Anything i should do before connecting windows 10 to the internet?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
However your employer very well might, and your insurance companies as well. And you can bet that Microsoft will be more than willing to sell them access to all that information for a small fee.
Mm, I doubt that. Especially since Microsoft has no control over Chrome, I don't use Windows (for the third time), and my five bookmarks and non-existent social media accounts are very interesting. Not to mention none of my clientele says "show us your bookmarks before we hire you". Think I'm in the clear.

Last edited by Joom,

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But then they'd have nothing to complain about.
True... Heads might spontaneously detonate without that outlet. Hmm, quite a situation. Well, I have to stick with my previous post, which roughly translates to, "Stop using the thing you hate and shut up, or use it and still shut up."

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Instead of typing more, here is my other post...

Also, you sign in with a Microsoft account so your crap syncs and, oh, actually works. Imagine that, interconnectivity!

And then if your internet goes out you lose access to all your files because your "my documents" is redirected to OneDrive. Unless you override the defaults in advance.

Last edited by nl255,

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And then if your internet goes out you lose access to all your files because your "my documents" is redirected to OneDrive.
COPIED to OneDrive, not redirected. Or you could, oh, turn that off in about 5 seconds. Whatever works for you. Personally, I just have OneDrive disabled and my stuff saving to a drive not in use by the OS. Built-in redundancy.

D

Deleted User

COPIED to OneDrive, not redirected. Or you could, oh, turn that off in about 5 seconds. Whatever works for you. Personally, I just have OneDrive disabled and my stuff saving to a drive not in use by the OS. Built-in redundancy.
I straight up uninstalled onedrive minutes after i was done istalling 10.. same with candy crush saga/soda saga which got downloaded in an update somewhere along the line

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I straight up uninstalled onedrive minutes after i was done istalling 10.. same with candy crush saga/soda saga which got downloaded in an update somewhere along the line
Yup, same. It's not hard to stay on top of it. It literally takes seconds. Do I wish that I had more control over what MS directly loads to my machine during an update? Yeah, because I don't wanna play Candy Crush. But instead of freaking out, I just right click and click "Uninstall" and let it fade into oblivion. Not difficult.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Who gives a fuck about them selling user metrics? EVERYONE does that. By your logic you may as well smash your modem with a sledgehammer and take the SIM card out of your phone.

So now you entire browsing history, the contents of all your emails, and the contents of all your documents are now just "metrics" and it is no big deal for all of that to be for sale to the highest bidder now?

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No you're missing the point. I trade security for functionality any day of the week. All jokes aside I use my PC for work, not playing Candy Crush and watching big boobs. I can't my system lag EVER and I need all my software operational at all times. I trade the functionality of a PC for some dumb security updates any day of the week, cause I don't where a Tinfoilhat like you and I'm not paranoid about becoming part of a bot-net.

Security over function? Hells NO. My PC exists to function, not to help me with my Tinfoilhat problems. I guarantee most working people would much rather have a working PC without lagging then some super air tight security patch ridden Tinfoilhat PC. So, No, I couldn't give a flying fuck about MS's security patches. Never have and never will.
Your own argument defeats itself. You want a working PC, you use it for work, but don't update, leaving you vulnerable. Well, whatever, to each their own, but I still think it foolish.
You do realize that I'm joking about running for president right. I got a Chinese Triad icon as my Avatar, you really think I'm gonna run for president LOL.
Seriously...? This guy here SERIOUSLY thinks I actually thought that? Fuck this, I'm out. There comes a point when I get more things done yelling at a brick wall rather than talking to thick skulls.

Reactions: nxwing and Joom

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
So now you entire browsing history, the contents of all your emails, and the contents of all your documents are now just "metrics" and it is no big deal for all of that to be for sale to the highest bidder now?
Except this doesn't actually happen and you share the characteristics of a methamphetamine addict.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Except this doesn't actually happen and you share the characteristics of a methamphetamine addict.

Have you checked their privacy policy and what they claim to collect? Of course they scan and sell the contents of your documents which are all normally saved to OneDrive instead of your local hard drive. Has been that way since Windows 8/8.1. The contents of emails and browsing history is also sent, either as part of the cloud based "my documents" stuff or by cortana or whatever.

