AMD Launches Ryzen: 52% More IPC, Eight Cores for Under $330, Pre-order Today, On Sale March 2nd

AMD Ryzen Tech Day - Lisa Su Keynote_IanCutress-page-011_575px.jpg
So today, AMD finally officially launched their long awaited Ryzen CPUs, starting with the 3 SKUs from the R7 lineup. Apart from boasting a 52% IPC increase over their previous generation Bulldozer/Piledriver architecture. The R7 CPU's boast 8 cores and 16 threads with an unlocked multiplier and a TDP as high as 95W for the R7 1800X and 1700X, with the R7 1700 being the black sheep of the group, with 65W. The pricing of the R7 lineup starts from $329 for the R7 1700, R7 1700X at $399 and $499 for the top dog R7 1800X. AMD hopes to take on the likes of the i7 7700K, 6800K and the 6900K with the respective processors. Pre-orders from major retailers today at 1pm EST, ready for a general hard launch on March 2nd.

AMD also plans to release their R5 and R3 CPU lineups to compete with the Intel i5 and i3 in the mid and lower range sector. However, no official date has been disclosed.

• Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, 95W, $499
    • Ryzen 7 1700X: 8C/16T, 3.4 GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo, 95W, $399
    • Ryzen 7 1700: 8C/16T, 3.0 GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo, 65W, $329
:arrow:Source
Images courtesy: Ian Cutress (Anandtech)
Extra:

bye bye intel

Last edited by raystriker,

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I don't get why people distrust AMD, when Bulldozer/Piledriver came out, AMD never claimed to have the best IPC, they did however claim that their multithreaded performance was better (thanks to 2 threads in one module and multiple modules in even their most basic processor).

Social_Outlaw

G.B.A.T.e.m.p T.e.m.p.l.a.r K.n.i.g.h.t
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Route I thought I would go
2016: AMD FX
2017: AMD Ryzen

The Route I went :(
2016: AMD FX
2017: Intel Skylake (Intel I5 6500 with a Z170-A, and Kingston 8GB)

I don't why I couldn't wait for Ryzen, I guess I'll wait for a Price Drop... which may be long time from now lol

I'm still rooting for AMD, I wish the best :)

Last edited by Social_Outlaw,

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hate to say it, but Intel is holding back until ryzen is released. They'll release their new cpu that will crush ryzen. That's how it has always been.
You clearly weren't around for the 90s when AND and Intel were in direct competition. The Ryzen cpu finally puts AMD back on the same level as Intel again. They aren't going to let that slip away so easily. Things will be very competitive again in the cpu market, like the good 'ol days lol. That will result in better performance and lower prices overall. It's a huge win for consumers.

Welcome back AMD!

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
In other news the AMD lady is totally a GILF with extra points for being asian, she is a sexy grandma (not sure if she has grandkids, but she does not seem young)

Last edited by migles,

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I don't quite understand the dislike for the FX lines. The price per performance makes sense on a budget build. Power consumption and single core performance was lacking but having 8 threads when multitasking.

Older games use 1-2 threads (like battlefield 3) but newer games are starting to use 4+ threads and this is where AMD is going to shine on the gaming industry.

16 threads is probably overkill but since it's becoming more relevant in computing and gaming I can see why AMD has 16 in all 3 tiers.

I will be hoping for better watt per performance though. I'd welcome a 4 core 8 thread or 6 core 12 thread options to suit more individual needs.

I would like to see a Ryzen cpu with 4 cores 8 threads that can hit 4.5-5Ghz core speed at 65 watts on watercooling. It would be a gamers dream if that would be priced at $200-300.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
are there updates or more info?
damn i am hyped

btw how is the integrated graphics on theese processors? are they shity like intel HD graphics?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
are there updates or more info?
damn i am hyped

btw how is the integrated graphics on theese processors? are they shity like intel HD graphics?

There isn't any intergrated gpu.

If you want onboard gpu, you'll have to wait for the apu varients.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Accelerated_Processing_Unit

Amds name for their chips with intergrated gpu.

The Ryzen based apus are coming later.
thanks..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(microarchitecture)
just checked this. woa, now i am confused..
intel has i3 i5 i7 and the "extreme" (not sure what they call those nowadays)
which is easy to follow..

but amd zen, not only has ryzen 3 5 and 7 processors for the entusiastic (extreme) part but each "of theese 3 5 7 has several processors

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically Intel right now :

iu
Considering they've pretty much own the cpu market for close to two decades and now they have compete again, that pic is pretty accurate CD.

I can't wait, because lower prices and higher performances from both companies are inevitable now....

Reactions: Vieax

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
thanks..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(microarchitecture)
just checked this. woa, now i am confused..
intel has i3 i5 i7 and the "extreme" (not sure what they call those nowadays)
which is easy to follow..

but amd zen, not only has ryzen 3 5 and 7 processors for the entusiastic (extreme) part but each "of theese 3 5 7 has several processors

No different from Intel.

Intel don't have just one i3, i5 & i7, but multiple processors in each range as well.

migles

Trophies
XP
Country
China
@migles Actually Ryzen has only a couple of processors inside the 3, 5, and 7 subsets.
In the other hand, Intel has a crapload right now: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaby_Lake#Desktop_Processors

So, if it is about "confusing" I suppose Intel wins.
but while intel 3 and 5 are concidered mainstream, i7 is performance, and there is the "special side" i7 extreme
amd had the 3 5 and 7 in the "performance" (and each type has several processors for that part)
amd then will have the mainstream, which their own 3 5 7 again... (which with several processors) (most likely)

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The currently announced chips are all aimed at the performance sector. The mainstream will likely be the apus and will probably not have the SR name (SR=summit ridge, apu codename is raven ridge, so more likely they will br RR3,5,7).

I really don't see how it's anymore confusing. Intel have Celeron all the way to i5 as "mainstream", even though there is a huge performance difference between them and it's fine. Amd list 9 processors as "performance" and it's somehow confusing :blink:.

AMD just can't do any right by some people. No matter what someone will find something to complain about.

Reactions: migles

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-gaming-benchamrks/

Leaked gaming benchmarks.

So it seems it's around Broadwell-e ipc.

8 cores, broadwell-e ipc, cheaper than intel 6 core. If it holds true once nda lifts (seems like it will at this point). AMD onto a winner here. IPC more than enough for gaming and 8 cores for cheaper than Intel 6. At the moment most games don't use much more than 4, but most people don't just exclusivly game and it should fly for stuff like video encoding. There's also SR3 & 5 yet to come, so cheaper 6 & 4 cores with that ipc for the budget builds.

Last edited by Armadillo,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: