AMD Launches Ryzen: 52% More IPC, Eight Cores for Under $330, Pre-order Today, On Sale March 2nd

AMD Ryzen Tech Day - Lisa Su Keynote_IanCutress-page-011_575px.jpg
So today, AMD finally officially launched their long awaited Ryzen CPUs, starting with the 3 SKUs from the R7 lineup. Apart from boasting a 52% IPC increase over their previous generation Bulldozer/Piledriver architecture. The R7 CPU's boast 8 cores and 16 threads with an unlocked multiplier and a TDP as high as 95W for the R7 1800X and 1700X, with the R7 1700 being the black sheep of the group, with 65W. The pricing of the R7 lineup starts from $329 for the R7 1700, R7 1700X at $399 and $499 for the top dog R7 1800X. AMD hopes to take on the likes of the i7 7700K, 6800K and the 6900K with the respective processors. Pre-orders from major retailers today at 1pm EST, ready for a general hard launch on March 2nd.

AMD also plans to release their R5 and R3 CPU lineups to compete with the Intel i5 and i3 in the mid and lower range sector. However, no official date has been disclosed.

• Ryzen 7 1800X: 8C/16T, 3.6 GHz base, 4.0 GHz turbo, 95W, $499
    • Ryzen 7 1700X: 8C/16T, 3.4 GHz base, 3.8 GHz turbo, 95W, $399
    • Ryzen 7 1700: 8C/16T, 3.0 GHz base, 3.7 GHz turbo, 65W, $329
:arrow:Source
Images courtesy: Ian Cutress (Anandtech)
Extra:

bye bye intel

Last edited by raystriker,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Better performance in gaming at equal clocks with some threads to spare? Take my money AMD!

I hope AMD can shake it up with vega as well. Waiting to see what AMD bring with that before jumping from my 290. Would prefer to go with AMD because of the ridiculous premium on G-sync monitors vs freesync, but only if AMD can bring the performance.

For Ryzen, I am far more interested in the SR3 & 5. Main machine has a 5820K, so not worth changing there. Second machine where the 290 is going when I'm done with it, has an 8350 in. So a cheap quad or hex would be a perfect pairing with the 290.

raystriker

The powers that be
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
India
So is the jury out on this one yet?

AMD does what inteldon't?
It looks pretty good for AMD. Stocks have increased by $5 in one month, $2 since Ryzen was officially shown off. Ryzen's going 'head to head' with Intel on every level (except the 6950K). R5 and R3 will be revealed soon to compete with the i5 and i3. Leaked benchmarks show Ryzen outdoing the Intel counterpart by a decent margin. Obviously, wait for official reviews. AMD offers better performance with more features at a lower pricepoint.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-1700x-gaming-benchamrks/

Leaked gaming benchmarks.

So it seems it's around Broadwell-e ipc.

8 cores, broadwell-e ipc, cheaper than intel 6 core. If it holds true once nda lifts (seems like it will at this point). AMD onto a winner here. IPC more than enough for gaming and 8 cores for cheaper than Intel 6. At the moment most games don't use much more than 4, but most people don't just exclusivly game and it should fly for stuff like video encoding. There's also SR3 & 5 yet to come, so cheaper 6 & 4 cores with that ipc for the budget builds.

so, if this thing is to believed.
AMD was not bullshiting with their 52 PERCENT MORE IPC AND BLABLA FANTATISC" BLABLABLA ?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well they were not lying about it's performance. Whether or not it actually turns out to be 52% over bulldozer or not, I don't think anyone will actually care. It's seems to be competitive in ipc with Intel now and that's all that really matters.

Don't know why people are so skeptical, I'm not saying just jump on the hype the train, but it's not like it's come out of no where. AMD brought Jim Keller in on it (basically god of cpus, done work for apple and was invovled in AMDs older cpus when they were mostly better than Intel) and before the new FX line, AMD were fine as well (Phenom 2 was late to the party, but was a good chip).

Bulldozer and it's derivatives, while still not fantastic ipc wise, AMD just bet on the wrong horse (multi-threading). In games that scale well with threads (like frostbite), the 83XX is competative with Sandybridge (what it would have been competing with at the time). Of course in those games, modern intel mauls it, but AMD cut their losses with AM3+. Excavator already had some ipc improvements, just wasn't brought to the high performance desktop chipsets.

It's not like AMD are incompetant and incapable of making a good cpu, just had a little mistep and had to ride it out for years.

Last edited by Armadillo,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ryzen 1700x for gaming doesn't seem to be impressive, I see civ6 which i heard it requires a powerful cpu. For the rest of the games just 2/3 fps gain, however it has just 95W tdp compared to the i7 6800k and it's great for editing.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
They already released the review, it isn't really great for gaming as i expected. R5 or R6 maybe the only hope.

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Apparently pre-ordering with Amazon doesn't mean you get it shipped on release day. Even when they say "will ship on release day"..... :angry:

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reviews seem alright to me for gaming. Based on the negativity I see in some places I was expecting a disaster. It's a little behind the Intel chips, but far cheaper than the equivelent Intel. Unless you were expecting Skylake ipc, not sure what is so bad about it.

Intel is still ipc king, no one was expecting anything else, but AMD have a competitive alternate with good ipc at a cheaper price.

I don't expect SR3/5 will fair any different. Slightly less ipc, but at a far cheaper price than the equivelent Intel.

Last edited by Armadillo,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is what I've gathered from reading the reviews: while Ryzen 1800x isn't better than the $1000 best of intel in single threading (which means "gaming" for a lot of folks), it is better/tied for multiple threads. And at half the cost, it's safe to say the bang-for-buck is about 2x over intel.

But if you don't care about throwing money at things, and only care about single-threaded optimized games, then stick with the best of Intel.

If you want best bang-for-the-buck, want to play games and maybe edit videos/stream those games/etc, then go with AMD.

J-Machine

Self proclaimed Pog champion
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been reading reviews all day and I'm a little confused. I want to build a low power emulation rig and was thinking of the ryzen 1700 with a 1050 ti. would this be good for that purpose?

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I understand, Ryzen is superior for multi-threading (so if you want to do a lot of multi-tasking, its better), but for gaming Intel still beats it as most pc games are still optimized for single thread performance. If you're an engineer or engineering major, Ryzen is the way to go, but for gaming I would go intel. Or if you like to have 8 million (exaggerated but you get the idea) different things open at once Ryzen is better haha

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Looks like the i7-7700k dropped in price to match the R7 1700. I've seen reviews where they match up pretty well with better single core speed on the 7700k and better multi-core speed on the 1700. I guess it really depends on the game you play for gaming.

The biggest bottleneck for the Ryzen CPU setup is lack of quad channel RAM.

It would be really nice to see some dual CPU motherboards for the AM4 socket though. That could ruin the Xeon market for Intel.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Here's a Cinebench for my rig. Still a bit more to do before I update my thread, but I figured people might like to see it.
View attachment 80734
Looks like the same results others on YouTube have been posting. The best OC you could get was 3.8GHZ?

Reactions: brickmii82

brickmii82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the same results others on YouTube have been posting. The best OC you could get was 3.8GHZ?

Not stable temp-wise, no. After this, I stressed the chip with CPUID to see where my temps maxed out. 69.5C on this setting. When I went 3.9 at 1.35, temps weren't stable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I am the cancer!!! lol