Autism

mgrev

Music Addict, Video Game Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That's alright. I have always knew I was to become deaf before I was 18. Doctor said my hearing is slowly deteriorating and I'm expected to be deaf be 20. Still, I have an implant to allow me to hear anything electronic. Music, games, basically anything that has a head phone jack. I have these neat little earbuds for me. That's the only reason I can hear such things. Still a nice thing. I'm addicted to music. ( It's pretty much the only thing for me to hear. ) Enough about me, what do you mean ill around loud noises?
ill around loud/sharp noises i meant. i tend to get physical pain in my ears if i hear something too loud or too sharp (which happens quite often), or even worse, the two in combinaton. i also get a headache quite easily when there are loud noises.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
ill around loud/sharp noises i meant. i tend to get physical pain in my ears if i hear something too loud or too sharp (which happens quite often), or even worse, the two in combinaton. i also get a headache quite easily when there are loud noises.
Same.

Reactions: Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I heard that's normal for everyone that can hear though. I used to be the same when I was 8. My hearing was just like any other persons at that age. But, now I've done let that here.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I heard that's normal for everyone that can hear though. I used to be the same when I was 8. My hearing was just like any other persons at that age. But, now I've done let that here.
Hmm no. Most people don't mind loud noises that much. If I hear something too loud it physically hurts and starts to make me sick. The same volume and everyone else is fine.

Last edited by Seriel, , Reason: Stupid typos.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
that's normal? the people i go to school with says they dont get ill
Not ill, but migraines and head aches occur normally with most people around that noise.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hmm no. Most people don't mind loud noises that much. If I hear something too loud it physically hurts and starts to make me sicks. The same volume and everyone else is fine.
Oh, that's what you guys meant. That sounds awful.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
first of all sorry for my slow and long response...
i do like the system that worked for me: coaching.
a member who had low level psychology degree, teached me to write down the stuff in my head that blocked me from functioning as other people around me, she then rewrote it in what she beleved to be my meaning. then we discussed it.
so now i can understand better what is the basic failure of my brain (in my case i don't understand emotions of others, or see non verbal communications). now by asking a little more questions i can function in most situations quite normal.
it will never really change some problems though, for sports like basketball i still have problems i can't overcome., but it is enough to function in society.
one other thing that's different is i need really detailed schedules for the next todo or i get into panicmode, so i use a week and day aganda to write evereything down.
no drug or medicine will ever work better than this, and they found out about a year ago a possible cause, where normal people make now connections and old connections fade a way by autistic people they don't fade away, there's just more and more.
this is why i couldn't stand teachers who used to use sub structures for equations i mean they tell me different ways to solve the same equation wich made it more problematic to oversee the basis of the question.
if a teacher thinks in solutions i can learn about anything, but if a teacher is trying to get me to his or her point of view we get nowhere.
for extreme situations this will not help much, but for most people there's nothing better than this, they can fit in society just fine.
for really autistic people not being able to have normal emotions or conversations... there's still the hope we find a medicine to stabile at least the fear response...

I am glad you got a system that works for you, I know of many that would envy your position.

"no drug or medicine will ever work better than this"
It may be the case that no drug now works better than the therapy/system you have, or at least side effects might be more troubling to the point of not being useful. However never ever is right out and even stuff we will see in our lifetimes will probably do wonders and I can see it changing things there -- the understanding of neurochemistry, brain development, genetic sequencing and genetic targeting and more is moving on at such a rapid pace that such a statement seems incredibly short sighted. Whether it will come at a point where you can make real use of it I do not know; altering what such a fundamental aspect of personality (I want a better term there but hopefully my meaning is clear) is fraught with difficulty, even more so if you happen to be 50 at the time. Likewise if it is managed enough that you can enjoy life then you potentially run into the same issue that some deaf groups experience; at times various people in the deaf community would feel much the same about the word cure as you seem to about the word disease.

