• Views 4,569,590
  • Replies 53,813
  • Likes 43

smid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a r4i card and I want to play new games like the new phoenix wright etc. Do I have to buy a new card or can I install some cfw and play? What are my options?

Thanks in advance

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a r4i card and I want to play new games like the new phoenix wright etc. Do I have to buy a new card or can I install some cfw and play? What are my options?

Thanks in advance
If the R4i works on your 3DS, you should be able to play any DS games on your 3DS. If you mean 3DS games, an R4i will not work. To play 3DS games you can either use a Gateway flashcart, a Sky3DS flashcart or one of the CFWs. Your options may be limited by your 3DS's System Vesion (firmware) and type.

If your firmware is above 9.2 your only option is a Sky3DS flashcart. With the Sky3DS you can load roms, but that is all. No homebrew and no modified roms.

If your firmware is 9.2 or less and you have an old 3DS, you have a lot of choices. You can use Gateway, Sky3DS or any of the CFWs. My recommendation is to use the rxTools CFW, it supports all of the features Gateway does and its free. It allows you to setup emuNAND, install games as .cia files, play modified roms and launch homebrew. Note that you may want to get a larger SD card if you choose to use one of the CFWs.

If your firmware is 9.2 or less and you have a New 3DS, you can use either a Gateway, Sky3DS or PastaCFW. My recommendation in this case is to get a Gateway flashcart and either a copy of Cubic Ninja, Ocarina of Time or a Sky3DS (you MUST have one of these to setup the Gateway the first time, after that the game is no longer required to launch Gateway). Gateway allows you to setup emuNAND, install games as .cias, run roms, directly from the flashcart, play modified roms and launch homebrew. You can use one of the listed games to launch Gateway the first time and from there install the MSET exploit which will allow you to launch Gateway without the use of one of those games from then on. The reason I don't recommend PastaCFW is that it does not allow emuNAND yet and installing .cias to your sysNAND is very dangerous, if anything goes wrong the 3DS can brick.

Make sure you do some research on whichever option sounds interesting to you, as there are quite a few steps to make sure nothing goes wrong during the process of setting up.

Kracken

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you downgrade your system settings before creating your emuNAND? If that's the case you won't have the option as you have the System Settings of a normal 3DS on your N3DS's emuNAND. Use 3DNUS to download the correct system settings:
US: Title ID: 0004001000021000 Version: 8203
EU: Title ID: 0004001000022000 Version: 8202
JPN: Title ID: 0004001000020000 Version: 9224

Install the generated .cia file in emuNAND and that should solve your problem.

I started from a new N3DS XL, created emunand and updated via system settings when GW supported 9.5.

I recently upgraded my SD card and backed up and then restored my emunand using the emunand tool posted on here.

I haven't done anything beyond that and don't even know how one would donwgrade their system settings. Either way I'll try installing the correct system settings cia.

smid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If your firmware is 9.2 or less and you have an old 3DS, you have a lot of choices. You can use Gateway, Sky3DS or any of the CFWs. My recommendation is to use the rxTools CFW, it supports all of the features Gateway does and its free. It allows you to setup emuNAND, install games as .cia files, play modified roms and launch homebrew. Note that you may want to get a larger SD card if you choose to use one of the CFWs.

Thanks so much for the info. Actually i am on 4.5 and have an old 3ds xl.
I think I managed to install rxmode. When I launch Rxmode in emunand the firmware version says RX3D 4.5.0. Does this mean the installation was successful? :)
Also, It's still on 4.5, which means I can't install FBI. Is there any way to saftely update the emunand firmware? I can't get the run.bat method to work. And I know I have the right ip adress etc.

Last edited by smid,

Aerow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey there I got a quick question regarding sky3ds. I want to import a jap n3ds to play Monster Hunter X when its out but I wanted to know if I could purchase a sky3ds and play some offline US ROMS(because I hear online public headers can get you banned) without much effort.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone help me installing PBT CFW on 4.2.0-9U? I need to install devmenu_2x.cia then sysupdater to update to 9.2.0-20U. I don't have any kind of flash cart.

Tried to boot PBT like hundred time without 1 success.

Nil Edwin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just bought a new nintendo 3DS yesterday and, when i was almost buying some games, the seller told me about this SKY3DS.
He was asking too much for it (about $150).
Theres any other way cheaper that makes the same thing has SKY3DS does?

Ps: i just updated my N3DS, and i dont think this going to help... :/

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks so much for the info. Actually i am on 4.5 and have an old 3ds xl.
I think I managed to install rxmode. When I launch Rxmode in emunand the firmware version says RX3D 4.5.0. Does this mean the installation was successful? :)
Also, It's still on 4.5, which means I can't install FBI. Is there any way to saftely update the emunand firmware? I can't get the run.bat method to work. And I know I have the right ip adress etc.
Yes, if the system settings say RX, that means you have booted into rxMode. You can try the FBI Injection method found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/rxtools-with-signatures-patched-out.390607/page-65#post-5540327

Ignore the bit about the patched rxTools, that post is from before rxTools had the signature patches included.

Hey there I got a quick question regarding sky3ds. I want to import a jap n3ds to play Monster Hunter X when its out but I wanted to know if I could purchase a sky3ds and play some offline US ROMS(because I hear online public headers can get you banned) without much effort.
This is a hard question to answer definitively. By default you cannot play out of region games, even on a Sky3DS. However, there is a tool for the 3DS called regionFOUR which would allow you to play out of region games. There is a chance though, that by the time MHX comes out, Nintendo will have patched regionFOUR and the US roms would no longer be playable. The other flashcard option, Gateway supports out of region games by default, but they're still stuck on the N3DS's new encryption, which means that if MHX uses a new dev-kit, it might not even be playable on an N3DS using Gateway. All in all, it's hard to say what the best option would be for importing a Japaneses N3DS to play US roms on.

