Ataribox Design Revealed

Ataribox1Resize.jpg
The Ataribox, a new console by Atari, has been circulating the net for a while. We finally have confirmation as to what it looks like, and the fact that it will be a modern console, competing with PS4 and Xbox One! It will also support old Atari games, probably through emulation, but that is not Atari's main focus. There are two designs to choose from, the "wood" model and a "red/black" model.
Atari said:
Inspired by classic Atari design elements (such as the iconic use of wood, ribbed lines, and raised back); we are creating a smooth design, with ribs that flow seamlessly all around the body of the product, a front panel that can be either wood or glass, a front facing logo, indicator lights that glow through the material, and an array of new ports.
AtariWood1Resize.jpg

AtariRed1Resize.jpg
It has also been revealed that the Ataribox will have HDMI, 4 USB ports, and an SD card slot. Below is an image of what the red model looks like from the front and back.
AtariRedBackResize.jpg
More details are to be revealed soon!

:arrow:Source

Bateees

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually like the design. I hope the games are played using the sd card slot but that's probably too much to hope for. I just hope Atari doesn't bring back the old joystick with one button as the only authentic controller.

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm casually interested in this thing, simply because Atari doesn't really have any memorable nostalgia characters to fall back on for first-party games. Third-party games are a huge plus, but first-party games sell consoles. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all have hugely popular characters that they rely on to sell millions of games, whether the games are good are not, and it's gotten old (looking squarely at you, Metroid Prime Federation Force). Because of the lack of nostalgia characters, Atari really needs to bring their A game when making first-party games or they'll go out of business, which means, theoretically, we're either going to see some amazing games, or we're going to watch the company self-destruct.

I'm really hoping this console can put some pressure on the big 3 to stop releasing crap just to cash in some nostalgia bucks.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm casually interested in this thing, simply because Atari doesn't really have any memorable nostalgia characters to fall back on for first-party games. Third-party games are a huge plus, but first-party games sell consoles. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all have hugely popular characters that they rely on to sell millions of games, whether the games are good are not, and it's gotten old (looking squarely at you, Metroid Prime Federation Force). Because of the lack of nostalgia characters, Atari really needs to bring their A game when making first-party games or they'll go out of business, which means, theoretically, we're either going to see some amazing games, or we're going to watch the company self-destruct.

I'm really hoping this console can put some pressure on the big 3 to stop releasing crap just to cash in some nostalgia bucks.
They've got Centipede, but that might be a stretch yeah

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

atari doesnt have a maskot but they have their set of games like asteroids, centipede,missile comand and so on, they released this games on every atari system lol.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Kleyon

Trophies
XP
Country
France
It could be nice to see Atari back to videogame, I just hope it will not be another Android box...

Edit : And damn, seems like it will be the case, thanks, no thanks XD

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It could be nice to see Atari back to videogame, I just hope it will not be another Android box...

Edit : And damn, seems like it will be the case, thanks, no thanks XD
it has no disc drive or cartrige slot so yeah its probably just an android box lol

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Darn. If they had designed it solely to emulate Atari games and was $40-$60, that would've been an immediate must buy. But if they are going to make it into a more expensive contraption where playing original Atari games seems more like an afterthought, then I have no interest. I already have a Switch, and I'm setting up a RetroPi box.

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
atari doesnt have a maskot but they have their set of games like asteroids, centipede,missile comand and so on, they released this games on every atari system lol.

Do you know even one person who would fork over $300 - $500 (price yet unknown but if they plan on making a run at modern gaming it'll be up there) to play Asteroids and Centipede?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E