• Likes 43

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Hi everyone,
I recently began using my 3ds again and updated b9s and luma using the 3ds.hacks.guide website (b9s was updated to version 1.3, 1.4 was released the day afterwards).
I noticed that there is a bunch of stuff on my 3ds and the sd card that I would like to get rid of and start a fresh state (mostly unused and/or outdated things). I thought of doing a system format and formatting the sd card though I wanted to ask how easy it would be to relink my nnid account to said 3ds. My 3ds is banned from playing online due to me trying to go online with CTGP7, thinking it would work in a similar way to how ctgp revolution works on the wii. I am still able to access the eshop, my purchases and can download things, though I thought I would ask here before doing anything.
If I can relink my account easily, what steps do you guys recommend for formatting the 3ds and sd card.

Thanks!
If you want a clean start, You can try this: https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw. If it all goes hunky dory, you should end up with a clean state you can work your way up again.

Personally I still prefer to assess my system (to see if my 3DS is dependent on anything on there) and simply setup only the SD card again though, since seedminer does take some time to start again from the ground up. If you're sure that your current setup is somewhat up-to-date(B9S and all), You can keep your system that way and just reorganize your SD card.

Captshiro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Then how does it give you the error in custom-install that either "title.db" or "save3ds_fuse" is missing?
Have you tried creating a new title.db file (the guide is on one of my previous posts)? It could be corrupted or damaged. Just store somewhere for the time being and replace it with the newly created one.
no i have not tried that, but I was simple stating that those files were already on the card I double checked as well and they were in the backup as well. but ill try the way you mentioned before just to double check things

Last edited by Captshiro,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you want a clean start, You can try this: https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw. If it all goes hunky dory, you should end up with a clean state you can work your way up again.
With all due respect, that is a terrible idea. Uninstalling CFW tends to cause more problems than it ever solves. CFW is not removed by a System Format and a System Format is generally adequate for all purposes.

I noticed that there is a bunch of stuff on my 3ds and the sd card that I would like to get rid of and start a fresh state (mostly unused and/or outdated things). I thought of doing a system format and formatting the sd card though I wanted to ask how easy it would be to relink my nnid account to said 3ds. My 3ds is banned from playing online due to me trying to go online with CTGP7, thinking it would work in a similar way to how ctgp revolution works on the wii. I am still able to access the eshop, my purchases and can download things, though I thought I would ask here before doing anything.
Not sure what you think you need to get rid of, but a System Format is overkill.

But if you go that far, then if I'm not mistaken, you just have to log in with your old NNID after formatting. I have no idea how that will affect your ability to play online.

Reactions: CoolMe

KokoseiJ

GBAtemp VOCALOID Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Uninstalling CFW tends to cause more problems than it ever solves.
Yeah, I should've emphasized that part. Uninstalling CFW in any console is usually very risky process, and it is better of rather not going that far.
Though, that guide does show you how to completely get rid of any traces and also extensively cover how to ensure your system will behave correctly even after removal. That's why I brought that amongst ten thousand guides available.

Other than that I agree 100% with you. Unless you want a completely clean start it isn't the best way.

Akuma-Oni123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a clean start, You can try this: 3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw. If it all goes hunky dory, you should end up with a clean state you can work your way up again.

Personally I still prefer to assess my system (to see if my 3DS is dependent on anything on there) and simply setup only the SD card again though, since seedminer does take some time to start again from the ground up. If you're sure that your current setup is somewhat up-to-date(B9S and all), You can keep your system that way and just reorganize your SD card.
I don't intend on uninstalling the cfw since that makes more problems than solutions (I saw this mentioned a couple of times on other posts and the link you provided), though I wanted to delete outdated, unused and broken things that were installed on the 3ds. I'm not sure where some of these things are installed which is why I thought a system format would suffice.

Also, nice to meet you too!

With all due respect, that is a terrible idea. Uninstalling CFW tends to cause more problems than it ever solves. CFW is not removed by a System Format and a System Format is generally adequate for all purposes.

Not sure what you think you need to get rid of, but a System Format is overkill.

But if you go that far, then if I'm not mistaken, you just have to log in with your old NNID after formatting. I have no idea how that will affect your ability to play online.
I don't intend to play online, I just want to clean my 3ds and sd card, redownload all my purchases and then make a back up at this point. I just wanted to see if this playing online ban could be a problem when doing this.

