finkmac

OP
Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada
I recently got a 3DS XL… With a broken hinge (clicker, diffuser, middle casing).

Everything was working… except for the cameras.

Going into the L or R camera mode brought up the application, but the camera preview was black.
Switching to inner camera froze the application, and attempting to go "Home" caused the 3DS to hang on the "Home" banner. The pink top camera light didn't shine, either.

Oddly, the preview would show up for the QR code function, and I was able to scan the codes normally.

Since it was on firmware 8.1, I downgraded to 4.2.

Nothing changed, it still acts the same way…

Fixing the hinge didn't seem to change anything, either

I tried to import a pattern in Animal Crossing by scanning a QR code, and the preview was black again… After trying a few times, the preview was a weird green pattern, But the 3DS LR camera QR code function worked just fine.

Anybody here have experience with these issues?

Alternatively, does anybody have experience replaced the camera? I know there are camera modules on eBay and such… but I can't seem to find any replacement tutorials/guides.

It's a pity, most answers to 3DS hardware issues are "send it to Nintendo"… Why isn't there a larger repairing community? :huh:

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Looks like the ribbon cable for the camera module isn't seated properly (or possibly damaged being that you mentioned the hinge being broken. The camera module is replaceable I believe since it's on it's own cable and doesn't require scrapping the LCD panel to replace). I just got done migrating my 3DS XL's motherboard into a new case. The top large ribbon cable (not the one underneath or the one that "folds over" to reach the connecter that is near the main ribbon cable) The one underneath (The one you have to remove the motherboard to get to) is for the top screen LCD panel, but the one ontop I believe is for the camera modules. The cameras had the same issue yours had when I finished rebuilding it. I just disconnected the ribbon cable and reinserted it again making sure it's in straight and all the way in. The cameras worked fine after that.

The ribbon cables are really picky. Make sure they are in all the way and are fully seated!

finkmac

OP
Trophies
Website
www.epicwinrar.com
XP
Country
Canada
Eugh ribbon cables. Terrible things.

Are the cameras connected directly to the motherboard? Or are they attached to a bridge board thing in the display housing?

In any case, I'll mess with the ribbons when I get some free time… The bottom screen is a bit off-center, which gives me a reason to open it up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and leave ectoplasm all over the place