Activision Blizzard asks shareholders to vote against mandatory annual abuse reports

im497576298x120624224.jpg

The State of New York is advising that Activision Blizzard should prepare an annual report on how it's handling reports of abuse from within its company, but Activision Blizzard's board of directors have urged shareholders to vote against the proposal. New York's proposal would force greater transparency from a company riddled with scandals and would include details such as "the total number of pending sexual abuse, harassment or discrimination complaints the company is seeking to resolve," the amount of money the company has spent settling misconduct claims in the last three years, and the number of pending misconduct charges facing the company. New York is currently looking for similar annual reports from Tesla and Starbucks, and, while such proposals often fail, Microsoft's shareholders recently voted in a mandatory report despite its board urging them not to.

In an SEC filing on Friday, spotted by Axios, Activision Blizzard urged its shareholders to vote against the proposal, saying “The Board believes that, rather than diverting energy and resources toward creating yet another report, we should continue to directly respond to employee concerns." An Activision rep also told Axios that they are "committed to transparency" and intend to continue issuing reports on pay and workplace changes. Activision is also encouraging a no vote on a proposal from the AFL-CIO, the largest federation of unions in America, that would let employees vote on a member to be added to the company's board, saying this would circumvent its own selection process for qualified board members.

:arrow: Source

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Employee profiling? REALLY?!? That's damn scary, if you ask me. I stand with Activision Blizzard on this one - the government shouldn't tell you to snitch on every employee's private lives. If Activision Blizzard is going to fail from scandal, that's their problem. It's not up to the government to tell them that they need to "shape up or ship out".

Unfortunately, there's too much of an effort to make blanket laws that restrict even the innocent in order to catch the guilty. Now, I'm not saying that we should have NO laws - that would be anarchy. I'm also not saying that Activision Blizzard isn't at fault for scandal, either. I'm just saying that the company shouldn't be forced to tell the government how employees are being treated.

Also, if an employee is being treated poorly, most of them have the option of leaving to find a better job. Fair enough, right?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Mandatory transparency and accountability. That's honestly not much to ask. (Don't be a piece of shit, and prove you're not being a piece of shit.) Seems very straightforward. Can't believe they're trying to play victim here, after all the crap that's been brought into light in the last few years.

Reactions: Dr_Faustus

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That last part, preventing unions from getting board representation... Fuck's sake, what a scumbag company
Exactly. Unions wouldn't even be needed if workers weren't being exploited to such a degree that a union needs to be formed to protect them. Yikes.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wish Microsoft didn’t buy them so they could just die already
Honestly speaking it was the better outcome than the alternative.

Facebook/Meta was in the running to purchase them as well before MS threw more money in the offer. I would not imagine a worse fate than this company getting bought out by Zuckerfuck.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Honestly speaking it was the better outcome than the alternative.

Facebook/Meta was in the running to purchase them as well before MS threw more money in the offer. I would not imagine a worse fate than that this company getting bought out by Zuckerfuck.
Now I am sad knowing that there could have been a worse fate for them and that’s not the fate we got :sad:

Reactions: Osha

CathyRina

Digimon Tamer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This is so hilarious. You're still getting fucked because of everything that came to light last year and instead of improving things, so that these things don't happen anymore, you're instead asking to make hiding this stuff easier? People satirizing this situation would write it as a joke but here we are. I really hope that once the M$ buyout finishes there is gonna be some serious overhaul because it's getting harder and harder each day to get excited for Actiblizz games. And no, changing portraits of Women in WoW into fruit wont fix the issue. Work on not being a garbage human being ffs.

Reactions: LightBeam

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I thought that they were in their redemption arc, but higher ups keep not allowing them to
Looks like we'll have to wait for the deal to conclude to have that, since Microsoft's shareholders did vote for that, maybe they care a bit more ? Idk, we'll have to see, but I don't really have any faith in Actiblizz higher ups

YoureALoser

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mandatory transparency and accountability. That's honestly not much to ask. (Don't be a piece of shit, and prove you're not being a piece of shit.) Seems very straightforward. Can't believe they're trying to play victim here, after all the crap that's been brought into light in the last few years.
It's 100% to much to ask for when it's the government of a state asking for it, but hey I guess you like tyrants. It would be different if it were the shareholders asking for it.

• Haha
Reactions: Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It's 100% to much to ask for when it's the government of a state asking for it, but hey I guess you like tyrants. It would be different if it were the shareholders asking for it.
Oh please, save that 'government overreach' bullshit for your mom, I'm tired of hearing it. :rolleyes:

64bitmodels

Professional Nintendo Hater
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we call activision the worst company in America now? EA doesn't deserve that title, at least not anymore

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one