Hacking 3DS not turning on with latest Luma + system update (turns on w/o SD card but reaches arm11 block)

cuccokid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
A few years ago I downloaded CFW for my 3DS in hopes of being able to play a Pokemon game and bypass the region lock. I don't exactly remember what I downloaded, but I know that on my SD card I have Luma, GM9. ect...

Fast forward to now, I start playing my 3DS again which works completely fine and download the latest system version. This then leads me to the Arm11 error menu when I try to boot it up again, but I look online and hear it's easily fixed. I replace my current boot.firm and boot.3dsx files on my SD card with the files from Luma v10.2.1 and put the SD card back in. The problem is, my 3DS doesn't boot, the blue light just flashes for a second and then shuts off. But I definitely have the boot files on the root of my SD card, have tried redownloading them multiple times ect.

I can turn on my 3DS without my SD card but then when it turns on it still reaches the Arm11 error screen. When I press select whilst booting without the SD card, it shows me that I'm on Luma v.10.0.1 and booted from CTRNAND.

The only thing that works with having the SD card in my 3DS was when I downloaded the Luma v7.0.5 and replaced my boot files with the arm9loaderhax.bin file. Then my 3DS turns on with my SD card in (yay!) but it still reaches the arm11 error because I have an old version of Luma.

I'm sort of at a major loss of what to do and how this all works. I have no idea why my 3DS with an SD card only boots with an arm9 file. I assumed from looking online that what I had installed was BS9 because of the version of Luma I'm on. I currently have no way of accessing the home menu so I don't know how to update any CFW's that need updating through the 3DS which may be causing my problem.
It's worth reiterating that my 3DS was previously booting fine and the only thing I did was replace older boot files with the newest ones.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
With Luma3DS v10.0.1 your console should already have latest B9S version. It sounds like B9S is unable to load boot.firm from SD (but seems to find it). Without SD (or any boot.firm on SD) it falls back to the outdated copy on CTRNAND. I've seen that myself: Despite the backup on NAND being present, B9S turned off the console with the SD inserted. Never found the reason for this.

===========
Quick and dirty test: Provide another (FAT32 formatted) SD containing nothing but latest Luma3DS boot.firm to see if this works.
===========

To rule out any possible issues with your main SD refer to Quadruple reformat. Please do not skip the test with h2testw.

Reactions: cuccokid and CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After you setup B9S, Go here and scroll down to "Section VI - CTRNAND Luma3DS" and follow the steps, for you to boot the 3DS without the SD card inserted.

Reactions: cuccokid

cuccokid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
With Luma3DS v10.0.1 your console should already have latest B9S version. It sounds like B9S is unable to load boot.firm from SD (but seems to find it). Without SD (or any boot.firm on SD) it falls back to the outdated copy on CTRNAND. I've seen that myself: Despite the backup on NAND being present, B9S turned off the console with the SD inserted. Never found the reason for this.

===========
Quick and dirty test: Provide another (FAT32 formatted) SD containing nothing but latest Luma3DS boot.firm to see if this works.
===========

Sadly I am a Mac user so the only program that I found was available for Mac was Step 1 the SD Card Memory Formatter, and then I formatted it again with the Mac Disk Utility. It wasn't originally in a FAT32 format. I currently don't have a spare SD card so I added the boot.firm file to my same card but the 3DS still wouldn't boot. h2testw isn't available for Mac so instead I used Blackmagic disk speed test but it said my SD card was almost full? Even though it had just been formatted so maybe the issue is with the SD card itself (though that doesn't explain why I can boot the console when I have the arm9loaderhax.bin copied on). I'll try getting a fresh SD card asap.

EDIT: Yup just checked with the freshly formatted sd card and the 3ds still boots with just arm9loaderhax.bin copied on

Last edited by cuccokid,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BigOnYa How have you been