Anything i should do before connecting windows 10 to the internet?

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Yes I know, hahaha.

And they keep saying I am a delusionnal Windows 10 user, hahaha.
Windows 10 is a million times better than 7. At least it introduced Bash and can properly handle long character file names like a sane OS. It also utilizes DirectX in a better way than any other Windows version. People are just afraid of change. These are the same people that think the NSA cares enough to watch their petty weed deals and sexy conversations.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't use an antivirus except for the default windows defender, and I have not had any problems.

I also use noscript and request policy, and don't usually go to shady sites.
I throw NOD32 on any box I install Windows on for the firewall. It's very handy for reverse engineering malware. Other than that, AVs are technically useless against those that know what they're doing (IE, the ones that can do real damage). Adware and shit like fake AVs aside, an ecrypted RAT or banking trojan binary can ruin someone's life, and an AV will never detect them. The only true defense is common sense.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I throw NOD32 on any box I install Windows on for the firewall. It's very handy for reverse engineering malware. Other than that, AVs are technically useless against those that know what they're doing (IE, the ones that can do real damage). Adware and shit like fake AVs aside, an ecrypted RAT or banking trojan binary can ruin someone's life, and an AV will never detect them. The only true defense is common sense.
I'm just glad I wasn't the only one having this mindset.
I haven't gotten anything for a very long time.

Reactions: Joom

loco365

Trophies
XP
I don't use an antivirus except for the default windows defender, and I have not had any problems.

I also use noscript and request policy, and don't usually go to shady sites.
Same, tbh. I also upgraded to Pro and forced Windows to tell me that I need to reboot rather than have it do it for me.

Also, I really do hate people that just tell people to switch to Linux, because it's not that easy sometimes. When I got my MSI laptop, I could NOT run Linux on it out of the box. I had to go and toggle a shitload of stuff in the BIOS, then start Linux from a Live CD with a boot option enabled so it wouldn't crash within 5 minutes, all of it because of my processor and graphics card. That's not exactly user-friendly.

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to clear some stuff up, i want to block updates for reasons like if eventualy microsoft does put something on their updates that no one will want or like KSP mentioned it brings more lag but i am willing to update later on if need be.
Also, judge me if you must but i actually like internet explorer.
And i know that microsoft spying is not true but i still want some sort of protection just in case.

@keven3477

Here's how you can disable Windows 10 updates.
https://seowsource.com/disable-automatic-updates-using-group-policy-windows-10/

(P.S That nerdy looking Asian dude in the guide, AIN'T me, just in case you thought he was. I'm like a million times cooler than that dude, like Chan Ho Nam cool ;) and would never be caught dead writing nerdy Gpedit guides ever.)

Once done, it'll say "some settings are managed by your organization" in red, and you will not be able to turn on auto updates manually in the update settings. You can at any time manually update if you want. Hope this is helpful.

One thing I can't fucking stand is when someone asks a question and instead of an answer you get a bunch of reasons for why you do something else. This forum exists to help and answer questions on those less tech savvy than us, not to judge people. Regardless if you are wearing a Tinfoilhat or just like all your software to run properly without lag, I can don't care. I don't judge. Some people like auto updates, some don't, c'est la vie.

P.S I too love IE, I never use anything by Google, hate the company, I even use Bing for my search engine. LOL We share that at least.

Hope I answered your question.

Last edited by KSP,
Reactions: keven3477

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same, tbh. I also upgraded to Pro and forced Windows to tell me that I need to reboot rather than have it do it for me.

Also, I really do hate people that just tell people to switch to Linux, because it's not that easy sometimes. When I got my MSI laptop, I could NOT run Linux on it out of the box. I had to go and toggle a shitload of stuff in the BIOS, then start Linux from a Live CD with a boot option enabled so it wouldn't crash within 5 minutes, all of it because of my processor and graphics card. That's not exactly user-friendly.

Yes, the elitist answer of just use Linux then is annoying as fuck. I can't stand those people either, and I actually use Linux, I love the terminal and my sudo commands, NOT. Linux does have its uses, I mostly use it for work, and actually have dual boot Linux/Win 7 system. But I would never tell ppl to switch to Linux, cause its just a douche bag catch all answer that douche bags like to say to make themselves feel more douchy. Honestly if my work didn't have certain aspects that require Linux I'd never use it. That's just me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I only used Bing once because they offered me 1 month of Xbox Live for free if I used Bing :P (only had to use it for like 10 minutes, lol).
I love the pretty pictures LOL. Seriously I do. I can't live without a new artys fartys photo everyday. I'm hooked. Also I love giving Google the Fyou, cause I hate that BS happy go lucky, oreo cookie eating , world dominating crap company. Anything to fuck google's market penetration on search engines is good for me.

Last edited by KSP,
Reactions: Supster131

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
You shouldn't block updates regardless. They won't cause "lag". They're released for a reason and any sort of negativity is entirely hearsay. Like I've said a hundred times, Microsoft isn't spying on you or trying to push detrimental software on you. If you're this concerned, install a Linux that isn't Ubuntu because it has been proven to contain spyware, unlike Windows.

Since when is sending a list of every website you visit, every email you get, and pretty much everything you type to Microsoft as well as tracking your location 24/7 not spying on you? Especially since they state that advertisers can use all of that for "personalized" ads.

Again, please post a KB denoting any of this. Also, Silverlight is an optional package. It's not automatically installed.

You probably won't find one because 99% of the time the updates that break things are driver updates, which will be automatically updated as well if it thinks there is a "better" version for your hardware and there is no way to change that or blacklist a driver from automatic updates either (without hacks). So enjoy having to manually reinstall your custom video driver pack after every single update.

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's some proof. It took me 2 seconds to find this. Literally just typed Windows 10 lags after update.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4iqaig/kb3156421_computer_is_slow_after_installing/

KB3156421 and KB3152599 literally slowed my computer down to a crawl. My curser was flopping around at like 2fps, it was like trying to play The Witcher 3 on voodoo GPU.

I uninstall those two turds of updates and like magic my PC was running top notch again.

Like I said each update introduces and infinite amount of variables across and infinite amount of system configurations causing an infinite amount of pain of the fucking ass for the end user.

Solution, fuck the updates.

Last edited by KSP,

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Since when is sending a list of every website you visit, every email you get, and pretty much everything you type to Microsoft as well as tracking your location 24/7 not spying on you? Especially since they state that advertisers can use all of that for "personalized" ads.
Ugh. Whatever, man. Continue frolicking in the land of tinfoil. I love how retards fail to read ANYTHING that might put their paranoia to rest because it's funner to bash a corporation. I mean fuck, I'm not even a Windows user and I'm defending it with actual evidence that none of you seem to come up with an actual rebuttal to. Show me evidence that any of Microsoft's telemetry data collected is used maliciously. And also if you didn't know, every website you visit does the same shit, regardless of what blocking software you use. Site servers log user agent, IP (which can be used for geolocation), accessed resources, cookie data, so one so forth. Where's the rally against them? You wanna know how to truly stop it all? Don't connect to the fucking Internet. But you won't do that. It's much funner to spit up bullshit you've been fed by sources that aren't credible by any means. Please though, show me pcaps and other analytical data proving that Microsoft's data collection could be in any way considered spying. Oh no, an online service is tracking your location. It's the NBA in cahoots with big M$. Give me a fucking break.

Here's some proof. It took me 2 seconds to find this. Literally just typed Windows 10 lags after update.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/4iqaig/kb3156421_computer_is_slow_after_installing/

KB3156421 and KB3152599 literally slowed my computer down to a crawl. My curser was flopping around at like 2fps, it was like trying to play The Witcher 3 on voodoo GPU.

I uninstall those two turds and like magic my PC was running top notch again.
Anecdotal stories aren't evidence of anything. Sorry you have a shit PC. After skimming that post, it looks like two people suffered from that (though I didn't read far). Guess what. Operating systems fuck up for a myriad of reasons. Windows isn't the only one. OS X took a good fifteen minutes to boot for me one day due to Coconut Battery. I dunno why it did that, but I didn't immediately start blaming the OS. Actually, Apple has been known to push out updates that cause some major problems. This also happens. Operating systems aren't immune to human error.

