Misc 3dsxl' 3d goes on and off

Alegria

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm hoping someone can help me with this. Since I homebrew my console, the 3d goes crazy even though the 3d button stays on off position... strangely enough it could be related to the angle of the top screen, because if I push it all the way "open" (so a little more than 180°) it would more often be off, but still goes on sometimes. This gets exhausting for the eyes, especially since the depth of the 3d changes all the time too.

Note, I did buy the console first hand in a Media Markt (so not a shady store that would sell bad copies), but since the start the hinges seem to do much more noise than normal 3ds (distinct "clac" that didn't allow me to play if my sister was sleeping in our shared room)

I searched about it on the internet but I didn't find anyone describing a crazy 3d problem on their 3ds, maybe I didn't use the right words?

Solution
2) since homebrew, my 3ds turns 3d on and changes the 3d's depth all the time even though the switch is set to "off". Maybe it would be related to the screen's position because it might happen less when the console is fully "opened"
Sounds like a hardware problem. Sadly pretty common to have uncommon, erratic behavior of 3DS systems.
Opening the shell to various angles put moves the cables slightly (which will cause damage at some point).

You could disable 3D altogether as a workaround. Fixing this would ultimately mean disassembling the unit and replacing the cables.

Edit: Could be something with the slider (internal) as well, but the different angles make me think more of the ribbon cables in the hinge, like...

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you having issues with the 3D function, the hinge and it's positioning, or perhaps both?
And what issues apart from "it gets exhausting for the eyes"?
The system doesn't turn off when you change the position of the hinge to 180°, or any other position?

Alegria

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Are you having issues with the 3D function, the hinge and it's positioning, or perhaps both?
And what issues apart from "it gets exhausting for the eyes"?
The system doesn't turn off when you change the position of the hinge to 180°, or any other position?
1) the hinges made a lot of noise since day 1 but honestly I can live with that. But maybe it's related to 2

2) since homebrew, my 3ds turns 3d on and changes the 3d's depth all the time even though the switch is set to "off". Maybe it would be related to the screen's position because it might happen less when the console is fully "opened"

The console doesn't turn off without being prompted to, it's only about the 3d feature.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1) the hinges made a lot of noise since day 1 but honestly I can live with that. But maybe it's related to 2
If the system doesn't turn off the moment you change the hinge positions (all), then the ribbon cable is still functioning as it should.
Oh, so you mean that 3D keeps changing the depth by itself, but it stops doing that when it's in some specific position?
It is certainly an issue if it does that even when the 3D is not turned on..

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Sounds like a hardware problem. Sadly pretty common to have uncommon, erratic behavior of 3DS systems.
Opening the shell to various angles put moves the cables slightly (which will cause damage at some point).

You could disable 3D altogether as a workaround. Fixing this would ultimately mean disassembling the unit and replacing the cables.

Edit: Could be something with the slider (internal) as well, but the different angles make me think more of the ribbon cables in the hinge, like @caki883 said below.

Normal. Many 3DS have a loud hinge with three distinct, pretty loud clicks.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Reactions: CoolMe
Solution

Alegria

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If the system doesn't turn off the moment you change the hinge positions (all), then the ribbon cable is still functioning as it should.

Oh, so you mean that 3D keeps changing the depth by itself, but it stops doing that when it's in some specific position?
It is certainly an issue if it does that even when the 3D is not turned on..
Yeah. If I play normally, in 1 minute of gameplay, the console will turn the 3d on a good 50 times and change its depth all the time. For some reason (but it's maybe a coincidence), the console does it less often (but still) depending on the screen's position.

Blavla

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I would says that the display flex cable is damaged.
If you don´t wan´t to repair it then disable it in restrictions with a PIN that way it will be always OFF

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Any idea how to do that? Reminder: the 3d switch is off. I never want to play on 3d now that I've had the console for a decade.
Parental Controls. Disable 3D in software.

Reactions: Alegria

Alegria

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I would says that the display flex cable is damaged
What's very strange is that I don't see anyone on internet mention this. It should be a normal problem with old consoles, by now it should have happened to thousands of people.
Post automatically merged:

Parental Controls. Disable 3D in software.
Thank you! I forgot it could do that!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I played the intro to far cry 5, that is like some crazy Jim Jones cult shit. Still its petty...