AMD Launches Ryzen: 52% More IPC, Eight Cores for Under $330, Pre-order Today, On Sale March 2nd

AMD Ryzen Tech Day - Lisa Su Keynote_IanCutress-page-011_575px.jpg
So today, AMD finally officially launched their long awaited Ryzen CPUs, starting with the 3 SKUs from the R7 lineup. Apart from boasting a 52% IPC increase over their previous generation Bulldozer/Piledriver architecture. The R7 CPU's boast 8 cores and 16 threads with an unlocked multiplier and a TDP as high as 95W for the R7 1800X and 1700X, with the R7 1700 being the black sheep of the group, with 65W. The pricing of the R7 lineup starts from $329 for the R7 1700, R7 1700X at $399 and $499 for the top dog R7 1800X. AMD hopes to take on the likes of the i7 7700K, 6800K and the 6900K with the respective processors. Pre-orders from major retailers today at 1pm EST, ready for a general hard launch on March 2nd.

AMD also plans to release their R5 and R3 CPU lineups to compete with the Intel i5 and i3 in the mid and lower range sector. However, no official date has been disclosed.

• Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, 95W, $499
    • Ryzen 7 1700X: 8C/16T, 3.4 GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo, 95W, $399
    • Ryzen 7 1700: 8C/16T, 3.0 GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo, 65W, $329
:arrow:Source
Images courtesy: Ian Cutress (Anandtech)
Extra:

bye bye intel

Last edited by raystriker,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
hand over that crown intel :P

You're more than likely joking.. But this is rather annoying to see. It's way too early to tell if Intel has been beat. It's taken AMD this long to push out hardware capable of beating Intels best. Let's wait and see what real world performance brings, yes?

Molina

My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Even thought that it is good for consumer, the main problem with CPU is the way they are handled.

Lets be honest, they overcharge core 1. DirectX12 was supposed to repair the problem and Vulkan end up being a way better work. (it was not great, but better than nothing)
CPU could be more powerful if the burden was equal between cores.

The main problem is not power (which Intel has and Amd is going to have, I'm really confident about Ryzen), it's how the computer handle it.

Power is nothing without control.

f*ck you games which forgot AMD or Nvidia API, you have both GPU's users in your playerbase.

Reactions: Xabring

Xabring

Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
Seems good on paper but there are 2 things to consider:
1: This is AMD testing, so take the test with a grain of salt.
2: some are SYNTHETIC tests. as in, better on paper, but we need real world use tests. Yeah, it does good on test and some games...but all games?
navigation? RAM? reliability, stability? we need more.

Looks promising, and AMD sure it's gonna get back to game...but for how long?

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
f*ck you games which forgot AMD or Nvidia API, you have both GPU's users in your playerbase.
The only people who have been feeling that effect is amd users, the fact that nvidia keeps pushing gimp works and destroying framerates on amd card and even their own cards is just anti-consumer.
The few games that use amd tech (which is a free api mantle/vulkan) being doom and ashes of singularity, doesn't downright kill framesrates from nvidia users is proof enough and the games perform very well all around.

Reactions: raystriker

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's about time AMD put a fire under Intel's ass not just in the mobile sector with their APU's, but also on Desktops. Intel's CPU's are the best in the world, but they're also overpriced and hopefully this will cause more fierce competition and aggressive pricing. Damn, I love capitalism.

Reactions: Bladexdsl

Molina

My title? It's gone,... like the last fuck I gave.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The only people who have been feeling that effect is amd users, the fact that nvidia keeps pushing gimp works and destroying framerates on amd card and even their own cards is just anti-consumer.
The few games that use amd tech (which is a free api mantle/vulkan) being doom and ashes of singularity, doesn't downright kill framesrates from nvidia users is proof enough and the games perform very well all around.
I had no problem with DOOM (I use a 1070 btw), but I play skyforge and THIS game has a problem with Nvidia card. Add a bit of non optimization and you get crappy fps even in low.

The anti-consumer politic remember me of Microsoft. :creep:

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is legit difficult to not be pleased with these findings, even if I had just built a new machine after nearly ten years last year.

My previous main system with a core 2 quad is still chugging along, now in the living room at present. But yea, I want AMD to do well in the CPU space, even if nothing else, to compel Intel to price cut existing x99 CPUs and the like. As good as it is, the 5820k has no business still being $400, and their top end has no business being sold for $1800 usd

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Get an RX480 with that and you'll be set. If you have more to spend maybe a GTX1070, but the gains in video editing/transcoding aren't much so...yeah RX480
I was literally today, going to buy an FX8350 until I came across this thread. Read up on the new Zen processors a few hours, watched a few videos, decided what the h***, let's do it and see how it goes. I wanted a 1700x or 1800, but they're gone.

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What Bulldozer taught me... when AMD say something, wait for the fuckin benchmarks... :x
I would like to see what ryzen has to offer for music/video production, becuase this my main use, and AMD always been shit on that, they never supported shit exept their firePro :/.

Reactions: brickmii82

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wait for complete benchmark. Never trust firm benchmark.
Linus had complete access to the rig, nothing was disabled and there was no trickery involved, there's no reason to distrust these results. Besides, they're not shocking either - AMD had the edge in core count in every case.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been waiting it for so long only to find it has 24 lanes instead of 36.
Well, as long as you're not wanting to run a quad video card setup, you won't notice much for quite a few years. I'll be running a single GPU with a two, raid 0, m.2 drives setup, and 24 lanes won't be nearly saturated (even adding in the Ethernet and everything else).

Course in about 2-3 years, who knows.

I was literally today, going to buy an FX8350 until I came across this thread. Read up on the new Zen processors a few hours, watched a few videos, decided what the h***, let's do it and see how it goes. I wanted a 1700x or 1800, but they're gone.
And the new amd video card is coming out closer to the end of the year called vega (rx500), and is apparently around 2x the power of the rx480. Or, slightly edging out the 1080ti? who knows. Just something to keep in mind =D

Last edited by osaka35,
Reactions: brickmii82

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: @Xdqwerty any tips?