Last edited by Joom,
Reactions: nxwing and VinsCool

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Ugh. Whatever, man. Continue frolicking in the land of tinfoil. I love how retards fail to read ANYTHING that might put their paranoia to rest because it's funner to bash a corporation. I mean fuck, I'm not even a Windows user and I'm defending it with actual evidence that none of you seem to come up with an actual rebuttal to. Show me evidence that any of Microsoft's telemetry data collected is used maliciously. And also if you didn't know, every website you visit does the same shit, regardless of what blocking software you use. Site servers log user agent, IP (which can be used for geolocation), accessed resources, cookie data, so one so forth. Where's the rally against them? You wanna know how to truly stop it all? Don't connect to the fucking Internet. But you won't do that. It's much funner to spit up bullshit you've been fed by sources that aren't credible by any means. Please though, show me pcaps and other analytical data proving that Microsoft's data collection could be in any way considered spying. Oh no, an online service is tracking your location. It's the NBA in cahoots with big M$. Give me a fucking break.

And just how is a website going to upload your entire browsing history, magic? Aside from buffer overruns and such (which get quickly patched, and aren't really an issue if you get rid of Flash and Java) that was only possible for a brief period when you could put javascript in a cookie and it would actually run (and since cookies were local files, the javascript would run with permission to access everything including your bookmarks and history). Also, all of their tracking, including but not limited to telemetry, is encrypted using strong encryption so no pcaps are possible. If you can crack the latest public key encryption then please share so we will no longer need to bother with CFW.

I assume you have all the tracking stuff turned on and haven't used anything like shutup10 since you seem to be fine with Microsoft collecting your entire browser history, all your emails, and everything else, right?

Last edited by nl255,

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
And I'm there, reading, smiling at some replies, using my up to date Windows 10 laptop, having no issues at all, wodering why I have nothing to complain at.

I assume you left all the tracking stuff enabled and turned up to max, right? Because after all who cares that everything they do is sent off to Microsoft for them to do whatever they want with. Shutup10 is for losers.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
And just how is a website going to upload your entire browsing history, magic? Aside from buffer overruns and such (which get quickly patched, and aren't really an issue if you get rid of Flash and Java) that was only possible for a brief period when you could put javascript in a cookie and it would actually run (and since cookies were local files, the javascript would run with permission to access everything including your bookmarks and history). Also, all of their tracking, including but not limited to telemetry, is encrypted using strong encryption so no pcaps are possible. If you can crack the latest public key encryption then please share so we will no longer need to bother with CFW.

I assume you have all the tracking stuff turned on and haven't used anything like shutup10 since you seem to be fine with Microsoft collecting your entire browser history, all your emails, and everything else, right?
...lol. "GFUFUFKRIDHDHVSGD I'M JUST SO MAYUD". Don't pop an angry boner there. Did you miss the part where I said I don't run Windows? It's entirely too primitive for my liking.

Reactions: nxwing

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I assume you left all the tracking stuff enabled and turned up to max, right? Because after all who cares that everything they do is sent off to Microsoft for them to do whatever they want with. Shutup10 is for losers.
Lol I disabled stuff to report in settings day one.

And just so you know, they've been doing this since windows 7 :)

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
...lol. "GFUFUFKRIDHDHVSGD I'M JUST SO MAYUD". Don't pop an angry boner there. Did you miss the part where I said I don't run Windows? It's entirely too primitive for my liking.

Well then why don't you upload your bookmarks and browser history files weekly and post a link here since it is no big deal, after all every website does the same thing anyway.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
Well then why don't you upload your bookmarks and browser history files weekly and post a link here since it is no big deal, after all every website does the same thing anyway.
I do. I use Chrome. It syncs history across everything I use. Thing is though, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, and your mother couldn't give a fuck less about any of that shit.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
What part of INFINITE VARIABLES do you not understand. I got a Thinkpad Tablet that runs full Win 10, that didn't really seem to be effected by the updates at all, but just to be sure, I uninstalled the updates anyways.

You're trying to tell me what I saw with my own eyes. I saw the system lag, and deleted the update. Sure I can sit around and fuck with dlls, and regedits and gpedits all day fucking long to try to fix the issue, but why should I? When I can just delete the update, problem solved, back to my rub and tugs.

I know you didn't just diss an i7 Black Sticker system, with a Quadro Card.

Of course those updates will just be reinstalled next time.

I do. I use Chrome. It syncs history across everything I use. Thing is though, Google, Microsoft, Nintendo, and your mother couldn't give a fuck less about any of that shit.

However your employer very well might, and your insurance companies as well. And you can bet that Microsoft will be more than willing to sell them access to all that information for a small fee.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I'm in my birthday suit! Lol