576p on component on Wii U

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Seeing this is a Wii homebrew the Wii U might simply not be able to do 576p (hardware limitation), so it falls back to the closest mode it can find. 576p or i also doesn't sound valid for HDMI but not sure about that, could be the reason it uses 480p there through.

//EDIT: Wait, I missinterpreted your post. So on HDMI it works in 576p, right? On component it changes from progressive to interlaced through. Well, the reason for this could be that interlaced makes sense on CRT monitors only (has to do with how the image gets on the screen there, like the cathode writes the image line by line. Ask google for more informations as this is a big topic. In short: Moving images look washed out without interlacing on CRT monitors), these normally have no HDMI but only component (or SCART and old, analog stuff like this). HDMI on the other side is for modern, digital flat screens (allowing a pixel perfect image which isn't possible with analog stuff like component as there will always be something interferring and as a result changing colors and stuff) and there interlaced looks bad when the image isn't just static but has movement, so you want to have progressive.

Last edited by V10lator,
Reactions: HandsomeJack

KelSolaar

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I just tried out the application. I have the same issue. But even before that. VWii for my always starts in interlaced mode when using the component cables. How do you make your VWii on your Wii U start in progressive scan?

HandsomeJack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I just tried out the application. I have the same issue. But even before that. VWii for my always starts in interlaced mode when using the component cables. How do you make your VWii on your Wii U start in progressive scan?
In the Wii U's main settings screen I set output to 480p (before booting into vWii mode). When doing it over HDMI, the app will switch to 576p (despite the main settings being 480p).
Post automatically merged:

I have to ask, why in 2023, anyone would want to use the Wii U as a media player when there are so many other superior options.
I like the pointer interface.

KelSolaar

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
In the Wii U's main settings screen I set output to 480p (before booting into vWii mode). When doing it over HDMI, the app will switch to 576p (despite the main settings being 480p).
Post automatically merged:

I like the pointer interface.

You missunderstood me. I'm not talking about HDMI. I'm talking about when using component cables.

KelSolaar

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Sorry, I see what you mean. On component cables if I switch off 'Force 576p' it goes to 480i.

You are still misunderstanding me. I’m not talking about the video player. I’m talking about when running virtual Wii on a Wii U with component cable it switches to interlaced regardless if the console is set to progressive scan.

HandsomeJack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You are still misunderstanding me. I’m not talking about the video player. I’m talking about when running virtual Wii on a Wii U with component cable it switches to interlaced regardless if the console is set to progressive scan.
Sorry, I've now tried it with 1080p over component and regardless of the settings, vWii always switches between 480i / 576i. It must be a limitation of vWii that it can only do 480p/576p over HDMI.

Last edited by HandsomeJack,

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry, I've now tried it with 1080p over component and regardless of the settings, it vWii always switches between 480i / 576i. It must be a limitation of vWii that it can only do 480p/576p over HDMI.

There's always the option of using a superior device that doesn't have these limitations. But you know.... c:\ffmpeg\bin\ffmpeg.exe -i input.mp4 -acodec libmp3lame -qscale:a 4 -vcodec libx264 -profile:v main -crf 14 -maxrate 1600k -bufsize 2M -vf scale=720:576 output.mp4. Right? LOL!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Can confirm this problem. For whatever reason vWii refuses to use progressive mode over component which is really unfortunate – some Wii U had failed HDMI which means falling back to the analog option.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's one nasty hardware limitation.
Is it hardware? Progressive mode over component does work on the Wii U side.
Nintendo makes strange decisions sometimes. Just think of the Gamepad standby discharging the battery with no option to fully turn that thing off. The whole Wii U stops working when unable to reach it's optical drive. New 3DS micro SD can only be reached with a screwdriver…
I stopped pondering about them.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1