Atmosphère version 0.8.4 has been released

37918415.png

Happy June 15! @SciresM has released a new update for his Atmosphère Switch CFW, which is now able to boot on firmware 7.0.1 and 7.0.0 without the need for end-users to provide any keys.

For those out of the loop, initial 7.0.0 support was already added some time ago (31st of January) but it did not include a key derivation algorithm for said firmware, relying on a bring-your-own-keys (BYOK) approach instead. Said keys were private and only a few individuals had access to them, meaning the average user was not able to make use of this feature. Some time later a minor firmware revision was released, 7.0.1. The update contained very few changes and the TSEC was left untouched, meaning whatever key derivation algorithm was being made for the previous firmware would work painlessly on the newest one aswell.

Now, said algorithm is finally complete and has been included in the aforementioned release. The new approach relies on a payload called "sept" (which is french for "seven") which gets automatically executed by fusee-primary if the CFW detects it needs to get the 7.0.X keys from the TSEC. It only adds around a second to the total boot time without the need of any user interaction. It comes pre-signed on release builds, thus making it a full non-BYOK solution for regular users, however if you're a developer or power user who likes to compile unofficial builds directly from the source you will still need the appropriate keys to sign it.

The new release also comes with other improvements and changes, some of which were already pushed to the repository sometime ago (for example, the improved reboot to payload function). The full changelog is as follows:
0.8.4 is Atmosphère's tenth official release.

fusee-primary was last updated in: 0.8.4.

The following was changed since the last release:

• Support for 7.0.0/7.0.1 was added.
    • This is facilitated through a new payload, sept, which can be signed, encrypted, and then loaded by Nintendo's TSEC firmware.
    • sept will derive the keys needed to boot new firmware, and then load sept/payload.bin off the SD card and jump to it.
  • Recognition of applications for override/mitm has been improved.
    • Nintendo's official Title ID range (0x0100000000000000-0x01FFFFFFFFFFFFFF) is now enforced.
  • A deadlock condition was fixed involving libstratosphere mitm sysmodules.
  • Kernel patches for JIT support were added (Thanks, @m4xw!).
    • These loosen restrictions on caller process in svcControlCodeMemory.
  • set.mitm and fs.mitm were merged into a single ams_mitm sysmodule.
    • This saves a process ID, allowing users to run one additional process up to the 0x40 process limit.
  • A bpc.mitm component was added, performing custom behavior on shutdown/reboot requests from am or applications.
    • Performing a reboot from the reboot menu now reboots to atmosphere. This can be configured via system_settings.ini.
    • Performing a shutdown from the reboot menu now works properly with AutoRCM, and does a real shutdown.
  • General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

This version can be downloaded from Atmosphère's releases page on its GitHub repository (link in the sources below).

:arrow: Source
:arrow: GBAtemp thread

Last edited by RattletraPM,

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Don't nitpick, I know perfectly well what Kosmos is. It was the simplest way to answer the question.

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Don't nitpick, I know perfectly well what Kosmos is. It was the simplest way to answer the question.

but nitpicking is what the majority of posters in this thread only ever engage in. Hmm no homebrew support, no backup support.. I think I'll pass and continue using what I have already since there is nothing that requires 7.x yet.

fennectech

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
not nessesarily I use sig patches so i dont need to pull out my skyrim cart when i want to play it. Plus homebrew nsps (i think) require sig patches aswell.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It should only take a short while for the other CFW to implement this anyway. They will have to use Atmosphere's signed sept so it will be interesting to see if TX are willing to use sept with the Atmosphere splashscreen! Kosmos would not care about the spashscreen though, and I doubt it would cause an issue with ReiNX either.

Kosmos are just waiting for hekate to be updated first.

fst312

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is kosmos the reason I never see the atmosphere splash screen. All I see when I load atmosphere payload is all the kips loading up or is it because I use those sig patches to load backups.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is kosmos the reason I never see the atmosphere splash screen. All I see when I load atmosphere payload is all the kips loading up or is it because I use those sig patches to load backups.
Kosmos just doesn’t display the Atmosphere splashscreen, it’s that simple.

In future, the splashscreen for sept will presumably be displayed however.

tpax

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Oh that's really nice, good release.

Now I'll be waiting for a mature 7.0.x support, that'll come with the SX OS update.

grabman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for noob question but when i use sxos to load hekate on a 7.0 switch then try to launch cfw i get an error do i have to load this a different way? Thanks for any help.

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
If this would allow me to utilize homebrew while allowing me to play my legit stuff online (I don't deal with Switch piracy/cheats/save editing/etc) with no banning (or so low to be negligeable), then I'll gladly stop using 6.2 SX Emunand.
As far as I am aware, there have been no reported bans from people just using homebrew using title replacement. Bans come from installing unofficial nsps, be they pirated games or homebrew nsps. Just use title replacement to launch homebrew and a ban is highly unlikely.

Adran_Marit

Walküre's Hacker
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
As far as I am aware, there have been no reported bans from people just using homebrew using title replacement. Bans come from installing unofficial nsps, be they pirated games or homebrew nsps. Just use title replacement to launch homebrew and a ban is highly unlikely.

you can check ban stuff here

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/4M3E1Lz6l9E?si=fSYNJxYTa0czXVow