediatek than 2 k12 cores from amd. The thing is that new 3ds packs 4 arm11 cores, which for certain game to run (using 3 or 4 thread, such as xenoblade chronicle 3d), there must be four cores to simulate 3ds games properly. Unless amd somehow manage to lower the production cost, we will not get a new handheld as fast as the lastest iphone.
The new handheld might ditch cartridges.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So my current theory is that the Wii U will kind of be absorbed by the NX lineup; it will be updated for compatibility and be able to play NX games, but if you want them full quality then you by the next console that will release in 2017-18

G0R3Z

Just Can't Be Bothered
Trophies
XP
Country
3D Gamepad Screen with no buttons or touchpad because:
Controller replaced with amiibo scanner, you scan amiibos for the different button inputs.
Port for backwards compatibility with the gamecube GBA player, but they don't make any new ones.
New Bluray disks the size of 12" Records for storing more data, internal needle for playing games instead of a laser.
No USB ports, but 5 ethernet ports with an adapter for all accessories sold separately
Uses the same power adapter as the Wii U, and therefore does not come with one of its own.
Region locked to only work on TVs manufactured by Japanese companies
Comes in either White 8gb model or PewDiePie 2tb model (Which is to say a laser engraved image of the youtuber and an unchangeable home menu theme)

Launch Titles:
Mother 3 (PAL exclusive)
Metroid: Other OTHER M
Project M HD Remix
Majora's Mask 2D (A demake of the original)
MMM (A port of VVVVVV where everything is flipped vertically)
Mario vs. Mothra
Monkey Kong: Fruit Punch

The Preorder bonus is a bag of kosher Marshmallows and a collection of 285 CDs filled with uncut, unedited recordings of the hardware development team designing the plastic dust cover for the ethernet ports.

Trust me, I work at Mintendo

I was belly laughing until I read Monkey Kong: Fruit Punch, then I laughed so hard that I almost fell off of my chair.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo NX will be a system with actual good hardware and Nintendo will actually work with 3rd Party devs to make sure they have actual games on the system instead of months without a single game release. And maybe they will actually advertise for this system so they can actually get it moving, instead of farting out a few ads every couple of months.

They have started the hype train early, by talking about it with nothing at all to show devs.

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I'm coming up with based on the rumors out there that I remember. AMD is designing the hardware, and PowerPC is pretty much dead. The NX might as well have PC-like hardware similar to the Xbox One and PS4. Will it be as powerful? Who knows, but I might know why it would be possible, even at the lower price rumor. PC technology is ALWAYS growing and getting faster, even by months at a time. Manufacturing prices of parts are ALWAYS cheaper than getting a single one as a consumer, because manufactures get items in bulks rather than individually. When the Xbox One and PS4 were announced, that was literally $400 worth of technology packed in those systems, the One being $500 because of the Kinect being included. Nowadays, those same specs will be MUCH cheaper, probably anywhere between $250 to $300 in manufacturing per unit. That also explains why the PS4 is getting a ridiculous price drop in Japan, because of how cheaper the parts are now since they're already obsolete by PC standards, as AMD made the parts, the PS4 will cost around $292 in Japan now. If AMD is going to throw their new High Speed Memory into their next generation console, Nintendo can get away with manufacturing a console (NX) for between $250 and $300 easy. There's also a new patent on the controller/portable-console, if the NX is going to be an OS rather than a system, we won't have to worry about a hybrid console hindering price for performance, although we already know that rumor was rendered void according to OP. They will probably work together like the Vita and PS4 do, again, we won't know until there's official confirmation on that.

Cont3.jpg

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The talk from Nin slightly before/around the NX 'unveil' time was unified hardware - now there's reports of the NX being released next summer, and featuring a gamepad similar (but perhaps smaller) than the Wii U's... if this is the case, and this is of course pure speculation from me, it could even be an online subscription service like PlayStation Now, playing games in the same league as PS4/XO titles (PS4 games are apparently coming to PS Now remember), and theoretically could allow for not only 'NX only games', but also both Wii U and 3DS titles too... and playable not only on maybe a cheaper, almost streaming only version of the Wii U, but the actual Wii U and 3DS too.... throw in a couple of free Wii U and/or 3DS games every month ala Plus/Gold and bingo: no massive risky hardware launch... Wii U owners kept happy, etc.
--Not saying this WILL happen by any means :lol:, but you never know!

Reactions: Selim873

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The talk from Nin slightly before/around the NX 'unveil' time was unified hardware - now there's reports of the NX being released next summer, and featuring a gamepad similar (but perhaps smaller) than the Wii U's... if this is the case, and this is of course pure speculation from me, it could even be an online subscription service like PlayStation Now, playing games in the same league as PS4/XO titles (PS4 games are apparently coming to PS Now remember), and theoretically could allow for not only 'NX only games', but also both Wii U and 3DS titles too... and playable not only on maybe a cheaper, almost streaming only version of the Wii U, but the actual Wii U and 3DS too.... throw in a couple of free Wii U and/or 3DS games every month ala Plus/Gold and bingo: no massive risky hardware launch... Wii U owners kept happy, etc.
--Not saying this WILL happen by any means :lol:, but you never know!
I'm honestly looking forward to what it will be like. I mean, everything started because an Australian EB Games (I think?) put preorders up for it on their site a few years back by accident, and the internet exploded when it happened! Even Reggie said that we're going to get info on it next E3 during the show with complete confidence!

