Anything i should do before connecting windows 10 to the internet?

D

Deleted User

It is by default, since everything is sent to OneDrive. As for the other stuff yes, it is optional but so are sigchecks on the 3ds.
onedrive is just as optional as cortana... when i first installed 10 onedrive was deactivated and asking for permission to sync my shit to the cloud, i said no and uninstalled it

Reactions: nxwing

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if they don't care so much then why do they want to collect everything so badly? Exactly. Besides, it doesn't require humans looking at your formerly private data, computers can do all that and if you think it is "anonymous" think again.
Because the current technology allows them to collect data remotely and improve software for the end user by checking the metrics and seeing what works and what doesn't? Seems pretty straightforward to me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Doesn't change the fact that I had to delete the update to fix the problem, does it. I don't have the time nor do I care to make the time to go and figure out exactly how to fix the problem with the update. I just know that the PC lags with the update, so I delete the update, simple as that. I don't give a shit about the update enough to actually try to isolate the infinite amount of variables that might be causing the issue.
Bad updates happen (as I said), just like with any data retrieved from any source. It can get corrupted, or there could be hardware issues with your setup specifically (which remote data collection helps fix).

Reactions: nxwing

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
After you connect your PC to the internet, if you're all wigged out about Microsoft "spying" on you, you could download SpyBot Anti-Beacon.

@keven3477 in a thread that was infested with bad advice this reply wins the most useful post award. The concerns about Win 10 spying on your are very legitimate and very real, its a shame that MS felt the need to sully what I consider a great OS with inexcusable levels of privacy invasion. Anti Becon should be the second thing you install on any win 10 machine after a good antivirus.

And do not disable auto updates, only an idiot would insist on that being a great idea and try and force it down the throat of others.

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice guys, I know a few of these post went crazy but still I wanted to be informed on what could be best option, I am probably going to update and then run a blocker, antivirus, and spy beacon. however, I originally wanted to know if there should be anything ELSE before I connect to internet for example like if there was something that my computer locks me out as soon as I connect, I just wanted to be well informed. I am probably not going to use my computer for a few days anyway until my screen protector arrives and I wanted to see if I could get information by then.

Last edited by keven3477,
Reactions: Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox

fox-ott
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice guys, I know a few of these post went crazy but still I wanted to be informed on what could be best option, I am probably going to update and then run a blocker and spy beacon. however, I originally wanted to know if there should be anything ELSE before I connect to internet for example like if there was something that my computer locks me out as soon as I connect, I just wanted to be well informed. I am probably not going to use my computer for a few days anyway until my screen protector arrives and I wanted to see if I could get information by then.
Honestly, and from my own personal experience updating, most of your programs should migrate just fine. But for some reason my Documents, Pictures and Video libraries didn't. So, be safe and make backups first of anything you want to keep. Just because the installer says it will preserve files doesn't always mean it will work :P

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's some proof. It took me 2 seconds to find this. Literally just typed Windows 10 lags after update.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4iqaig/kb3156421_computer_is_slow_after_installing/

KB3156421 and KB3152599 literally slowed my computer down to a crawl. My curser was flopping around at like 2fps, it was like trying to play The Witcher 3 on voodoo GPU.

I uninstall those two turds of updates and like magic my PC was running top notch again.

Like I said each update introduces and infinite amount of variables across and infinite amount of system configurations causing an infinite amount of pain of the fucking ass for the end user.

Solution, fuck the updates.
The 2 KB updates can be uninstalled manualy right?

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
@keven3477 in a thread that was infested with bad advice this reply wins the most useful post award. The concerns about Win 10 spying on your are very legitimate and very real, its a shame that MS felt the need to sully what I consider a great OS with inexcusable levels of privacy invasion. Anti Becon should be the second thing you install on any win 10 machine after a good antivirus.

And do not disable auto updates, only an idiot would insist on that being a great idea and try and force it down the throat of others.

Actually, it is a good idea since unlike other versions of Windows, both recommended updates and driver updates (which are the ones that typically break things) are included in the auto updates. Unfortunately there is currently no way that I know of to force Windows 10 to only apply security updates automatically, it is all or nothing so the only other alternative is to disable auto updates entirely and manually check for updates once a week or so.

