Homebrew away from scene for ages... good emulators?

kofman13

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a n3DSXL running boot9strap after A9LH, havnt touched it in probably 8 months or whenever boot9strap came out. Not really into 3DS games anymore but really want to play more retro games. Is it possible to install emulators on my 3DS for SNES,GB,GBC,GBA,Genesis? If so, how, and what are some good ones?

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use FBI to install CIAs of these. These each have their own thread here on this forum.

Bubble's versions of these emulators are pretty good and run fast even on o3DS:
TemperPCE (PC Engine)
Snes9x
VirtuNES
Picodrive (Master System, Gens/Mega Drive, CD / 32x)

Gameyob DSi version for GB/C games at native resolution, mGBA for the same if you want to scale them.

See the Super Injector thread on this forum if you want to do Virtual Console injections for S/NES, GB/C/A. GBA injects in particular run semi-natively and much faster/more compatible than the best emulator, mGBA. The SNES emulator is also more accurate than other options and generally fullspeed. 8-bit emus are good enough that its hard to tell between them and VC, and the NES VC is missing many mappers.

I think there is a half-decent SCUMM port for old Lucasarts games and the like, and handy is about perfect if you remember the Lynx handheld..

You can use Retroarch for the remaining. In particular FBA NeoGeo runs about perfect on N3DS, and Genesis GX plus is good for game gear.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

juniorcba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
See the Super Injector thread on this forum if you want to do Virtual Console injections for S/NES, GB/C/A. GBA injects in particular run semi-natively and much faster/more compatible than the best emulator, mGBA. The SNES emulator is also more accurate than other options and generally fullspeed. 8-bit emus are good enough that its hard to tell between them and VC, and the NES VC is missing many mappers.
Wait, SNES VC run full speed on the old 3DS? I need this.

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think you can at least boot injected SNES VC on o3DS, but no they won't run well. Sorry if I gave that impression.

Bubble's SNES9x on the other hand runs quite well on o3DS. I think the audio is rendered at a lower sampling rate but everything else works well, aside perhaps super FX chips.

Reactions: Hopalongtom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/T78NsMwZOA0