Akuma-Oni123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, does anyone know if a system format resets the localfriendcodeseed_b. I was going to inject my back up but due to my bad naming conventions from 5 years ago, I don't know which one belongs to my old 3ds and which one belongs to the new 3ds. I think there might be a public one in there too.
I don't know if there is a way to compare them or if restoring the localfriendcodeseed_b matters, but I do also have a nand.bin that was created using a9lh back in the day. I'm pretty sure this could contain the original localfriendcodeseed_b.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Also, does anyone know if a system format resets the localfriendcodeseed_b. I was going to inject my back up but due to my bad naming conventions from 5 years ago, I don't know which one belongs to my old 3ds and which one belongs to the new 3ds. I think there might be a public one in there too.
I don't know if there is a way to compare them or if restoring the localfriendcodeseed_b matters, but I do also have a nand.bin that was created using a9lh back in the day. I'm pretty sure this could contain the original localfriendcodeseed_b.
Format System Memory throws the current user profile away (and changes KeyY in movable.sed). It won't make overwritten data magically reappear.

Comparison: GodMode9 has a sha256sum function. That should suffice.

Good luck and have fun!

SandwichLord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I tried homebrewing my 2ds xl using the video guide on Youtube titled "How to Homebrew Your Nintendo 3ds (11.15)" by Anton Retro. I would post a link, but I'm too new :lol:

The guide seems to have worked, but I still can't play US games on my 2ds xl. It is a UK version, but I thought hacking it would allow me to play any region games.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction of what I did wrong, or what I am missing.

Pk11

A catgirl with a DSi
Trophies
Website
xn--rck9c.xn--tckwe
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I tried homebrewing my 2ds xl using the video guide on Youtube titled "How to Homebrew Your Nintendo 3ds (11.15)" by Anton Retro. I would post a link, but I'm too new :lol:

The guide seems to have worked, but I still can't play US games on my 2ds xl. It is a UK version, but I thought hacking it would allow me to play any region games.

I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction of what I did wrong, or what I am missing.
Mhh, this is why video guides are strongly discouraged in favor of 3ds.hacks.guide... Video guides tend to cause issues, that's really weird that it would still be region locked as you don't need to do anything special to bypass the region lock, you just need Luma. From a quick skim of the video it looks like it should work, though it uses an all in one download which is very bad, always avoid those. (they're always outdated fairly quickly and can have modified files and other things that cause issues)

If you press L + Down + SELECT while the 3DS is on does it open up a menu? If so try following 3ds.hacks.guide's Finalizing Setup and Restoring / Updating CFW to ensure you've got all the homebrew you should and a proper version of Luma.

If it doesn't do anything then you don't even have a functional Luma at all and should probably just follow 3ds.hacks.guide from the start.

SandwichLord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mhh, this is why video guides are strongly discouraged in favor of 3ds.hacks.guide... Video guides tend to cause issues, that's really weird that it would still be region locked as you don't need to do anything special to bypass the region lock, you just need Luma. From a quick skim of the video it looks like it should work, though it uses an all in one download which is very bad, always avoid those. (they're always outdated fairly quickly and can have modified files and other things that cause issues)

If you press L + Down + SELECT while the 3DS is on does it open up a menu? If so try following 3ds.hacks.guide's Finalizing Setup and Restoring / Updating CFW to ensure you've got all the homebrew you should and a proper version of Luma.

If it doesn't do anything then you don't even have a functional Luma at all and should probably just follow 3ds.hacks.guide from the start.
Okay, so when I press the button combo, the Luma 3ds menu does pop up. I followed the finalizing set up guide and still, cant read any games. Is there a way to restart the hacking process using the correct guide?

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so when I press the button combo, the Luma 3ds menu does pop up. I followed the finalizing set up guide
So you completed the "Finalizing" guide?
and still, cant read any games.
What do you mean by this? Do you have fbi installed? You need to install cia files (games) in order for them to show up on the home menu.
Is there a way to restart the hacking process using the correct guide?
Well, if you followed the guides above then you don't need to, since it seems you have Luma3DS installed..

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

SandwichLord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you completed the "Finalizing" guide?

What do you mean by this? Do you have fbi installed? You need to install cia files (games) in order for them to show up on the home menu.