The 2 KB updates can be uninstalled manualy right?

Yes they can but they will just be reinstalled during the next update cycle unless you disable automatic updates. Of course, that means you have to manually check for security updates every so often so be sure to keep track of when patch tuesday is.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also, I really do hate people that just tell people to switch to Linux, because it's not that easy sometimes. When I got my MSI laptop, I could NOT run Linux on it out of the box. I had to go and toggle a shitload of stuff in the BIOS, then start Linux from a Live CD with a boot option enabled so it wouldn't crash within 5 minutes, all of it because of my processor and graphics card. That's not exactly user-friendly.

I didn't "just tell him to switch to Linux". I based my advice on Windows 10 and told him if he really wants a LTS system (because Windows 10 can only be used this way in the more expensive Pro version), he COULD switch to Linux. It was a side note, and it was in a nice tone, AFTER my Windows advice. Hows that malicious advice?

And I disabled the parts I considered "spying" on my Windows 10 install as well. It has been proven that the NSA broke into DataCenters of big internet companies or used National Security Letters to make them give them their data. Maybe it is paranoid, but my country had two periods in the last century where having your data leaked could have SERIOUS IMPACT on you or even your live. That's why most people in my country value their privacy very much.

And if you don't update your work PC, that is even worse. For most companies I work for this is even grounds for termination - and I agree.

Edit: Oh, and the guy claiming Ubuntu is spyware: if you mean the Amazon search bar, it was only in the Unity version and it's long gone. Most Windows switchers would be more comfortable with KDE or Cinnamon anyways. I personally prefer the Arch-based Antergos.

Last edited by Uwabami,
Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

And I'm there, reading, smiling at some replies, using my up to date Windows 10 laptop, having no issues at all, wodering why I have nothing to complain at.
The only issues I've been having with the Windows 10 laptop I'm using now are hardware issues. The wi-fi card keeps shitting itself, and it was actually worse when the laptop was on 8.1.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I didn't "just tell him to switch to Linux". I based my advice on Windows 10 and told him if he really wants a LTS system (because Windows 10 can only be used this way in the more expensive Pro version), he COULD switch to Linux. It was a side note, and it was in a nice tone, AFTER my Windows advice. Hows that malicious advice?

And I disabled the parts I considered "spying" on my Windows 10 install as well. It has been proven that the NSA broke into DataCenters of big internet companies or used National Security Letters to make them give them their data. Maybe it is paranoid, but my country had two periods in the last century where having your data leaked could have SERIOUS IMPACT on you or even your live. That's why most people in my country value their privacy very much.

And if you don't update your work PC, that is even worse. For most companies I work for this is even grounds for termination - and I agree.

Edit: Oh, and the guy claiming Ubuntu is spyware: if you mean the Amazon search bar, it was only in the Unity version and it's long gone. Most Windows switchers would be more comfortable with KDE or Cinnamon anyways. I personally prefer the Arch-based Antergos.
I wasn't targeting specific people, I've seen it often again and again that people just switch to Linux-based OSes if they're unsure of Windows 10. Literally just "Switch to Linux" or "Here's a Linux distro: ______". It doesn't help to solve the problem. I'm glad it hasn't been specifically stated here yet.

As for the updates, yeah, I can definitely see how that'd be grounds for termination. My High School had an agreement you had to sign to use the computers and wireless networks there, and one of the requirements was that you maintain your computer's software, including antivirus definitions and operating system updates, otherwise you could be in trouble if it was found that you were defying those terms. Granted nobody checked, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh just realized its about privacy, I hate windoze about that too. Try Tails if you're REALLY paranoid or just get windoze 7.

Windows has been calling home since at least XP. I think there was some talk about it back when 2000/ME came out as well. God, now I feel old again.

Reactions: Luglige

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Windows has been calling home since at least XP. I think there was some talk about it back when 2000/ME came out as well. God, now I feel old again.
Oh, well then.
200_s.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.