Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
NX will not support virtual reality at launch. Nintendo is too dedicated to maintaining mass appeal to even attempt it, to say nothing of the UX hurdles they'd have to overcome. They market the 3DS as "glasses-free" for a reason.

How about glasses free virtual reality? :toot:

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I estimate late 2017 based on previous console cycles (then again, I'm not a professional research analyst, so who knows)

That might be believable if the Wii U was as successful as the Wii, but it's not, and Nintendo is loosing money every day because of it. Nintendo is going to release the NX as soon as possible, so it starts printing money for them. I feel they will release it at holiday season this year or early next year, why else would they have announced it in the first place.

Alexander Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Sure, let's throw environment awareness in there as well. If the handheld knows its position and orientation in the room, and has a front-facing camera with head tracking, it can be used as a "window" into a virtual world around the player.

That's all software, though. If it's a flagship feature, expect it to be a part of the NX platform, not a specific device.

Reactions: VinsCool

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That will be good, indeed if the 3ds was faster with a little different layout it will be the right thing. The real problem is an extra controller is required unless the controller could be taken off, but that was just unlikely.
And the wireless is 802.11ad, a bluetooth like ultra speed wifi that links different units, router free and is far more responsive. It is also a bit faster than usb 3.0.

Reactions: VinsCool

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
December 2014.

Also this is a rumor, not trustable enough.

This
We doing this now? Alright, here we go:

NX refers to a software platform build by Nintendo with new partners, emphasizing ease of development and system-wide connectivity. When it is announced, a new handheld is shown using it, but Nintendo makes a point of stating that all future Nintendo consoles will also use NX. The purpose is to make it more attractive to outside developers, as their titles have a wider market and greater longevity, but it also eases pressures on Nintendo's internal studios who sometimes have to redo unannounced work several times because of console cycle changes.

The handheld is a compromise on the Wii U gamble. It features the same functionality as the Wii U game pad, slimmed down and given a capacitive touch screen, but works as a stand-alone console. Packed with it is a wireless HDMI dongle that acts as a video and audio receiver from a connected NX device. Only one device can connect to it, but multiple NX devices can connect and stream video between each other, so as long as the "host" device is powered on, players can bring their own and play split-screen on the television.

For players who would like backwards compatibility, a device is sold separately which accepts Wii and Wii U discs, and has HDMI ports to accept the handheld's wireless dongle and a cable to connect to the television. The device uploads game data to the handheld, and players can choose which screen to play the game on as they can with the Wii U now.

The system launches with what Nintendo thinks is a strong lineup, but fans are only really interested in the handheld ports of the Metroid Prime trilogy and Splatoon. Because the platform is meant to be long-lived and attractive to third parties, Nintendo is content to release only a new Fire Emblem game in the first year, padding the rest with ports of their popular games from previous systems. Square Enix treats the system poorly, opting to churn out two or three cheap spin-offs instead of a decent original title, and Atlus has to fill in for them again. Capcom tests the waters with a port of their newest iteration of Street Fighter before trying a new IP. It lacks mass appeal, but develops a strong enough cult following to justify a misguided sequel before fading into obscurity.
You've sold me. If this were indeed what Nintendo could be working on I'd buy everything by Nintendo using this software ever in the future
That might be believable if the Wii U was as successful as the Wii, but it's not, and Nintendo is loosing money every day because of it. Nintendo is going to release the NX as soon as possible, so it starts printing money for them. I feel they will release it at holiday season this year or early next year, why else would they have announced it in the first place.
Actually, Nintendo is finally making money on the Wii U, due to the fact that they are no longer selling the console at a loss and they are only shipping a small amount of consoles more than they estimate they will sell (as opposed to blindly throwing them into the wild like the XBox)

Reactions: 2Hack and VinsCool

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Nintendo stated that NX is a game console, not some sort of OS or virtual service.

Now, the reason why they announce it so early was to ease concerns about Nintendo leaving the hardware bussiness, you know the tipically Nintendoomed, goes mobile, etc.

Alexander Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo stated that NX is a game console, not some sort of OS or virtual service.

Now, the reason why they announce it so early was to ease concerns about Nintendo leaving the hardware bussiness, you know the tipically Nintendoomed, goes mobile, etc.

Source? From what I've read Iwata has been very conspicuous about not referring to it as hardware. The term "platform" comes up over and over again, almost like a mantra.

Yil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Source? From what I've read Iwata has been very conspicuous about not referring to it as hardware. The term "platform" comes up over and over again, almost like a mantra.
NX is a home console that is part of the new cross-platform service. Just look at the diagram from nintendo, it clearly states that nx falls in the same level as 3ds or wii u.

