• Replies 53,799
  • Likes 43

RegularMoron

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello there.
I'm a complete noob, so I think this is the most appropriate topic to post in ;)

First, I would like to thank Smealum and Yellows8 for their haxes. You guys rock.

Now, I would like to ask a question. Actually, it's more like a set of questions. I've read lots of topics, but it is still difficult for me to understand "everything" in this jungle. Still, I think I managed to understand some things by myself, I'll do my best and try not to be annoying.

I have a New 3DS ("N3DS") with the 9.0.0-20 firmware.
I have installed the HomeMenuHax (with Browserhax). So now I have access to the Homebrew launcher. Everything seems to run okay, but I've read that the 9.0 firmware has access to something more efficient.

1) I assume this is the format known as "cia". Is this assumption correct?

2) If so, in order to run this "most efficient format", I need to install a "CFW", aka custom firmware. Right?

3) If so,
I am currently low on budget, is there any way to install a CFW on N3DS-9.0 without buying an expensive CN/OoT/Gateway/*insert-here-any-other-expensive-piece-of-hardware-you-know* ?

4) If so, would it be risky to do that (i don't want to brick my system, so any way to backup the sysnand before installing the CFW would be great) ?

Last edited by RegularMoron,

usernametaken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello there.
I'm a complete noob, so I think this is the most appropriate topic to post in ;)

First, I would like to thank Smealum and Yellows8 for their haxes. You guys rock.

Now, I would like to ask a question. Actually, it's more like a set of questions. I've read lots of topics, but it is still difficult for me to understand "everything" in this jungle. Still, I think I managed to understand some things by myself, I'll do my best and try not to be annoying.

I have installed the HomeMenuHax (with Browserhax). So now I have access to the Homebrew launcher. Everything seems to run okay, but I've read that the 9.0 firmware has access to something more efficient.

2) If so, in order to run this "most efficient format", I need to install a "CFW", aka custom firmware. Right?

3) If so,
I am currently low on budget, is there any way to install a CFW on N3DS-9.0 without buying an expensive CN/OoT/Gateway/*insert-here-any-other-expensive-piece-of-hardware-you-know* ?

4) If so, would it be risky to do that (i don't want to brick my system, so any way to backup the sysnand before installing the CFW would be great) ?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-a-cfw-on-a-9-0-9-2-n3ds-without-cn-oot.398394/

The very first thing you should do as soon as you can access Gateway Menu is make a backup of your Sysnand & copy that NAND.BIN to your computer incase you ever brick your N3DS.

As for cfw to use, i'd suggest Reinand.

MrJason005

√2
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello there.

3) If so,

1) CIA are essentially ROMs. They are the only file format you have to play games if you don't have Gateway 3DS.

2) Yes, you do need to setup a CFW in order to install CIAs.

3) This is quite recent, but this came out yesterday. Maybe give it a shot?

4) If you want to be 100% guaranteed brick-proof, you could pop open the casing and dump the NAND with soldered wires before doing absoloutely anything.

Reactions: RegularMoron

RegularMoron

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you for these answers,

I understand that this is a very recent breakthrough. It seems rather unstable, by the look of the answers. Maybe I should wait a little. Or ask the topic-creator for some piece of additionnal advice.

Anyway, thanks, I'll dig into that very soon.

1) CIA are essentially ROMs. They are the only file format you have to play games if you don't have Gateway 3DS.

2) Yes, you do need to setup a CFW in order to install CIAs.

3) This is quite recent, but this came out yesterday. Maybe give it a shot?

4) If you want to be 100% guaranteed brick-proof, you could pop open the casing and dump the NAND with soldered wires before doing absoloutely anything.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-install-a-cfw-on-a-9-0-9-2-n3ds-without-cn-oot.398394/

The very first thing you should do as soon as you can access Gateway Menu is make a backup of your Sysnand & copy that NAND.BIN to your computer incase you ever brick your N3DS.

As for cfw to use, i'd suggest Reinand.

Xinaman

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The CFWs supports emunand on the latest firmware on n3ds?
If does, its function like Gateway (eShop acesses and stuff)

Last edited by Xinaman,

lemanuel

Maxconsole's All-Knowing Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Reactions: Ripper00420

anakin908

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I've got a new 3ds on reinand 9.0.0-23 (updating in devmenu won't work for me), and I can't access the homebrew launcher with cubic ninja or browserhax from the emunand. The reason I'd like to use it is so that I can transfer my saves from my old ds with savegame_manager because savedatafiler is just not working for me unfortunately.

The specific error I get in both browserhax and ninjhax is "An error has occurred. Please save your data in any software currently in use, and then restart the system." I tried using my friend's Gateway to attempt using ninjhax in Gateway mode, but booting into Gateway mode gave me the same error.

Have any of you guys experienced this problem, or do you know any way to fix it? Thanks!

calebsw

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys. I've got a new 3ds on reinand 9.0.0-23 (updating in devmenu won't work for me), and I can't access the homebrew launcher with cubic ninja or browserhax from the emunand. The reason I'd like to use it is so that I can transfer my saves from my old ds with savegame_manager because savedatafiler is just not working for me unfortunately.

The specific error I get in both browserhax and ninjhax is "An error has occurred. Please save your data in any software currently in use, and then restart the system." I tried using my friend's Gateway to attempt using ninjhax in Gateway mode, but booting into Gateway mode gave me the same error.

Have any of you guys experienced this problem, or do you know any way to fix it? Thanks!

You might want to try clearing CN's game save (hold L+R+A+B at the main menu) and then using the ninjhax QR code to try again.

Oops, I mean L+R+X+Y

Last edited by calebsw,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6igvB1yR04A