Are you still using any hardware that came out more than a decade ago? What for?

orangy57

bruh
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My thinkpad x220t is almost 11 years old now, but still runs like a champ. Newer laptops have been sacrificing functionality for the sake of being more slim. I bought a newer HP laptop in 2019 and I gave it to my sister since it was too annoying to use. No nipple which I could've lived with, no spot to hold your pen for a TABLET LAPTOP, shitty keyboard, and it thermal throttled since the tiny heatsink couldn't even cool off the CPU.

I can live with the crappy battery life on my thinkpad if it means that I don't have to deal with the terrible state of modern x86 laptops. I won't upgrade until I absolutely need to, and ARM laptops will probably become a viable option in another decade or so.

Reactions: plasturion

Sphaa

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm still using my original MX518 mouse that's 18 years old I believe, simply because it works well and I like it.
At my cabin I'm using a laptop that's 12 year old. I just use it for news and weather and for that it works well
Last I have a C64 and Amiga 1200 that I use for nostalgia

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My home desktop is close to a decade old, using a CPU released in 2014.

It's not even supported by Windows 11 and my motherboard doesn't have a TPM chip either so I'm stuck on W10.

Can't justify an upgrade but luckily I'm not majorly fussed about it 🤷
same with my tv, which actually has a vga connection, since I was still using one of those computers not that long ago. I can't justify investing in a smart tv unless this one fails. I've thought about buying one, though, for downstairs, so I can game outside of my bedroom.

for the original question, maybe the wiiu. I'm going to start playing on the ps3 once I complete a few more ps4/5 games, starting with tales of graces f. I'm on a tales of high, having beaten arise on the ps5, and berseria on the ps4. playing zestiria now, on the ps4, and I have no idea where to go atm.

plasturion

temporary hermit
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I can relate, till now I don't see any reason to change my x220 that has very comfy keyboard and useful trackpoint and led bulb lamp. Very good looking solid and well designed laptop, still working like a charm now for the tasks I need.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Still using my old Asus PG191 LCD monitor from 2006. I got a 32" OLED monitor as well, but it shows how good Asus's build quality was back then. Not my picture though.

pg191.jpg

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At work our monitor says 1994 on the back…
can you believe that the last job I had wouldn't even let me near a computer? I was delegated to taking out the trash. I could run laps around their IT people. you better believe I could either do what they do or could find out really quickly. I'm not some idiot.

Reactions: AmandaRose

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
Am not sure if this counts but I don't operate a smart phone so my cheap phones although recently bought are old school technology from the 2000's with a keypad and tiny screen and no touch screen.

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
can you believe that the last job I had wouldn't even let me near a computer? I was delegated to taking out the trash. I could run laps around their IT people. you better believe I could either do what they do or could find out really quickly. I'm not some idiot.
I can sympathize with that. A lot of people have had at least one job where they were undervalued. It's almost always about money nowadays. I hope your current job is better for you.

Reactions: godreborn

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good that it is still being used.
Depending upon how much the monitor is used and what tech it is (likely CRT at that age, though a few LCDs did exist) then maybe not.

I have had to run the power calculations for people before (though for TVs) and even accounting for cost of creation/purchase then it made sense after about 8 months of use to swap panels, and that was before the recent massive rise in power costs.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
It'd be easier for me to list my electronics newer than 10y old lol

For brevity I've only mentioned things i regularly use at least once a week or so
  • iPod nano 6, 2010, watch and music player
  • PowerBook G4 (12"), 2005, semi-frequently used laptop
  • Mac Pro, 2008, desktop computer
  • LCD Monitors, 2009(?), forget which brand but iirc they said 2009, my cousin gave them to me when he replaced them lol
  • PS Vita, 2012, main game console (though the slim was 2013)
  • DSi, 2008, 2nd most used game console
  • Samsung LCD TV, 2009, my TV idk exact model
  • Sony MDR-E9LP earphones, 2010(?), my headphones based on copyright on box
  • Honorable mention – MacBook Air (13"), 2013, daily driver laptop, 10th birthday is soon
  • Half my clothes are probably that old as most are from thrift stores lol

Really my only notable exception besides my MacBook is my eReader, which is from 2018

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
I use a cannon P21-D printing calculator for a lot of things. It's nice to a log of all your math on a strip of paper. That way you can look back to see if you made a mistake earlier on. I think they're from the 80s.
1673479424102.png

I also use a modded Wii for internet radio. Mostly the CBC, but I've got a few local music stations set up too.

Reactions: Mewspaper

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm using a notebook that's essentially this one's above except it has a 17" screen, 1TB HDD, and 8GB RAM. It's a budget notebook that I use for email, browse, office word/excel, and so on.

Guess I could play old games on it if I'd wanted and I will, eventually. That'll be Sonic 3D Blast DX and Outlaws + A Handful of Missions. Oh, and Wanted: Dead or Alive.

I'll be trying this game when I got time: https://www.myabandonware.com/game/western-outlaw-wanted-dead-or-alive-enu

Looks like a shitty version of Red Dead Revolver. lol Maybe it's actually a good game with rough graphics.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: you can fap to your favorite character without it being gay