Well, if you followed the guides above then you don't need to, since it seems you have Luma3DS installed..
Thing is, I understood that I would be able to read physical carts from other regions on my 3ds. In this case, US games on a UK system.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes, exactly. I tried a 3ds cart, and nothing. Also tried an older ds cart, also nothing. I was thinking it was possibly the cart reader itself being bad, but I checked and cleaned pins.
DS games aren't region locked (okay, some TWL carts might be).

Open GodMode9 and try dumping your cartridges to SD. That should show if both, the games and the reader work.

Reactions: CoolMe

SandwichLord

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DS games aren't region locked (okay, some TWL carts might be).

Open GodMode9 and try dumping your cartridges to SD. That should show if both, the games and the reader work.
Okay, it seems as if GodMode9 is freezing every time I try to open the C: drive with a game in the cartridge reader. I tried opening the additional options menu before the cart is inserted, then inserting cart and trying to dump. Still freezes. I was able to install a .cia file and get it to play successfully, if that helps.

Update: When I start the system with a DS cart in, GM9 doesnt freeze, but when I tried to dump the cart info to sd card, it said Cart init failed. Still freezes with 3ds carts

Last edited by SandwichLord,
  • Sad
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Akuma-Oni123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Format System Memory throws the current user profile away (and changes KeyY in movable.sed). It won't make overwritten data magically reappear.

Comparison: GodMode9 has a sha256sum function. That should suffice.

Good luck and have fun!
After updating the b9s and luma installations on my old 3ds, I was able to run its localfriendcodeseed_b through the sha256sum function. Though now I realized that this localfriendcodeseed_b doesn't match the one installed on my new 3ds nor does it match the two backups I found either.
One of the backups matches the localfriendcodeseed_b installed on my new 3ds, and the other doesn't match anything.
Now I have two files (localfriendcodeseed_b) to try and figure out which one is mine.

Is there anything I could do to try and figure out which is which? I was thinking of going through the gbatemp forums and seeing if anyone uploaded theirs since I vaguely remember getting it from this site.
Though I also, like I mentioned before, have a nand.bin that was created using a9lh back in the day. Could this contain the original localfriendcodeseed_b? If so, is there a way to get it out?

Thank you guys for the help.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After updating the b9s and luma installations on my old 3ds, I was able to run its localfriendcodeseed_b through the sha256sum function. Though now I realized that this localfriendcodeseed_b doesn't match the one installed on my new 3ds nor does it match the two backups I found either.
One of the backups matches the localfriendcodeseed_b installed on my new 3ds, and the other doesn't match anything.
Now I have two files (localfriendcodeseed_b) to try and figure out which one is mine.

Is there anything I could do to try and figure out which is which? I was thinking of going through the gbatemp forums and seeing if anyone uploaded theirs since I vaguely remember getting it from this site.
Though I also, like I mentioned before, have a nand.bin that was created using a9lh back in the day. Could this contain the original localfriendcodeseed_b? If so, is there a way to get it out?

Thank you guys for the help.
I do believe that there was a way to get at the console lfcs. But do be aware that you will not ever find those here as they are copyright material and will be against ToS to have linked to or uploaded.

Akuma-Oni123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do believe that there was a way to get at the console lfcs. But do be aware that you will not ever find those here as they are copyright material and will be against ToS to have linked to or uploaded.
You beat me to it (the reply). After looking around I realized there are non here (at least I thought there was at some point). Still, I don't want someone else's, I just want mine restored.

CoolMe

"Action-packed movie" star
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, it seems as if GodMode9 is freezing every time I try to open the C: drive with a game in the cartridge reader. I tried opening the additional options menu before the cart is inserted, then inserting cart and trying to dump. Still freezes. I was able to install a .cia file and get it to play successfully, if that helps.

Update: When I start the system with a DS cart in, GM9 doesnt freeze, but when I tried to dump the cart info to sd card, it said Cart init failed. Still freezes with 3ds carts
Even if you installed cias on your sd card successfully, i should still recommend testing it with h2testw (if you haven't already) just to be sure it's not faulty or defective. Backup your data before doing so.
Though it sounds your cartridge reader is faulty, you can try opening the 3ds and re-seating it, and if it still doesn't work then it should be replaced.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Not as scary as walking in the woods alone, and running into Wario.