On your bit about the cause, I could be a bastard and go into word definitions (technically that would be a symptom and not a cause) but I am wary about placing too much stock into such things and this has the taint of a newspaper headline about it. There is some amazing work being done and in this instance I do not know the paper you are referencing but beyond that this really is not my area of science as far as me being able to trash or help confirm the merits of a paper so I will leave that there for now.

D

Deleted User

Then I guess the issue I have is different.
What happens with me is, when there's too much noise around for me to handle, then I usually go into sensory overload, which I think is kinda like an autism meltdown? I'm not 100% sure though.
I also have a ridiculously low tolerance for noise. It seems like what most people consider to be tolerable is too much for me.

Reactions: Deleted User

mgrev

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Then I guess the issue I have is different.
What happens with me is, when there's too much noise around for me to handle, then I usually go into sensory overload, which I think is kinda like an autism meltdown? I'm not 100% sure though.
I also have a ridiculously low tolerance for noise. It seems like what most people consider to be tolerable is too much for me.
i think we actually have the same, its just that i am completely terrible at explaining. i also go into that sensority overload when there is too much noise

D

Deleted User

That's alright. Still, I have an implant to allow me to hear anything electronic. Music, games, basically anything that has a head phone jack. I have these neat little earbuds for me. That's the only reason I can hear such things.
Why not get a microphone and a noice canceller? get two, make it a stereo output and mount them to your left and right shoulder? You could even have a volume control so you could turn people down :P
If you need to plug it into the headphone jack, you could solder it together (buy two small microphones), or I'm sure a company wouldn't mind making that.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Why not get a microphone and a noice canceller? get two, make it a stereo output and mount them to your left and right shoulder? You could even have a volume control so you could turn people down :P
That would make me even less sociably active. Looking like that in public would be humiliating. Believe me, I've thought of that.
1: I can't find a microphone at just the right sensitivity. It will make my implant stop working. Besides, I plan on removing the implant. I hate the limited hearing. I rather have no hearing than limited.

mgrev

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
That would make me even less sociably active. Looking like that in public would be humiliating. Believe me, I've thought of that.
1: I can't find a microphone at just the right sensitivity. It will make my implant stop working. Besides, I plan on removing the implant. I hate the limited hearing. I rather have no hearing than limited.
why not a better implant? or is the one you can have the best currently available

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
yeah, i understand that. i would neither want to do that
It's just an awful thing to be deaf. As I told many people from some private convos: It wouldn't bother a person that was born this way; they are born that way. They don't understand how it feels to lose a whole sense. It's something else when a hearing person loses it. It really makes me sociably shy and incapable of going to normal schools.

D

Deleted User

In the UK you'd get a quite large sum of money every month, but you should save up IMO.
Plus, you can change a sensitivity.

mgrev

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
It's just an awful thing to be deaf. As I told many people from some private convos: It wouldn't bother a person that was born this way; they are born that way. They don't understand how it feels to lose a whole sense. It's something else when a hearing person loses it. It really makes me sociably shy and incapable of going to normal schools.
and, being deaf doest feel like the silence you get when you are alone outside in the woods or similar does it?

D

Deleted User

For example: I get £308 every month (well my mum does, I get £50 out of it for myself for my mum to look after me and help me, etc..) due to my Aspergers, you could get up to £500 a month.

Seriel

Doing her best
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This applies to quite a lot of situations. If you're in a bad way forever, you don't mind as much but if you were alright and then something bad happens, it's like 10x worse.

Ruby Gloom

GBAtemp Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I work 3 ( sorta legit... [ I'm 13. ] ) jobs. I draw for people. I help my family and friends on their farms. And, I assist people with electronics in my city. It's all to pay for the equipment I have. The implant is a pretty penny.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

and, being deaf doest feel like the silence you get when you are alone outside in the woods or similar does it?
Not quite sure I understand that question. It's sorta like being at home alone. It's quiet. Nothing to be heard. ( Being deaf doesn't always imply that someone can't hear. It could mean they have 90% hearing loss. ) I have pretty much 100% of it gone. I can't hear a tornado siren if I fell asleep next to one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-