Are we all being serious

rujoeking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have always been a regular visitor to GBAtemp,
I am an active member in the hacking community and was heavily involved in the original DS "passme" development and testing.
I have signed up with an "anonymous" alias as I felt I needed to speak and know I will be shot down in flames.
I know this is the "Hacking and Homebrew" section of the site and I know that this is not in line with the Forum Topic, however, the correct target audience are here so I do think this is the most relevant place to post.

The attitude of some people in the forum is atrocious.

You do nothing but flame other people while sat on your high horse adding nothing to the community yourselves.
You are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the hacking community of which I would normally say I was proud to be a member of.
People come on the forums for help and to try to contribute, WE ALL HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE, all they get in return are sarcastic comments and bi**ing it is disgusting.
would it be so hard to direct people in the right way and politely advise them when they have done something wrong?
no... it wouldn't. if you spoke to people in the street like you speak to them on here... I would imagine you would have broken arms and legs...

People deserve respect, there is not a lot of that in this community.

I'm just as entitled to post my opinion as all the flamers in here so I have...

let the flaming begin.

lex luthor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
machomuu said:
lex luthor said:
machomuu said:
lex luthor said:
I always remember a Thread some time ago and because people didn't like it they demanded it to be closed. If they didn't like it why bother posting and arguing.

Sometimes we made related questions to something and usually we get flamed too. For example let's say I create a thread Asking about a list of 3ds games containing updates and which update.

I may receive answers like:

1) There isn't any list (appropriate answer)

or

2) DO A FUCKIN SEARCH YOU IDIOT! (inappropriate answer from a dick when there is really nothing to search ). This last reply is one that happens a lot and there's no reason for it IF the question made it's really valid.
Even valid questions require searching. Other than the language I see nothing wrong with answer 2.
The problem with answer 2 is that sometimes people want you to perform something that maybe you already did and on top of that they do it in a bad tone that may seem insulting sometimes.

Answer 2 should be instead:

Did you make a search? (This way is much more comfortable than the previous unnecessary burst)
Meh, well with many questions it's unlikely that they did, moreover some people tend to lie when you ask them things like that.
I know Macho but the whole point in this thread is to be more flexible with noobs. I know you are mostly right but if people want to flame is best to refrain from doing it as some guy posted earlier.

Apex

Trophies
XP
Country
This is the internet, you should be used to it by now.

There are the people who ask the stupid questions now, and the people who asked the stupid questions before, who harass anyone else for asking a similar question, claiming they 'should have searched for it.' well a search for flashcart information probably brought you here, and instead of wading through forty thousand pages of unanswered threads full of people telling you to search for the answer, they just made a simply question thread.

There are those who do not use proper spelling and grammar, who get criticized as if they are stupid for not putting more effort to get the same point across, and then there are those who criticize them, who in turn complain because paragraphs are to big, and things aren't more concise; tldr.

There are those who will complain about other people being jerks, who will ultimately never get anything accomplished, and there are those who just accept that the internet comes with no warranty, you get what you get, deal with it, you can't change it.

People will troll you simply because you take yourself too seriously.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first dozen times, sure... After that can you see how it might get frustrating to the people who frequent the boards and see them cluttered with nonsense?

lex luthor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
The first dozen times, sure... After that can you see how it might get frustrating to the people who frequent the boards and see them cluttered with nonsense?
Yes, you are right but let's be in the shoes of the noob. Someone posted earlier that it would be nicer to guide the noob in the proper direction than flaming him.

...honestly I get your point of seeing idiotic threads (which I hate) specially when a thread is like this:

TITLE= New way to play 3ds videos (one might think it's some innovation from some dev)

and the content is something like:

is there a newer way to play videos on the 3ds? (a really dumb question that makes one feel disappointed)

Ringo619

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yep you hardly ever get the answer you want , like i have a r4 and when i need help people tell me to buy a different flash cart and stuff, or when i ask a fix for my ysmenu people tell me to use wood and everything , kinda annoying since you never get the answer you want , but there are people out their who help and are't smart asses about it

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
lex luthor said:
Old8oy said:
There. Are. Some. Questions. That. Needn't. Be. Asked.

Seriously.
LOL you are right there and a simple "yes" or "no" is enough to answer those questions.

What's wrong with that "How long will it take for 3DS to be hacked"? You do realize this IS a hacking community right? I thought that thread was great.

lex luthor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
lex luthor said:
Old8oy said:
There. Are. Some. Questions. That. Needn't. Be. Asked.

Seriously.
LOL you are right there and a simple "yes" or "no" is enough to answer those questions.

What's wrong with that "How long will it take for 3DS to be hacked"? You do realize this IS a hacking community right? I thought that thread was great.
you are asking this to Old8oy, right?

