Are we all being serious

rujoeking

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I have always been a regular visitor to GBAtemp,
I am an active member in the hacking community and was heavily involved in the original DS "passme" development and testing.
I have signed up with an "anonymous" alias as I felt I needed to speak and know I will be shot down in flames.
I know this is the "Hacking and Homebrew" section of the site and I know that this is not in line with the Forum Topic, however, the correct target audience are here so I do think this is the most relevant place to post.

The attitude of some people in the forum is atrocious.

You do nothing but flame other people while sat on your high horse adding nothing to the community yourselves.
You are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the hacking community of which I would normally say I was proud to be a member of.
People come on the forums for help and to try to contribute, WE ALL HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE, all they get in return are sarcastic comments and bi**ing it is disgusting.
would it be so hard to direct people in the right way and politely advise them when they have done something wrong?
no... it wouldn't. if you spoke to people in the street like you speak to them on here... I would imagine you would have broken arms and legs...

People deserve respect, there is not a lot of that in this community.

I'm just as entitled to post my opinion as all the flamers in here so I have...

let the flaming begin.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a pretty sensitive topic and I'm enjoying the fact that we actually seem to be having a grown-up conversation here instead of people flaming back and forth like most of these types of threads turn into.

@iggloovortex
defense of what?

if you mean "in defense of Old8oy", cool, I 100% agree with the fact that stickies are easy to locate and people should be checking them first before posting a question.

if you mean "in defense , Old8oy", that's exactly my point... regardless of how "difficult" it might be to search out the answer to a question, the stickies are always in the same place and should be checked first....

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
*snip*

if you mean "in defense , Old8oy", that's exactly my point... regardless of how "difficult" it might be to search out the answer to a question, the stickies are always in the same place and should be checked first....
So are we on the same page? i thought we were against each other
tongue.gif

EDIT: The signs were meant as stickies as well.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My "stance" is that Google exists and the stickies are in the same place in every section of the forum. It's the member's responsibility to use them. It's not the community's responsibility to direct each and every individual to them.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
My "stance" is that Google exists and the stickies are in the same place in every section of the forum. It's the member's responsibility to use them. It's not the community's responsibility to direct each and every individual to them.
The problem with forum communities, is the fact that no matter how up to date stickies are, if they aren't used, then there is no point. The same problem occurs here. For every person who uses a sticky, there are 3 or more people who don't.

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
Oh ok so we are on the same page lol.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
Not much of an argument. I thought Rydian and I were having a grown-up discussion.

In a perfect world, I'd completely agree with what all of the friendly, supportive people here are trying to accomplish. But...here comes an analogy...would you walk into Calculus 321 (hacks and exploits) and start throwing out questions and theories without completing the pre-requisite courses of Calculus 101 (google search) and Calculus 211 (reading stickies)? I suppose if you were some self-taught prodigy, maybe you would... How many of the "noob" questions come from self-taught prodigies?
Then point him towards calculus 101 and show him what he has to do, and don't be an asshat about it.

Just because people ask stupid questions doesn't mean you have to rage at them, if you really can't handle being nice just don't post.

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
Very interesting theory op as I come to the conclusion that I have always been a regular visitor to GBAtemp,
I am an active member in the hacking community and was heavily involved in the original DS "passme" development and testing.
I have signed up with an "anonymous" alias as I felt I needed to speak and know I will be shot down in flames.
I know this is the "Hacking and Homebrew" section of the site and I know that this is not in line with the Forum Topic, however, the correct target audience are here so I do think this is the most relevant place to post.

The attitude of some people in the forum is atrocious.

You do nothing but flame other people while sat on your high horse adding nothing to the community yourselves.
You are a disgrace and an embarrassment to the hacking community of which I would normally say I was proud to be a member of.
People come on the forums for help and to try to contribute, WE ALL HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE, all they get in return are sarcastic comments and bi**ing it is disgusting.
would it be so hard to direct people in the right way and politely advise them when they have done something wrong?
no... it wouldn't. if you spoke to people in the street like you speak to them on here... I would imagine you would have broken arms and legs...

People deserve respect, there is not a lot of that in this community.

