Gaming 3DS or Dsi XL?

Roy Hobbs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought I wanted the DSi xl but after the price drop on the 3DS I am having a hard time choosing.

I will mainly be playing DS rome vis flash cart (not sure which one yet). I live the large DSi XL screens but the 3DS has way more features.
Any input??

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
not much it comes down to bigger screens and i read DS on 3DS have a graphic filter making it different than original play

if DS gaming will be your focus i would go XL, i own one and those screens are very sexy a real confort for the eyes and the stylus use

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
dsixl...the 3ds is going to have a continuous battle with flash carts that you probably don't want to fight. keeping the xl not updated is a simple process whereas the 3ds is more tempting to go online causing you to want to update.

while some flash carts can be updated, the exploits will run dry some day. go with xl you wont be sorry.

if you have a ds lite, once you get the xl and play with it for a few weeks, try playing a ds lite. it seems sooooo tiny after the xl!

Roy Hobbs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks guys, I'm still having a hard time deciding. Luckily I've got until Friday, I won't buy either until the price drop.
I played with the 3DS at Best Buy and the 3d was OK I guess.....but there were so many other cool things. 3d camera, AR games, netflix, browser etc.....

I thought all I cared about was DS roms but who knows after seeing the other things the 3DS can do.

If I do go with the DSi XL which flash cart do you guys recommend>

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
3DS can also play DS roms on 'capable' flashcarts.

Personally I'll go for 3DS, you get double the library.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you plan on buying a 3DS someday, you might as well get it now and save yourself some money.

DS games do not look as good on the 3DS as they do on the DS/DSi, but it's pretty insignificant in my opinion.

As for flashcarts, as long as you have something like an Acekard 2i, it will work on both the 3DS and the DSi. Both devices can be updated to stop working with flashcarts if you're dumb enough to update without doing any research, so that's not really a factor to consider when choosing between the two.

If you plan on getting a 3DS sometime in the next couple of years, I would just get the 3DS now.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Go for the 3DS. The DSi XL doesn't add that much at this point to make the purchase a good choice compared to the 3DS (bigger screen vs. next gen console).

I regret buying my DSi XL even though it was a nice addition for DS games (now I have a DSL and a DSi XL).

-Qtis

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
3DS. I've bought the DSi XL, and now I regret that because of the 3DS. Not because the DSi XL is worse, but because the 3DS can do the same as a DSi XL but more!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
3DS all the way. I really like the design of the 3DS, actually. The screen is perfect, and the hinge design makes it really easy to open.
I like it too, I just like my DSiXL's more. Sorry, I'm not trying to dis the 3DS.

Roy Hobbs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just don't know if I would use the "extra" features on the 3DS most of it seems very gimmicky. I will never watch netflix on it (I can use my iPad for that). Most of the 3DS games I've seen aren't that great, yet.

I'm not worried about longevity or "future proof" both these devises are cheap enough to not worry about that.

I mainly want to play DS Roms.

Assuming I will mostly play DS Roms, what other features does the 3DS have that might be cool and not gimmicky (like 3d picks, AR games, etc)

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've made a small list for you. If you want all the information, click the link.

arrow.gif
Wikipedia
List of features
  • Activity Log
  • Augmented reality
  • Backward compatibility
  • Virtual Console service
  • StreetPass and SpotPass Mode
  • Video content
  • Web browser
  • Mii

Roy Hobbs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waflix said:
I've made a small list for you. If you want all the information, click the link.

arrow.gif
Wikipedia
List of features
  • Activity Log
  • Augmented reality
  • Backward compatibility
  • Virtual Console service
  • StreetPass and SpotPass Mode
  • Video content
  • Web browser
  • Mii

Thanks, none of that really appeals to me. I think I'll just get a DSi XL if I decide later I want a 3DS (maybe after Mario 3d comes out) I'll grab one of those.

Now can any one suggest a flash cart that I can use with 1.4.3 (assuming a new DSi xl comes with 1.4.3 out of the box.

Waflix

El Psy Congroo
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I would suggest the SuperCard DSTwo. Because of its built-in RAM it can emulate GBA games, it also works with the 3DS and the updates come fast.
I also recommend looking at this chart, it show what which cartridge can do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good deal. I love Sun chips. I also love Rye chips, and had to order some from Amazon cause can't find in stores much anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking subways like that'll be $3
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is funny how they replaced the $5 foot long sub, with a 1" wide $5 foot long cookie or cinna stick, cheap asses
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They still have but it's like $10 cookies honestly not a bad deal for $5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Bidenomics
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, everything almost double nowadays
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    But I could go to Aldis and get a cookie pie for like $4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or use your new cooking pan and make some, don't mind the Old leftover foods mixed in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just eat plain flour around cops
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    thats Gluten abuse, they would shoot you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends on the color chart
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Wheat flour has a lower chance at survival
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Isn't wheat flour the whitest of the white?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Rye would get shot at sight.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Depends
    img_5941-1.jpeg
    everyone mixing their flour now days
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That's whole wheat, right? Because all purpose flour is also made from wheat.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm not a flour expert I just snort it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    There also is black rice flour, and its really black colored
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Bruh that's gray.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's ancientboi color
  • Veho @ Veho:
    You need to add some activated charcoal.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I've seen some that are dark dark, my wifey uses it sometimes in her bs recipes