Hacking Homebrew A new way to experience StreetPass

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
Certainly would be great to have a reliable way to clear all the streetpass games. Also sharing nemesis/baal's in bravely default and bravely second now that the online is shutdown

Last edited by dayjay,

sorunome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Certainly would be great to have a reliable way to clear all the streetpass games. Also transferring nemesis/baal's in bravely default and bravely second
It already works, check the releases link!
Is local streetpassing planned? I mean, the possibility to use a big data bundle, and do the matching offline.
Not sure what you mean with this? NetPass works in parallel to normal StreetPass, so nothing stops you from still taking your 3DS to places to get passes ^-^

sorunome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But no maches nowadays with the official streetpass :(
the official streetpass still works just fine, as it is only p2p and thus does not rely on nintendos server at all. The issue of not getting streetpasses moreso is that barely any people take thier 3ds with them anymore

Princeroo135

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
New Release! (v0.2.0)

All the crashes should (finally!) be fixed now. Check out the release at https://gitlab.com/Sorunome/3ds-streetpass/-/releases/v0.2.0

Next on the roadmap is getting this into universal updater and getting proper graphics done. Is there anyone who'd want to help with the graphics and stuffs?
Hey, first I want to say that this DOES work on both my consoles. I've only received one streetpass tag on the two from the software so far, but that's better than nothing!

However, I haven't received any streetpasses all morning. I was up at 8:30-8:45 (Central) today, and there has been no notification as of this comment. Is this a bug of some kind?

sorunome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey, first I want to say that this DOES work on both my consoles. I've only received one streetpass tag on the two from the software so far, but that's better than nothing!

However, I haven't received any streetpasses all morning. I was up at 8:30-8:45 (Central) today, and there has been no notification as of this comment. Is this a bug of some kind?
The central 3DS notifications sadly don't work, however the individual apps should get the green notification dot.

That being said, the way soru updated the server side to make passes more random also means that they are currently somewhat rarer again; the solution to that is to get more people to use NetPass! So, go and spread the word around to everyone x3

Also, glad that the last version fixed your issues c:

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
New Release! (v0.2.0)

All the crashes should (finally!) be fixed now. Check out the release at https://gitlab.com/Sorunome/3ds-streetpass/-/releases/v0.2.0

Next on the roadmap is getting this into universal updater and getting proper graphics done. Is there anyone who'd want to help with the graphics and stuffs?
I can help with Latinamerirican Spanish (409) Translation
Post automatically merged:

Added a tiny Merge Request on the Repo to add at README.md the need to have MAKEROM on the path

Last edited by impeeza,

sorunome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
  • Love
Reactions: splaca and impeeza

Neelothebesto

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

NetPass: A new way to experience StreetPass​

qr.png

Scan QR code to download!

Releases: https://gitlab.com/Sorunome/3ds-streetpass/-/releases
Source Code: https://gitlab.com/Sorunome/3ds-streetpass

Introducing NetPass: In the current state of the world, the 3DS is, sadly, on decline. That makes getting StreetPass'es harder and harder, due to fewer and fewer people taking their 3DS with them on a walk. This is where NetPass comes in!
Unlike StreetPass, NetPass works over the internet. Upon opening NetPass, you can pick various locations to go to, i.e. the train station, or a town plaza. Upon entering a location, you get passes of others who are in the same location! And, while you are at the location, others who enter it can get passes with you. But beware! You can only switch locations once every 10 hours!

Hello!
Since nowadays legitimate street passes out in the open are rare, we have been thinking about how to nicely streamline fake streetpasses.

Just having finished a tech demo, soru wanted to present it: It is a homebrew application which you run. Upon running, it uploads your streetpasses (currently to sorus own server, streetpass.sorunome.de), matches the streetpasses with those others uploaded and downloads the streetpass data of others, as if you passed them! There is no background functionality or anything currently, you have to open the app every time you want to get streetpasses, and it may still be finicky. But hey, that is what testing is for, right?

Furthermore soru wanted to brainstorm some ideas on how to nicely get streetpasses. So far soru could think of (no idea if any of those will be implemented):
- some phone app so that you do streetpasses phone-to-phone instead and it syncs with the 3ds
- Maybe if you interact with someones message on juxt or something?
- ???

The source code is available on sorus gitlab: https://gitlab.com/Sorunome/3ds-streetpass

Attached to this post is the 3dsx file for anyone who wants to try this out themself!
Thanks to:
- wwylele for this gist describing some of the cecd functionality
- NarcolepticK for this repo describing more cecd functionality
- StreetPass 2 for valuable data dumps
- 3Dbrew for its valuable database of information, especially around the cecd service

can we remove the 10 hour countdown? I got 3 streetpasses but have to wait 10 hours for more?

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

can we remove the 10 hour countdown? I got 3 streetpasses but have to wait 10 hours for more?
I personally don't like the way it works now. I prefer being able to get all the passes possible since I got my 3DS two years ago and limiting the connection to others seems pointless imo.

Reactions: Neelothebesto

sorunome

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
As others enter the same location you are in, they might streetpass with you, giving you more streetpasses as well
I personally don't like the way it works now. I prefer being able to get all the passes possible since I got my 3DS two years ago and limiting the connection to others seems pointless imo.
Hmm, soru thought about this project to more replicate what streetpass could have been like; while soru did not use a 3ds back in the day, she thought it'd be unrealistic to get a lot of streetpasses all the time without doing much, hence soru introduced the locations.
That beings said, as of writing this post within the last 10 hours there have been 258(!!!) people who entered a location. Given that the 3DS can only hold up to 10 passes per game anyways, soru thinks that a mechanic like this seems justified.

Currently, upon entering, you pass with randomly 1-5 people at that location. Of course, the numbers here can be adjusted to make a nicer experience

ScienceGenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got this installed and used it, got a handfull of streetpasses at the 'Mall'.

I think what might be nice is some kind of population indicator on the locations? It doesn't need to be an exact number or anything, but knowing where I'm most likely to get the most streetpasses could be nice. Maybe have whatever one's been the most busy add (Popular!) on the end of the name. Like 'Train Station (Popular!)'.

I like the random nature of it, simulates random streetpasses well, but it'd be nice to get more of them at a time.

dayjay

Trophies
XP
Country
As others enter the same location you are in, they might streetpass with you, giving you more streetpasses as well

Hmm, soru thought about this project to more replicate what streetpass could have been like; while soru did not use a 3ds back in the day, she thought it'd be unrealistic to get a lot of streetpasses all the time without doing much, hence soru introduced the locations.
That beings said, as of writing this post within the last 10 hours there have been 258(!!!) people who entered a location. Given that the 3DS can only hold up to 10 passes per game anyways, soru thinks that a mechanic like this seems justified.

Currently, upon entering, you pass with randomly 1-5 people at that location. Of course, the numbers here can be adjusted to make a nicer experience
A lot of the streetpass games work and play better if you have all 10 passes so there's definitely a good reason to make sure you always hit the maximum when streetpassing

kuro0628neko

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Given that the 3DS can only hold up to 10 passes per game anyways, soru thinks that a mechanic like this seems justified.
Just because the games hold up to ten doesn't mean we should be restricted to it. For instance, when I lived in Madrid, I would get street passes just in my apartment from people walking past it.

Maybe have whatever one's been the most busy add (Popular!) on the end of the name. Like 'Train Station (Popular!)'.
I like this idea too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Also touch is better.... Well at least better than the launch DS, the lite one improved that a ton