D

Deleted User

Have you checked their privacy policy and what they claim to collect? Of course they scan and sell the contents of your documents which are all normally saved to OneDrive instead of your local hard drive. Has been that way since Windows 8/8.1. The contents of emails and browsing history is also sent, either as part of the cloud based "my documents" stuff or by cortana or whatever.
My documents isn't cloud based, and cortana is completely optional

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I know I said I was done. But I'm invoking Furry Rules here, which means I can come back to stuff as I please. I think the one major thing we're forgetting here is that you are ONE user among MILLIONS (or at least several hundred thousand). The very idea that you'd be so damn important for MS to selectively have humans read your data personally is just insane.

Last edited by Arecaidian Fox,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Keep wearing your Tinfoilhat buddy. I know my PC and my Linux in and out, I don't need some MS patches to keep a tight ship. And I need my PC running at more than 2fps thank you very much.

P.S This was your answer.

Why would you block updates? Are you wanting security flaws on your system? I know a lot of scare hype gets thrown around about Windows 10, but I assure you that Microsoft could care less about spying on you.

That was your Tinfoilhat answer. The man asked how to block updates, you gave him a BS Tinfoilhat insane loony bin answer.

My answer was

You can use Gpedit and Regedit to permanently disable auto updates.

I even gave him a link to how to do it. Next time ANSWER the fucking question or don't bother posting. Nobody cares about your Russian botnet shit. The man had one simple question. You didn't answer him.
My hat pays well, so I will. Like I said, security is my job, and everything I say does not come from paranoia, but experience in the field.
spyzeus.jpg
Though I fail to see how not believing that Microsoft is spying on its customers equates to wearing a tinfoil hat. Anyway, I'm done with this thread. If anyone actually takes your advice, I honestly feel sorry for them. You might as well be telling them to stick their hand on a hot stove.

Reactions: nxwing

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A WORKING PC.

When my fucking PC lags from the newest update I CANNOT WORK?

Is that hard to understand? I need a WORKING PC.

I don't give a flying fuck about your Tinfoilhat complex or Russian Bot-Nets, I got work to do and I cannot have any Lag on my PC. I don't know how I can make this any clearer. WORKING PC. Not having the BS updates, does not effect my work in one bit, having the BS updates makes my PC slow. Do you understand my English.
I refer you (yet again) to me previous post about PC maintenance and updates...
Sounds like a bad update maybe, or perhaps the updates just smoothing out and normalizing. It happens. I'm running up-to-date Windows 10 on a PC comparable to yours, maybe even a little less powerful. Make sure your drives aren't fragmented, all your sectors are good, etc., check to see what apps run at startup and disable ones you don't need right away (like Skype or Steam). One of the more important things you can do is download a fresh Win10 ISO straight from MS and install that to get rid of any possible third party bloat. If you have multiple HDDs, use one for only the OS and lighter programs, store the heavy stuff (like Steam/games/emulators and ROMs, those kinds of things) on a separate drive and run them from there. Finally, I was having some laggy issues myself, but a new HDD fixed it, even though my drive was reporting as being perfectly healthy. Those are the kinds of things I have done to try and reduce lag on my system, and I'm quite happy with it. Sad to say, lag can happen no matter what OS you use.

Reactions: nxwing

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
My documents isn't cloud based, and cortana is completely optional

It is by default, since everything is sent to OneDrive. As for the other stuff yes, it is optional but so are sigchecks on the 3ds.

Okay, I know I said I was done. But I'm invoking Furry Rules here, which means I can come back to stuff as I please. I think the one major thing we're forgetting here is that you are ONE user among MILLIONS (or at lest several hundred thousand). The very idea that you'd be so damn important for MS to selectively have humans read your data personally is just insane.

Well if they don't care so much then why do they want to collect everything so badly? Exactly. Besides, it doesn't require humans looking at your formerly private data, computers can do all that and if you think it is "anonymous" think again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lol Veho.