Hacking Question AutoRCM or not?

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you really want to be the one that finds out by paying with his banned switch for that? I don't. I only know one thing: what you don't install, cannot be detected! as simple as that.
I mean, its our own choice to mod the switch. Running CFW on its own will most likely result in a ban. Going online without the proper stuff spoofed or blocked so nintendo cant see is asking for a ban. Not my fault if someone wants to mod their console and gets banned? They decided with the final vote

Reactions: Kioku

swabbo

Wot u doin readin dis m8?
Trophies
XP
Country
That ended up being wrong.

I was stuck in a black screen state after using AutoRCM and trying to boot into Lakka using the Painless Linux Windows Script to run Lakka, my computer wouldn't recognise that my Switch was plugged in and pressing/holding power buttons did nothing, waited a few days and plugged my Switch into my PC, waited 10 mins and pressed the power button and it connected in RCM with 25% battery and I uninstalled AutoRCM after that, dunno what happened but it was scary

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That ended up being wrong.
So it might not actually charge...
Screenshot_20180604-105341_Discord.jpg
Screenshot_20180604-105317_Discord.jpg

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We need people with multiple switches to just test it tbh.

The devs probably have more than one laying around, right? And screwdrivers? And multimeters?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The official statement is that there is a chance that it may fail at trying to re-charge the Switch. Key word: chance. Apparently, they don't know why and is considered one of the black boxes of the Switch. Nothing else trumps removing the battery as a solution. But AutoRCM's dangers are still ever present.

OblivionReign

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So I have a very temperamental method of getting my Switch into RCM mode, I purchased a Jig and cannot for the life of me get it to work.

However with some simple alfoil I can manage to get it to boot into RCM after a couple of attempts but the downside is one of my joycon is not detected properly after it boots, I tried resync but still no fix?

Finally.. Then questions is.. Do I take this risk and put it into AUTORCM to save hassle and hope my joycon works properly too?

Thanks
Only downsides to auto rcm is being tethered to a device to boot it via payload and that you cant really truly tell if the console is off so the battery drains dead a lot if it isnt. And it doesnt charge when in rcm mode.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done the following:
  1. Install AutoRCM and boot into Horizon, disconnecting the Switch from the computer.
  2. Let the Switch battery get to 50% in Horizon.
  3. Completely power off the system.
  4. Plug in the Switch to a power source, which causes it to enter RCM.
  5. Let it sit plugged in and in RCM all day.
  6. Unplug the Switch from the power source and quickly load Horizon.
  7. The battery is at 100%.
I can't think of any explanation for this other than the Switch charging in RCM. The OS not lowering the battery percentage doesn't explain it being at 100%.

Last edited by Lacius,

mangotowel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use auto rcm booted with a hekate payload into ofw so I can still play my games. It gives me the option to run other payloads if I want to. It's a tethered boot ,but like you guys have said when will a switch ever run out of battery with sleep mode.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've done the following:
  1. Install AutoRCM and boot into Horizon, disconnecting the Switch from the computer.
  2. Let the Switch battery get to 50% in Horizon.
  3. Completely power off the system.
  4. Plug in the Switch to a power source, which causes it to enter RCM.
  5. Let it sit plugged in and in RCM all day.
  6. Unplug the Switch from the power source and quickly load Horizon.
  7. The battery is at 100%.
I can't think of any explanation for this other than the Switch charging in RCM. The OS not lowering the battery percentage doesn't explain it being at 100%.
From what im seeing though is, if you unplugged the battery it might actually be lower. But at this point I have no Idea what is going on. Some people say they cant get it to charge and others say they can.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what im seeing though is, if you unplugged the battery it might actually be lower. But at this point I have no Idea what is going on. Some people say they cant get it to charge and others say they can.
You're probably right. I performed this test a day or two ago. I powered on my Switch today, and it's dead or nearly dead. It definitely was not left in RCM.