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's what I'm coming up with based on the rumors out there that I remember. AMD is designing the hardware, and PowerPC is pretty much dead. The NX might as well have PC-like hardware similar to the Xbox One and PS4. Will it be as powerful? Who knows, but I might know why it would be possible, even at the lower price rumor. PC technology is ALWAYS growing and getting faster, even by months at a time. Manufacturing prices of parts are ALWAYS cheaper than getting a single one as a consumer, because manufactures get items in bulks rather than individually. When the Xbox One and PS4 were announced, that was literally $400 worth of technology packed in those systems, the One being $500 because of the Kinect being included. Nowadays, those same specs will be MUCH cheaper, probably anywhere between $250 to $300 in manufacturing per unit. That also explains why the PS4 is getting a ridiculous price drop in Japan, because of how cheaper the parts are now since they're already obsolete by PC standards, as AMD made the parts, the PS4 will cost around $292 in Japan now. If AMD is going to throw their new High Speed Memory into their next generation console, Nintendo can get away with manufacturing a console (NX) for between $250 and $300 easy. There's also a new patent on the controller/portable-console, if the NX is going to be an OS rather than a system, we won't have to worry about a hybrid console hindering price for performance, although we already know that rumor was rendered void according to OP. They will probably work together like the Vita and PS4 do, again, we won't know until there's official confirmation on that.

Cont3.jpg
Mind if I add the last bit to the OP? I've been meaning to announce the controller patent but you beat me to it :P

Reactions: Selim873

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly? I expect the next console to be mostly a refinement of the Wii U's hardware and nothing too pricy. The Wii's components were only slightly more powerful than the Gamecube's as that was all that was needed. The Wii U is significantly more powerful, but that was because Nintendo had to make the jump to HDTV. I expect the hardware of the next console to be just a refinement; with significant performance enhancements consisting of correcting "bottlenecks" that were not anticipated during development of the Wii U.

The NX rumors seem to point to this. It has been stated that all NX devices would play the exact same games, which I deduce meaning that the architecture is identical with the main difference between a Wii U, console, and handheld being the clock speeds and number of cores; allowing developers to implement adjustments and optional features, just like any decent PC game that scales from Intel graphics to Titan graphics.

To me that seems that the next handheld may have specs very close to the current Wii U. If NX means that all Wii U games must run on all NX devices, then the handheld will need to be just as powerful. If NX just means that Wii U games can be ported over, then the handheld could be reduced by cutting the clock speed and number of cores. Games that significantly underutilize the Wii U (VC ports, most indies) can probably be tweaked to play nice with less cores, while others would need more work.

I would love the successor to have some logical additions, mainly an internal hard drive bay and ideally native Gamecube controller support (perfection is forever. The Gamecube adapter shows Nintendo has accepted that). The trackwheel triggers would be nice (and would be a proper alternative to analog triggers), but Nintendo really needs to make sure that the name they pick makes it clear it is a different console (I believe there's a procedure called "focus groups" or something like that)

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if I'm the only one, but I think the NX is a 3DS replacement, not a Wii U one.
Yeah, that's what I think as well based on recent news and rumors. If you read the second update on the OP, I posted a rumor that "NX" refers to the OS that the systems will run on and that the handheld will come first, while the Wii U won't be replaced for another few years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The DMV giving citizens of Detroit empowerment
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, and with yourself :creep:
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    As a reminder crack pipes left in the lobby will be thrown away, the DMV is not responsible for lost crack pipes!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got a camera I can film what I want
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Gotta give my fans what they want...
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    get crackin'
    Well hmm got that Eeros 6+ router working so no need for a new one for now lol
    Scratch!!! In broad daylight!!!
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, is it truly discrimination if you dislike everyone equally? like, if i dislike everyone, then am i racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, etc., or am i just a hater?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    All of the above...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You gotta be on Psis level and hate your own people
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i meant everyone, even my own people, and myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Oh, well thats ok then
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    (i don't dislike people, it's just a hypothe- aaaaaand i'm banned aren't i?)
    Good good let your hate flow through you!!!
    +2
    Emperor Palpetine reveals that he is trans Jewish pro abortion and drives a Prius!
    Unlimited Power!!!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hate fuels your cybertruck
    Yeah this Eero router is way better than the one my ISP gave me, still might need to buy one but until then this one is better lol
    The one Comcast provided is apparently powered by a comadore 64 chip lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The one Comcast provided is apparently powered by a comadore 64 chip lol