Back from the abyss

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Just a quick word to apologize for the downtime over the past 1-2 days. There is unfortunately a recurring hardware failure on the server (every 6 months or so) which causes the power supply to fail, which means we're down until the hosting company sends someone to manually restart the machine. Once again the failure occurred on a week-end which further delayed the restoration of service. Note: this thread will be removed from homepage in the next few hours.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You know, on Hetzner they will have someone reboot the server within a few hours or sometimes even faster, and you can request a manual reboot directly from the web UI.
Just saying your choice in server host might not be optimal. :P

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
You know, on Hetzner they will have someone reboot the server within a few hours or sometimes even faster, and you can request a manual reboot directly from the web UI.
Just saying your choice in server host might not be optimal. :P

You can do manual reboots there too. It just so happens that the hardware failures also takes down the electrical controller (IPMI) that is used to trigger the reboots. So nothing can be done until someone does a hardware reset.

And as I said, if this had happened during the week, it would have been fixed very quickly, within hours. But this happened over the week-end, and there was also another delay due to the fact that when the server was restored, I was AFK or sleeping (due to time zones). What more do you want, eh...

You should know better than to question me on server matters, Jd ;) you know GBAtemp has been hosted at 6 or 7 different hosting companies over the years, this one is the most cost effective. And I could pay double or triple to get "business-level" support and get stuff fixed within 1H even during week-ends, but that just won't be possible financially.

Reactions: Phoenix Goddess

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can do manual reboots there too. It just so happens that the hardware failures also takes down the electrical controller (IPMI) that is used to trigger the reboots. So nothing can be done until someone does a hardware reset.

And as I said, if this had happened during the week, it would have been fixed very quickly, within hours. But this happened over the week-end, and there was also another delay due to the fact that when the server was restored, I was AFK or sleeping (due to time zones). What more do you want, eh...

You should know better than to question me on server matters, Jd ;) you know GBAtemp has been hosted at 6 or 7 different hosting companies over the years, this one is the most cost effective. And I could pay double or triple to get "business-level" support and get stuff fixed within 1H even during week-ends, but that just won't be possible financially.

I personally don't give a shit how often it goes down, as long as it comes back up :lol:
It's your money. Do what makes you happy, Cost.(No pun intended.)

I always browse the temp while enjoying tea.
Said tea was spat on my screen when I realized the temp was down.(Not really but close.)

I'm extremely happy to see it back up and relieved that it was nothing more serious.

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't give a shit how often it goes down, as long as it comes back up :lol:
It's your money. Do what makes you happy, Cost.(No pun intended.)

I always browse the temp while enjoying tea.
Said tea was spat on my screen when I realized the temp was down.(Not really but close.)

I'm extremely happy to see it back up and relieved that it was nothing more serious.

It's also very nice to see you posting around here more often! You should come out of hiding more often! :wub:

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

By manual reboots, I meant a member of staff physically going to the server and rebooting it. E.g. a hardware reset.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton