• Likes 43

chpoit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, I haven't been able to find much info on this so here is my question:
What happens to eshop games and your NNID when you setup sysNAND and EmuNAND, or even A9LH?
Is there a way to retain saves and things like Pokebank data or is it all lost?
Where can I get some concrete info on those two questions?
Also, what is the difference between linked and unlinked NAND, I know there's something about wiping the sysNAND and not the emuNAND, but that's all.

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
Problems as in I won't be able to link it back?
On another note, if I just formatted my N3DSXL right now I would be able to link the NNID back right away?
Problems as in maybe it won't let you link on emunand and you have to reformat sysnand and maybe some other steps to fix it. And yes you'd be able to relink right away.

Reactions: Destinykid

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So, I haven't been able to find much info on this so here is my question:
What happens to eshop games and your NNID when you setup sysNAND and EmuNAND, or even A9LH?
Is there a way to retain saves and things like Pokebank data or is it all lost?
Where can I get some concrete info on those two questions?
Also, what is the difference between linked and unlinked NAND, I know there's something about wiping the sysNAND and not the emuNAND, but that's all.
For the first part, when you create an emunand it becomes an exact copy of your sysnand including your NNID and everything. On your sysnand essential system files are stored on the console and everything else in the sd card. The files on the console point to a folder with a long ID in the Nintendo 3DS folder. When you create an emunand all the essential files are now stored on a partition of the sd card instead of the console. But they still point to the same SD card folder as sysnand for all the extra stuff like games and saves. This is called having your nands linked and can cause some problems. The solution, unlinking, involves formatting the nand that you don't want to point to those games and saves. This makes it create is own sd card folder (a folder with a different id inside the Nintendo 3DS folder). Most people will format the sysnand since you can't update it and it is a bit useless for playing games. Hope this info helps.

chpoit

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For the first part, when you create an emunand it becomes an exact copy of your sysnand including your NNID and everything. On your sysnand essential system files are stored on the console and everything else in the sd card. The files on the console point to a folder with a long ID in the Nintendo 3DS folder. When you create an emunand all the essential files are now stored on a partition of the sd card instead of the console. But they still point to the same SD card folder as sysnand for all the extra stuff like games and saves. This is called having your nands linked and can cause some problems. The solution, unlinking, involves formatting the nand that you don't want to point to those games and saves. This makes it create is own sd card folder (a folder with a different id inside the Nintendo 3DS folder). Most people will format the sysnand since you can't update it and it is a bit useless for playing games. Hope this info helps.
So in other words, before formatting sysnand I need to make a backup of my "Nintendo 3ds" folder to keep my games and saves and then after I format the sysnand I just merge the two folders?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
So in other words, before formatting sysnand I need to make a backup of my "Nintendo 3ds" folder to keep my games and saves and then after I format the sysnand I just merge the two folders?
No this will happen automatically. As long as you take the sd card out while formatting the sysnand so it won't delete anything, when you put the sd card back in and start up the console it will automatically create a new folder for itself (formatting told it that it's not allowed to use its old one anymore).

Reactions: ferofax

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
GUISE GUISE, I bit the bullet.
Made a backup of my SD card contents, the entirety of it except DCIM contents, and just finished downgrading my N3DS 10.3.

I want those contents on my EmuNAND. What do I need to do (and NOT do) to ensure I get to keep all my progress? Thanks! I am following a guide I picked up from reddit, which surprisingly let me downgrade on my first attempt, when all other previous attempts were futile.

EDIT: Nevermind, jesus christ, previous posts actually gave me all the info I needed. Thank you, Quantumcat.

EDIT: Alright, here's a different question instead. So if I boot into SysNAND, launch HB menuhax, then used TinyFormat, will it leave my EmuNAND files untouched (i.e., all my game progress on the SD card)?

Last edited by ferofax,

pizzamanopenup

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got a New 3DS with 9.7.0-25U. Been out of the homebrew scene for a long long time. Whats the best method to get custom firmware from here? I just read about a method from 10.6 to 9.2, but I'm still lost and I know there are other methods. Am I gonna need OOT or cubic ninja, or something like that? Whats the safest route from where I am to where I want to go?

Anerva

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here's my situation. I have a n3DS on 1.6 I also have a O3DS at 4.1. I also have OOT

My O3DS is using Gateway atm.

Im trying to install OOT3DHAX and I am unsure what the best way to do this is. I tried installnig HBL on the 10.4 EMUNAND on my o3ds for Gateway, but I the emunand cannot pickup the zelda cartridge.

Any advice?

Last edited by Anerva,

Cydget

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a question about A9LH. I heard you can have an updated sysnand, but how? Do I just update sysNand through system settings, or sysupdater? Would I lose A9LH if I do this? If for some reason I do lose A9LH can I just reinstall it with the .3dsx that I have? Thanks in advance.

MartinDocNewland

Searching for the truth
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a question. I'm looking to get a N3DS soon and I'm also looking to get a Supercard DSTwo Plus but it it worth getting that flashcard if there is custom firmwares and such out?

LazyOtaku

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have jp n3ds with 10.3 and a us n3dsxl with 10.6. What I want to kknow if it is possible to do this:

1. Hack the jp n3ds to have a jp sysnand / us emunand
2. Then do a system transfer from the 10.6 n3ds XL to the us emunand. (Because I want to keep my legit games and also play online with my NNID)
***Now I dont mind manually transferring my games or redownloading them I just want to know if it can be done.
3. Also with the jp n3ds be able to play legit us 3ds games and buy games from the eshop from the us on the us emunand?