I'm just as entitled to post my opinion as all the flamers in here so I have...

let the flaming begin.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
you might want to use the [quote][/quote] tags

Wake this thread up 5 days later? Really trying to hit 3000, eh?

I'll write up a guide on how to use Google and see if I can get a mod to sticky it.

1. Go to www.google.com
2. Type what you are looking for in the text box
3. Click search
4. Follow the link that best fits your needs

Hope I didn't ruin anything...

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
Terminator02 said:

I'll write up a guide on how to use Google and see if I can get a mod to sticky it.

1. Go to www.google.com
3. Click search

Honestly I don't think he cares about it post count that much.

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
Terminator02 said:

1. Go to www.google.com
3. Click search

1. you quoted the wrong post
2. i was on vacation and was semi checking gbatemp, i just saw the thread on the way home and replied again
3. i've now increased my post count once again

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
Actual technically-minded ROM hacking communities are just as bad in different ways. GBAtemp has the good, you just gotta sift through the bad and put some posters on your personal 'ignore' list.

Publicly visible post count can ruin these places though. It encourages certain people's posting behaviour while discouraging long though out contributions. People should be recognized for the contributions; one's legacy isn't in the number of quips. Post count should be reset to 0 periodically.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heran Bago said:
Publicly visible post count can ruin these places though. It encourages certain people's posting behaviour while discouraging long though out contributions. People should be recognized for the contributions; one's legacy isn't in the number of quips. Post count should be reset to 0 periodically.
You are completely right and this is because I know the feeling first hand, it's sort of like there is a prejudice for those that have low post counts and a stereotype for people with high post counts, and you will be inclined to respond to someone a certain way based on their post count.

retKHAAAN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Terminator02 said:
1. you quoted the wrong post
2. i was on vacation and was semi checking gbatemp, i just saw the thread on the way home and replied again
3. i've now increased my post count once again

Lol. A couple more.

I don't think post count has much to do with it. (and I hope you realize I was joking Terminator02
wink.gif
)

I think it's more that some people learned and then came here while some people came here to learn. I've had my share of threads/posts flamed around when I joined. I stuck to it, picked up on what I could, and as I result I was able to work with some great people on some great things. I guess I just don't have sympathy for the people who take it personally.

Though I do believe a little moderation could go a long way. As could warns/suspensions. Simply deleting unnecessary posts doesn't seem to have much of an effect (and the majority of posts go unnoticed). In the facility where I work the rule is "firm, fair, and consistent". While this obviously isn't a correctional facility I think that rule still should apply without mods being seen as bullies.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old8oy said:
I think it's more that some people learned and then came here while some people came here to learn. I've had my share of threads/posts flamed around when I joined. I stuck to it, picked up on what I could, and as I result I was able to work with some great people on some great things. I guess I just don't have sympathy for the people who take it personally.
I do think a little noob flaming can go a long way, though. While I don't encourage it (I am definitely NOT saying you should do it) and think it's just mean, but it does encourage us to...well...not be noobs. I can't say I like the idea of flaming noobs, but I'm just saying (look back to my first topic, I don't really know if I was acting noobish, but that really helped. Well, that and Guild who used an indirect "tough love" approach).

BobTheJoeBob

The most optimistic person on the temp. :)
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
machomuu said:
Old8oy said:
I do think a little noob flaming can go a long way, though. While I don't encourage it (I am definitely NOT saying you should do it) and think it's just mean, but it does encourage us to...well...not be noobs.
Or make them leave the forums and make them resent it and its members forever.

Now, to be honest, I'd prefer it if those kind of people left, but honestly, I feel more encouraged to do something right next time when it's said nicely to me. I'm sure that applies to most people. I really don't agree with flaming new members 'cause they made one mistake. Of course, a second time, go ahead.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BobTheJoeBob said:
machomuu said:
Old8oy said:
I do think a little noob flaming can go a long way, though. While I don't encourage it (I am definitely NOT saying you should do it) and think it's just mean, but it does encourage us to...well...not be noobs.
Or make them leave the forums and make them resent it and its members forever.
Yeah, I've thought about that omitted that part though. It's basically a coin flip type thing, some can take it and some can't. It's a harsh system that works at a price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Sup nerds +1