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:

Yeah. It's a "hacking" community, not a "fortune-telling" community.
It's not like we can really put a timeline on an unknown.

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
_Chaz_ said:
Old8oy said:
while this is being discussed...what exactly qualifies as "worthy" frontpage news? It's not like there's a whole lot happening at the moment...
Personally, I'd like to see news.
But what better news then news of the industry? There really is no news of hacking yet... The handhelds are still fairly new.
To be honest... sometimes the frontpage news are kind of "meh"
E.g: I always see news like: "the new xbox will have graphics like james cameron's avatar", "the new sony ngp will launch rockets to the moon" or "New Xbox, Playstation to be "10x more powerful", According to John Carmack".... always the same stuff.

Today marks the 25th anniversary of Metroid. Every major gaming site is reporting that... except gbatemp.
sleep.gif

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Just because you've personally answered a question 80 times before doesn't mean you can be a dick.

You don't HAVE to post in every thread you read, you know.

Fuck, you don't even need to LOOK at a thread if you don't want to.

Maybe a mod could keep an eye on the boards and close these topics before we can get to them with a simple message...

"Topic Closed: Read the Sticky"

or

"Topic Closed: Please Use Search Function or Google..."

And you don't HAVE to answer every question you see and promote the behavior that draws all of the criticism and flaming...

btw, Welcome Back
wink.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
And you don't HAVE to answer every question you see and promote the behavior that draws all of the criticism and flaming...
You know if you get shot and left for dead on the side of the road, people don't HAVE to stop and try to help you.

But isn't the world a better place when people AREN'T dickholes?

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Old8oy said:
You know if you get shot and left for dead on the side of the road, people don't HAVE to stop and try to help you.

But isn't the world a better place when people AREN'T dickholes?

That's a pretty poor analogy... I can honestly say that I'd be right there to help someone if they were in any sort of danger. I've been in life or death situations. I've made those decisions. People don't HAVE to stop and help you, and a lot of people likely won't...

I can also honestly say that nothing that has been discussed in this topic is a life or death situation. Sure, the world is a better place when people aren't dickholes, but it goes both ways. There are the dickholes who feel entitled and expect things to be done for them and there are the dickholes who flame them for it.

It all comes down to people and their "feelings". If you're someone who can let the opinions and words of strangers hurt your feelings, the internet is not for you. Nor is the workforce. Nor is middle school. Nor are family dinners.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let be the first upteenth one to tell you that this is the internet. There are retards, tough guys, and bullies and all other interations that defines (trolls, 12 year olds, etc). Then there are the people that tell it like it is. Whether the answer is what seems nice or not. There are questions that are asked so often that the answer in on the first page of the damn forum. It's fucking annoying when you have 7 different topics asking the same yes or no answer. A little exaggerated I know, but these people are extremely prevalant and annoying. Attempts to keep an organized beginner's guide are common and useful. If they aren't used though, then what the hell are they there for?

I myself answer any question I can with knowledgeable and clear answers. Sometimes it comes off as rude, but then again if I see the same question on the first page of the same forum section, I might be a little annoyed. Contrary to popular belief, GBAtemp isn't the only source of hacking, and programming know how on the Internet. I think many of your observations are correct, but many times the person asking the question just wants to jump into an incredibly complicated field. Thee people are green, inexperienced, and many times, extremely annoying. Sometimes they are even rude when they don't recieve immediate gratification and help, or when they are told to look somewhere else.

Someone mentioned the mods earlier, and I wish to touch on the subject. Mods are people, not robots. They are volunteers and they can't be here all the time. They may not have all the time to clean up legitimate questions which might seem silly. If you want to help them, flag the inappropriate topics by reporting them.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lincruste said:
Rydian said:
In USA.
In some states.

The reason people don't call 911 or some other help line is because everyone else thinks that others have called 911. It's seen more in cities and tightly packs suburbs. I have heard a story of a guy that was stabbed and lay bleeding and pleading for help on a sidewalk, and nobody called 911 for almost an hour. Some guys even took pictures of him, or with buddies next to him. It's sickening.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sterling said:
lincruste said:
Rydian said:
In USA.
In some states.

The reason people don't call 911 or some other help line is because everyone else thinks that others have called 911. It's seen more in cities and tightly packs suburbs. I have heard a story of a guy that was stabbed and lay bleeding and pleading for help on a sidewalk, and nobody called 911 for almost an hour. Some guys even took pictures of him, or with buddies next to him. It's sickening.
And lazy as well as ignorant.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/sQK1btk8ZUs?si=Z4p2kuM_7fXV7_Ps