Alexander Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NX is a home console that is part of the new cross-platform service. Just look at the diagram from nintendo, it clearly states that nx falls in the same level as 3ds or wii u.

If you're talking about this, it says no such thing. This is just a presentation image, probably displayed during a talking point, that summarizes what platforms their new membership service will be available on. The fact that Tablet and PC are on here makes it obvious that there is no further implied relationship between these items.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Rumour going around is that NX will allow to play games from Nintendo's home console and handheld but if the graphics and sound are as bad as 3DS then that'd be less than pleasant to play on an HDTV.

If NX were to be that then the handheld games would have to be almost as good looking and sounding as the home console version and that just seems too much to be pushing from Nintendo.

Alexander Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
If you're talking about this, it says no such thing. This is just a presentation image, probably displayed during a talking point, that summarizes what platforms their new membership service will be available on. The fact that Tablet and PC are on here makes it obvious that there is no further implied relationship between these items.

Well there's relationship between those items, they are all hardware.

Alexander Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well there's relationship between those items, they are all hardware.

Clearly. My point was that the image wasn't meant to say anything about the NX aside from it supporting the new membership service, so we shouldn't assume more than that. Nintendo's not dropping us secret messages here.

However, as I linked in my previous post, they have made a separate statement that NX is a hardware device.

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
Ah, turns out there was an official translation which calls NX a "hardware system":

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-03-17-nintendo-nx-is-new-hardware-with-a-brand-new-concept

So switch the terminology around in my earlier posts. NX is the new handheld, and its "brand-new concept" is the future-proof cross-system streaming platform I described. I guess I'll call it, like, NintendOS or something.
That's my guess too, there are some suspicious events that led me think NX is some kind of handheld/home console hybrid:
  • Japan is a handheld/mobile dominated market. It's pretty important market for Nintendo.
  • Wii U was a first attemp to emulate a handheld (no need for TV).
  • Nintendo starting to make shared development tools for Wii U / 3DS / N3DS.
  • Lower development cost by not diverting content among different architecture.
  • Third party wise Nintendo handheld looks more atractive, (Japan the most) but they can use those same games in a home console format.
Now the question is if Nintendo will be bold enough to stop handheld production and focus in only one hybrid system, they historically enjoy from 2 reveneu streams. If I were to bet Nintendo will carry N3DS until NX, the main hardware hybrid will support every game from NX service, N3DS will support some of them.

Alexander Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No matter the NX's true form, I expect the 3DS to be around for a while, until Nintendo's certain they've got a foodhold. Rather, to push along the transition, the new membership service just acts as a cross-platform eShop account on older devices, so for the 3DS's purposes there is little difference. Instead, the NX plays downloadable 3DS games, and the new "Nintendo Account" means you'll get to keep the ones you already bought. This pushes more upgrades for users who are heavily invested in 3DS, and more new adopters interested in trying the 3DS games they missed first time around.

FireGrey

Undercover Admin
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
The biggest part of the NX outside of what their major "gimmick" will be is the Operating System.
Given this I hope it's something that integrates well with smartphones and web services.
Nintendo has always provided a far greater web browser than the other consoles, or really any other tv web browsers.
It will be nice to see things like chromecast support and maybe a companion app like pushbullet.
The most important part ofcourse would have to be performance, which the Cafe OS doesn't provide.
Something like the Wii's OS but with multi-tasking would be fantastic.
Presumably the NX will be 2 consoles, so hopefully they have some nifty synergy features, like handing off a game from one system to the other.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Korin

Trophies
XP
Country
3D Gamepad Screen with no buttons or touchpad because:
Controller replaced with amiibo scanner, you scan amiibos for the different button inputs.
Port for backwards compatibility with the gamecube GBA player, but they don't make any new ones.
New Bluray disks the size of 12" Records for storing more data, internal needle for playing games instead of a laser.
No USB ports, but 5 ethernet ports with an adapter for all accessories sold separately
Uses the same power adapter as the Wii U, and therefore does not come with one of its own.
Region locked to only work on TVs manufactured by Japanese companies
Comes in either White 8gb model or PewDiePie 2tb model (Which is to say a laser engraved image of the youtuber and an unchangeable home menu theme)

Launch Titles:
Mother 3 (PAL exclusive)
Metroid: Other OTHER M
Project M HD Remix
Majora's Mask 2D (A demake of the original)
MMM (A port of VVVVVV where everything is flipped vertically)
Mario vs. Mothra
Monkey Kong: Fruit Punch

The Preorder bonus is a bag of kosher Marshmallows and a collection of 285 CDs filled with uncut, unedited recordings of the hardware development team designing the plastic dust cover for the ethernet ports.

Trust me, I work at Mintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Werid went to put my ps5 ssd into my pcs m.2 bay and no detection