I just bought a new nintendo 3DS yesterday and, when i was almost buying some games, the seller told me about this SKY3DS.
He was asking too much for it (about $150).
Theres any other way cheaper that makes the same thing has SKY3DS does?

Ps: i just updated my N3DS, and i dont think this going to help... :/
Unfortunately, since you've updated, Sky3DS is your only option.

Reactions: Nil Edwin

solitaire4eva

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay all of this is confusing so I hope I got a simple question. All I want to do is to be able to play 3DS roms on a 3DS. I went and picked up a Cubic Ninja 3DS cartridge before getting a 3DS lol. Im finding a hard time locating a 3DS below 9.5 but found a regular red standard one on 8.1 firmware for $119 used. Now what I need to know is there anything else I would need to buy to be able to play 3DS roms. I read that CIA's can be installled but I haven't seen many games in that specific format versus the actual Roms.

I'm just trying to figure out if I get the 3DS and install a CFW and DEvmenu will they play 3DS Roms? If not then I will gladly sell this cubic ninja and get me a Gateway......

phazer

Trophies
XP
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
Hi all,

I have some 3DS related noob questions as well.

My old 3DS XL is running original system firmware 9.0.0-20E.

I planned to order a SKY3DS or Gateway card. But I am not sure, if rxTools by Roxas75 would be fine for me as well.
So I would like to give it a try. Therefore I followed the readme at github and I was able to make rxTools.dat and downloaded firmware.bin. I copied both to the root of my sdcard.

But now I stuck. Which steps do I have to perform next?
Do I have to perform an exploit using the 3DS browser?
What is that 6.x MSET cia? What is the ROP installer?

Maybe someone can clear that up for me?

Thanks.

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay all of this is confusing so I hope I got a simple question. All I want to do is to be able to play 3DS roms on a 3DS. I went and picked up a Cubic Ninja 3DS cartridge before getting a 3DS lol. Im finding a hard time locating a 3DS below 9.5 but found a regular red standard one on 8.1 firmware for $119 used. Now what I need to know is there anything else I would need to buy to be able to play 3DS roms. I read that CIA's can be installled but I haven't seen many games in that specific format versus the actual Roms.

I'm just trying to figure out if I get the 3DS and install a CFW and DEvmenu will they play 3DS Roms? If not then I will gladly sell this cubic ninja and get me a Gateway......
Yes, a CFW will allow you to play roms. My suggestion is to use rxTools, it supports all the features GW has and it's free. Since you are using an old 3DS, you don't need Cubic Ninja, but you can keep it if you want to use something like Ninjhax with it. As for .cia games, they're out there. If a game isn't already in .cia format they can be converted. I can't tell you exactly where to look due to forum rules, but there's "some iso site" out there with them.

Tony_93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much BobDoleOwndu! Just what I needed to know. I guess I should get rid of this Cubic Ninja when I am done.

Can't believe I paid $35 for a used Cubic Ninja lol.

To play Cia games in a nutshell, use gateway's launcher.dat to format emunand and downgrade to 4.2 > copy rxtools.dat and firmware.bin to your SD card > Install and use DS Profile exploit to launch rxtools > update emunand > Use FBI to install BigBlueMenu and manage .cia files from here > get some cia's to install them.

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much BobDoleOwndu! Just what I needed to know. I guess I should get rid of this Cubic Ninja when I am done.

$35 for a used Cubic Ninja is considered to be cheap here where I live. Last time I knew of an used Cubic Ninja copy locally available is in Gamestop 80 miles away for $20.

Used copy lately is $50ish on ebay and amazon (hyped by ninjhax 2.0 release?)

TY89

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Is it possible to transfer my new 3DS XL Sytem to a regular new 3DS?

Guessing it's not, is there a way to play online on a new 3DS Console? As I couldn!t set up a Nintendo ID on it right now...

ngagethetaco

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to change the region of your emunand? Can you do that to buy from the japanese eshop on a US 3DS? If I do that, will I be unable to play my US retail carts on a JPN emunand. My sysnand is on 4.2.9 US, and I've seen horror stories of people bricking their consoles trying to update to 9.2 without using a compatible retail cart like Smash bros.

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

No problem!

Is it possible to change the region of your emunand? Can you do that to buy from the japanese eshop on a US 3DS? If I do that, will I be unable to play my US retail carts on a JPN emunand. My sysnand is on 4.2.9 US, and I've seen horror stories of people bricking their consoles trying to update to 9.2 without using a compatible retail cart like Smash bros.
Yes, it is possible to change emuNAND's region. Unfortunately, it will not allow you to access the eShop at all once you do the region change, it's a bug that's still being worked on. If you do decide to do a region change, you should still be able to play your US carts. Since I think your main use for the region change is to go on the JP eShop and that doesn't work on region changed 3DSes, I would advise against doing this.

Reactions: solitaire4eva

smid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I downloaded the new Ace Attorney game and new yoshi's island, decrypted it with rxtools, converted to cia and installed with fbi. However, when I run the game I get an error saying "An error has occurred." and I have to reboot the 3DS. Is there anything I can do to get this working?

Last edited by smid,

ezalore

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hello, i want to install the latest CFW on my old 3DS, but i have the 4.5.0-0E firmware with no browser (no QR Code etc) so it's complicated.
I already have the palantine CFW with red menu...(i have a Sky3DS to have cubic ninja for exemple)

What's the best to "update" my hack on this 3DS please ? (i don't know the new possibilites because it's been a long time since i tried to do something on 3DS)

I seen the last pasta, cakes, rxtool and i want to use one of them.
Thank you guys !!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 🫂