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're probably right. I performed this test a day or two ago. I powered on my Switch today, and it's dead or nearly dead. It definitely was not left in RCM.
Hmm, So I wonder if the switch gets notified that it should have been charging in some way and changes the %? But it actually didnt charge at all?

annson24

The Patient One
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I had the autorcm installed simply because I don't want to wear my pins 7 & 10 everytime I want to do a reboot.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: mangotowel

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So maybe the Switch didn't charge from 50% to 100% in RCM and instead the battery was draining away while it thought it was charging. But then why did it display the battery as 100% at first but then nearly dead the next boot? Sorry if I'm reviving a semi-old thread. Trying to get to the truth about AutoRCM. What may have been a false alarm may not have been so false.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So maybe the Switch didn't charge from 50% to 100% in RCM and instead the battery was draining away while it thought it was charging. But then why did it display the battery as 100% at first but then nearly dead the next boot? Sorry if I'm reviving a semi-old thread. Trying to get to the truth about AutoRCM. What may have been a false alarm may not have been so false.
Regardless of whether or not the battery charges in RCM, the concern about possibly being unable to charge the Switch was a false alarm. If your Switch dies with AutoRCM installed, the system will still trickle charge enough to be able to enter RCM and then load Horizon to charge it back to 100%. If the battery is too dead to enter RCM but not 100% dead, there is a small chance the system won't trickle charge. If that happens, the battery either needs to be disconnected and reconnected, or it needs to 100% die.

As for whether or not it charges in RCM, most of the people who know what they're talking about say it doesn't charge in RCM, and they have evidence to back it up. One user who knows what he's talking about claimed it did charge in RCM, but he didn't actually check and was merely going on the battery percentage after using RCM for extended periods of time.

Last edited by Lacius,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Regardless of whether or not the battery charges in RCM, the concern about possibly being unable to charge the Switch was a false alarm. If your Switch dies with AutoRCM installed, the system will still trickle charge enough to be able to enter RCM and then load Horizon to charge it back to 100%. If the battery is too dead to enter RCM but not 100% dead, there is a small chance the system won't trickle charge. If that happens, the battery either needs to be disconnected and reconnected, or it needs to 100% die.

As for whether or not it charges in RCM, most of the people who know what they're talking about say it doesn't charge in RCM, and they have evidence to back it up. One user who knows what he's talking about claimed it did charge in RCM, but he didn't actually check and was merely going on the battery percentage after using RCM for extended periods of time.
I mean I knew it could not actually charge in RCM (otherwise AutoRCM would be a little less of a headache), but my concern is knowing whether or not its dead enough to trickle a charge. I keep seeing people say that its a given it will charge with AutoRCM installed if your Switch dies which is not true. I'm just looking for more confirmation on this as wording like that just sounds like a messy gray area without statistics or numbers to back it up.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean I knew it could not actually charge in RCM (otherwise AutoRCM would be a little less of a headache), but my concern is knowing whether or not its dead enough to trickle a charge. I keep seeing people say that its a given it will charge with AutoRCM installed if your Switch dies which is not true. I'm just looking for more confirmation on this as wording like that just sounds like a messy gray area without statistics or numbers to back it up.
Here's what's likely to happen to someone who has AutoRCM installed and allows the console to die:
  1. When plugged into the computer, the console will still enter RCM.
  2. If a user boots into Horizon, the battery indicator will appear while it's charging.
  3. Once it's charged enough, the home screen will load.
Possible complications:
  1. The Switch doesn't charge quickly while attached to the computer, and there's no way to use the standard wall charger or dock on a dead Switch with AutoRCM installed. Temporarily removing AutoRCM solves this problem.
  2. In some very rare situations when the battery isn't completely dead but it's dead enough that it can't load RCM, the Switch might not trickle charge into RCM. Allowing the battery to die completely or temporarily disconnecting the battery solves this problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I better over react and get all fussy for the lols