I hope this is not to confusing. I just want to know if this can be done cuz if not ill just sell the jp n3ds before i mess with it since it is brand new.

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GUISE GUISE, I bit the bullet.
Made a backup of my SD card contents, the entirety of it except DCIM contents, and just finished downgrading my N3DS 10.3.

I want those contents on my EmuNAND. What do I need to do (and NOT do) to ensure I get to keep all my progress? Thanks! I am following a guide I picked up from reddit, which surprisingly let me downgrade on my first attempt, when all other previous attempts were futile.

EDIT: Nevermind, jesus christ, previous posts actually gave me all the info I needed. Thank you, Quantumcat.

EDIT: Alright, here's a different question instead. So if I boot into SysNAND, launch HB menuhax, then used TinyFormat, will it leave my EmuNAND files untouched (i.e., all my game progress on the SD card)?
You were able to downgrade your N3ds without bricking? The guide on Wololo *& the app they use* say it could cause brick & wasn't tested on N3ds. So can I ask what tutorial you used for the N3ds? I'm looking to downgrade my N3ds without bricking it. & hope a more stable downgrade for the N3ds comes out soon/shortly.

ferofax

End of the World
Trophies
Website
nonwhatso.blogspot.com
XP
Country
You were able to downgrade your N3ds without bricking? The guide on Wololo *& the app they use* say it could cause brick & wasn't tested on N3ds. So can I ask what tutorial you used for the N3ds? I'm looking to downgrade my N3ds without bricking it. & hope a more stable downgrade for the N3ds comes out soon/shortly.
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

I used this one, and most of the files from there except the firmwares which I got on "that" 3DS site. Pretty much step by step, and I am currently about to finish Part 3 (about EmuNAND) and reading up on the next parts (OTP, then AL9H). Take note, I was on 10.3 when I attempted this a while ago. Now have sysNAND on 9.2 and emuNAND on 10.6.

Last edited by ferofax,
Reactions: qaz015393

x_master_1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, I have some question :)
I used menuhax to coldboot to The Homebrew Launcher some day ago. Today I replace THL boot.3dsx file with rxTools boot.3dsx file to coldboot to emuNAND. It work fine. But if I go to THL with hb_loader.cia installed from emuNAND, it show me red bootloop.
I know the rxTools boot.3dsx file cause this problem.
Can I still coldboot to emuNAND and still use hb_loader.cia without bootloop?
Anyone give me a method?

qaz015393

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

I used this one, and most of the files from there except the firmwares which I got on "that" 3DS site. Pretty much step by step, and I am currently about to finish Part 3 (about EmuNAND) and reading up on the next parts (OTP, then AL9H). Take note, I was on 10.3 when I attempted this a while ago. Now have sysNAND on 9.2 and emuNAND on 10.6.
Thanks. Going to be doing this now.

sleepymanakete

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi!This might sound silly but I downgraded my 3Ds to 9.2 and unlinked my EmuNAND. I guess it didn't look fun as I thought it would so I was wondering if I used something like 3DNUN to update my 3DS to 10.5 (or use FE:Fates to update to 10.3) would my NNID and everything else be on the update or will it stay on my EmuNAND?

thedude28

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi!This might sound silly but I downgraded my 3Ds to 9.2 and unlinked my EmuNAND. I guess it didn't look fun as I thought it would so I was wondering if I used something like 3DNUN to update my 3DS to 10.5 (or use FE:Fates to update to 10.3) would my NNID and everything else be on the update or will it stay on my EmuNAND?

So you're asking if you can update to 10.6 emunand? I'm pretty sure all CFWs support 10.6 emunand, so you can update normally. Though you have to absolutely make sure you're in Emunand before doing so.

skullpatch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to move my NNID and eshop content thats on emunand back to the sysnand that is was originally copied from after I already formatted sysnand so that they would be unlinked?
My Sysnand is on firmware 9.2
and my emunand is on firmware 10.3

I only really want the NNID on my sysnand so I can transfer it to my n3ds and then downgrade that with my orignal nnid intact.

This is a follow up question to the previous question I posted.

Is there any sort of robust guide i should be following to ensure that I don't mess something up. Maybe someone could give me tips.
I was told earlier that transferring an nnid to a new emunand was as simple as doing a system transfer but I would like to be absolutely sure.

system that has the nnid I want to transfer
o3ds
Sysnand:
9.2.0-30U
Emunand: 10.6.0-31U

System I would like to transfer my original nnid to
n3ds:
Sysnand: 9.2.0-30U
Emunand: 10.6.0-31U

Last edited by skullpatch,

sleepymanakete

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you're asking if you can update to 10.6 emunand? I'm pretty sure all CFWs support 10.6 emunand, so you can update normally. Though you have to absolutely make sure you're in Emunand before doing so.
My enunand is on 10.6.I was asking if I can update the Sysnand to 10.5 as I don't seem to care for CFW. I wanted to go back to being able to hex edit Fates as svdt doesn't seem to work anymore.
I also wanted to make sure my NIND will be there if I update my Sysnand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    denpafan @ denpafan: swag