Hacking Gaming Homebrew any harm in allowing system to auto-patch/update wup installed titles?

Citan_KL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my Wii U autoboots into Tiramisu, and i recently installed a small eShop indie called Elliot Quest with WUP Installer. for whatever reason i decided to run the game prior to also installing the Update folder, and to my surprise the system immediately began downloading the update. as far as i can tell everything is working, and i'm still able to access eShop to re-download content i actually do own. but my question is, is this a bad idea? or are the manual update installs only necessary once eShop servers close for good, or maybe if someone has no internet access?

just wondering, thanks

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Updating is completely safe. Before the question comes up: Playing online is safe, too. Nintendo can't distinguish between legally purchased and pirated content server-side. They did a lot of mistakes in their DRM sheme but learned their lession (just look at the Switch).

On a side note shameless self advertising: WUP Installer is old, unmaintained since almost a decade and buggy. Use NUSspli instead. ;)

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
Updating is completely safe. Before the question comes up: Playing online is safe, too. Nintendo can't distinguish between legally purchased and pirated content server-side. They did a lot of mistakes in their DRM sheme but learned their lession (just look at the Switch).

On a side note shameless self advertising: WUP Installer is old, unmaintained since almost a decade and buggy. Use NUSspli instead. ;)
I know they don't do it, but wouldn't they be able to detect pirated titles by checking if a ticket is legit o not?

ValentineMeikin

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For a while, there was a download application that could grab the Wii U software, never mind the updates, directly off Nintendo's servers just by being given a valid ticket database without Nintendo being any the wiser.

With the Switch, server-side, it's much more secure. Client-side, it's just as insecure, since the emulators can still decrypt with valid system files, same as PS3 emulation.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For a while, there was a download application that could grab the Wii U software, never mind the updates, directly off Nintendo's servers
All of these applications still exist today but not only that: Better, maintained, alternatives exist. Nintendo never ever fixed the download flaw on Wii U. They did around 5 to 10 years ago on 3DS which had the exact same issue all these downloaders use but Wii U? Meh...

Need links for modern software?
https://github.com/Xpl0itU/WiiUDownloader/releases
https://gbatemp.net/threads/nusspli...nintendo-update-servers-to-your-wii-u.566055/
;)

Citan_KL

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks guys.

@V10lator sounds good. I will use the newer installer. I hacked my Wii U just earlier this summer and I think I followed a fairly recent YouTube guide that specifically mentioned Wup, which is the only reason I was using it.

NinStar

Ny'hrarr ♂
Trophies
Website
ninstar.carrd.co
XP
Country
Brazil
@V10lator sounds good. I will use the newer installer. I hacked my Wii U just earlier this summer and I think I followed a fairly recent YouTube guide that specifically mentioned Wup, which is the only reason I was using it.
I know this wasn't mentioned here, but it's always good practice to follow written guides, video guides are often outdated.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto