ROM Hack Animal Crossing: New Leaf Save Editor

DesuIsSparta

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's looking good. Anything planned for it to do that current editors can't?
The biggest thing I am trying to feature is the special map editor. It works like this:

- There are 3 'layers'. The first layer is acre layout, above that is overlayed buildings, and finally you have items/foliage/etc.
- You can toggle the visibility of certain layers, which gives you a lot more control of map layouts
- You can export & import town layouts (including, if wished, acre layout, items/foliage/etc. layout, and building layout). This is one of my favorite pieces, because you can have many layouts for different giveaways or minigames or events that you want to host with friends, and it's all done by simply switching layout and injecting the new save.
- You can do all the things the current map editors do, but you can do experimental things like placing city buildings in the town, creating doors that teleport you to other buildings, etc.

A few other features of the editor include:
- Player appearance layout, so you can save your outfits/appearance to a file, and load them again later
- Inventory layouts, so you can save and load them
- Wrap certain items in the inventory
- Edit your town message board, and letter contents
- Switch between Japanese text and English for building names (technically in-game locale)
- Easy player name changer, including Japanese text and probably 3DS symbols like ABXY, etc
- Villager stuff, all the usual

Beyond that, my biggest goal is just to wrap up everything possible into an editor. I've done a lot of research into these pieces, and the software will be completely free and open source, and probably one of my best projects I've done so far.
Quoted from a PM.

hey, do you mind if I input my opinion on all of the current map editing tools?

I don't understand why none of them (in my eyes) support only the inside acres (inside with reference to stuff like beaches, rivers, standard acres etc.) and not any of the outer acres (with the exception of the cliff-to-beach acres and the waterfall acres). One of the biggest things that I like to do when making changes to my ram is making my town look more like the previous game's maps by having no "side beaches by replacing them with cliffs.

Why is it that no map editors have this feature when it can be easily implemented, since it's literally just adding an extra column and row to the acre editor, alongside their corresponding acre values?

The only possible way to do it is by directly changing your hex values. Have you thought of implementing all of the acres and not just the "main" ones?

I'm guessing it's because of preference. Personally I see so little people using it, it doesn't feeel worth it. For my editor, it's more than an extra column and row because of the way I have written it, but I can still add it in. If it's really needed, i'll add it in later. It's not difficult. So all acres will be supported eventually :)

Sascha

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hey guys, I hope you can help me out.
I'm looking for a way to keep villagers from destroying my town layout over and over again. It's just horrible for me, that I can never actually plan out my city, because some random villagers keep building over it. I would be fine with villagers not changing at all, just keeping everyone from moving in or out. But I can't find anything like this. I know that I can keep them from moving out using the editors, but that requires me to use the editor every time someone wants to leave; if I even notice it that day.

If you have any idea on how to make me enjoy this otherwise awesome game again, I would be really thankful. :)

herolarcio

The difference is night and day.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I hope you can help me out.
I'm looking for a way to keep villagers from destroying my town layout over and over again. It's just horrible for me, that I can never actually plan out my city, because some random villagers keep building over it. I would be fine with villagers not changing at all, just keeping everyone from moving in or out. But I can't find anything like this. I know that I can keep them from moving out using the editors, but that requires me to use the editor every time someone wants to leave; if I even notice it that day.

If you have any idea on how to make me enjoy this otherwise awesome game again, I would be really thankful. :)

If you play every day to the point where you see a neighbor is moving, then you can load the save into the editor and uncheck a box that says that they are moving out. This can also be used to automatically move in any villagers that haven't moved in yet.

6Px6L

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there. I seem to have an issue that whenever I edit my save file with the online save editor, I lose the link with my best friends in Animal Crossing; and we can no longer see each other online with our best friends list. I have to delete them and re-add them ( after they visit my town ) before it will work again. Do you know anything about this bug? I only touch the garden.dat file.

Last edited by 6Px6L,

marc_max

OP
Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
Hi there. I seem to have an issue that whenever I edit my save file with the online save editor, I lose the link with my best friends in Animal Crossing; and we can no longer see each other online with our best friends list. I have to delete them and re-add them ( after they visit my town ) before it will work again. Do you know anything about this bug? I only touch the garden.dat file.
What do you edit?

marc_max

OP
Trophies
Website
www.marcrobledo.com
XP
Country
hey, do you mind if I input my opinion on all of the current map editing tools?

I don't understand why none of them (in my eyes) support only the inside acres (inside with reference to stuff like beaches, rivers, standard acres etc.) and not any of the outer acres (with the exception of the cliff-to-beach acres and the waterfall acres). One of the biggest things that I like to do when making changes to my ram is making my town look more like the previous game's maps by having no "side beaches by replacing them with cliffs.

Why is it that no map editors have this feature when it can be easily implemented, since it's literally just adding an extra column and row to the acre editor, alongside their corresponding acre values?

The only possible way to do it is by directly changing your hex values. Have you thought of implementing all of the acres and not just the "main" ones?

@marc_max also
It's because I got tired of complains when people destroyed their savegame with the acre editor, and it wasn't even my editor. So I added some limitations in order to avoid most common crashes.
But I will probably remove all of them and add a disclaimer before opening the editor.
Looks cool! Something I haven't figured out how to do yet haha. Does it include villager houses as well? That would be amazing. Also, how about object rotation?
Villager houses were implemented in the latest version of my editor. Unfortunately, looks like you cannot move their furniture since the game places them automatically (but you can do cool things like placing a table in the ceiling).

And yes, object rotation is also on the way, along other features as well :-)
acnleditor15.jpg

acnleditor15_2.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1