Hacking A few words on IOSU, redNAND, and iosuhax.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think that only thing is that once RedNAND is installed, there isn't a general consensus on formatting SysNAND, which means I have to go through the trouble of reinstalling all my USB games again >.>
You don't have to format SysNAND. People just applied 3DS logic to the WiiU...

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So I can still use the USB with installed games and the saves on them? And saves on the SysNAND? I only ask because I'm still a bit wary about doing so, I have a SSB4 save on SysNAND and I'd hate to lose (as well as the DLC). I'll need to think about it.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So I can still use the USB with installed games and the saves on them? And saves on the SysNAND? I only ask because I'm still a bit wary about doing so, I have a SSB4 save on SysNAND and I'd hate to lose (as well as the DLC). I'll need to think about it.
Sure you can. If you format - you can't anymore. I have yet to experience any downsides to not formating SysNAND. Don't know why people said you should do it...

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure you can. If you format - you can't anymore. I have yet to experience any downsides to not formating SysNAND. Don't know why people said you should do it...

I guess with that scene pretty much exploding and the initial confusion/tumult, that was said, but even devs are saying it isn't absolutely necessary. That being said, the process still confuses me somewhat, I dumped my own fw.img with Fix94's guide, the whole needing-to-use-sysconfigTool-or-else-you brick the Wii U worries me.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess with that scene pretty much exploding and the initial confusion/tumult, that was said, but even devs are saying it isn't absolutely necessary. That being said, the process still confuses me somewhat, I dumped my own fw.img with Fix94's guide, the whole needing-to-use-sysconfigTool-or-else-you brick the Wii U worries me.
you dumped your own fw.img?

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2) Out of region content and DLC only work on RedNAND
You can bypass the region check on wupinstalled titles if you change the title's and update's meta.xml using wupserver after the title or update is installed. You don't need rednand for that.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You can bypass the region check on wupinstalled titles if you change the title's and update's meta.xml using wupserver after the title or update is installed. You don't need rednand for that.
Are you really messing with stuff on SysNAND? If RedNAND bricks, you just use a backup - if SysNAND bricks, you're pretty much fucked... OK, you could do a hardmod, but most people don't.

roots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France

and what about the connection needed to format on sysnand? it's not 3ds logic just use wiiu and think sysnand has to be format before nintendo update...

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
and what about the connection needed to format on sysnand? it's not 3ds logic just use wiiu and think sysnand has to be format before nintendo update...
Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Why would you format in the first place? Everything works fine for me...

roots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
i mean when you want to format your wiiu you can't if you doesn't have an internet connection so if nintendo release an unpdate you will be screwed up to format because the wiiu will want to update before..
just think to let sysnand with entrypoint (5.5.1) and for other purpose use rednand that's why i unlink

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i mean when you want to format your wiiu you can't if you doesn't have an internet connection so if nintendo release an unpdate you will be screwed up to format because the wiiu will want to update before..
just think to let sysnand with entrypoint (5.5.1) and for other purpose use rednand that's why i unlink
So you format because you might need it in the future but fear you wouldn't be able to then, because it only works on up-to-date WiiUs? If formating really became necessary for some reason, I'm sure someone would make something like TinyFormat for WiiU...

roots

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So you format because you might need it in the future but fear you wouldn't be able to then, because it only works on up-to-date WiiUs? If formating really became necessary for some reason, I'm sure someone would make something like TinyFormat for WiiU...

sure,with a homebrew to format sysnand things are different...
but for now we doesn't have one so i choose the safe way for me

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you really messing with stuff on SysNAND? If RedNAND bricks, you just use a backup - if SysNAND bricks, you're pretty much fucked... OK, you could do a hardmod, but most people don't.
Yes, I am. (After testing it on a non-sigpatched redNAND)
Logic:
Others demonstrated that installing out-of-region titles didn't hurt their WiiU.
The meta is loaded to produce the menu, and a wrong region does not prevent the menu from loading.
The code is not executed until after passing the region check.
Wupserver can be loaded with out-of-region titles present.
I'm careful with what I do.

Everything carries some risk. I consider this a limited one.
It's ok if others don't want to do it, but I'd feel bad to not mention it if it would save them a lot of effort.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, I am. (After testing it on a non-sigpatched redNAND)
Logic:
Others demonstrated that installing out-of-region titles didn't hurt their WiiU.
The meta is loaded to produce the menu, and a wrong region does not prevent the menu from loading.
The code is not executed until after passing the region check.
Wupserver can be loaded with out-of-region titles present.
I'm careful with what I do.

Everything carries some risk. I consider this a limited one.
It's ok if others don't want to do it, but I'd feel bad to not mention it if it would save them a lot of effort.
Of course you're absolutely free to do whatever you want with your console. But I'd suggest only advanced users should do what you're doing. Noobs should stay clear from that method, lest they brick...

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Of course you're absolutely free to do whatever you want with your console. But I'd suggest only advanced users should do what you're doing. Noobs should stay clear from that method, lest they brick...
I agree that in the wrong hands, tools can be dangerous. Please remember that I simply countered a point that you presented as fact when it's not. Saying that redNAND is the safest way to run out-of-region games is probably true. Saying it's the only way isn't.

Alanoide97

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
welp, nice RedNAND and everything, but i just bought a 64GB microsd for my tablet, gonna be some time until i can justify another one

skydancer93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is why I'm just sticking to the Brazilian exploit and just installing disc games for now. I can just grab a modded ticket off of a certain ISO site, download the game from Nintendo's servers, install, and not have to go online every time I want to play

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, https://youtu.be/KaMSXIRReOo?si=2hRoijJtiwPUHXk5