• Likes 43

AceEvo55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi.

Does gateway need a private header?

I read some topics and it seems that i may need for .3ds, but with .cia it's not needed.

That's correct?

Right! A .3ds file should be patched with the Gateway rom patches tool using a private header (one from a game that you own) to become a .3dz file.

CIA files do not need to be patched.

You could use a public header, but that risks you being banned. You can use the same private header for every rom, and it can be from any game, offline or not.

Reactions: trsoares

BobDoleOwndU

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HI! I'm new to 3DS hacking though I've been lurking off and on here for a while now, GBAtemp helped me with my DS Flashcart and to jailbreak my Wii. I have many many question and here seemed to be the best place to ask them.

Am I missing any steps on the above list to safely install a custom firmware on my 3ds? I have an old 3DS XL currently running 10.3.0-28U. Broswerhax, Menuhax and Ironhax are all installed. The ones in Blue I have already done.

1. Prepare SD card for homebrew with homebrew starter kit.
  2. Add custom theme of choice from 3dsthem.es to SD Card:\3ds\menuhax_manager
  3. Install Browserhax (I used Joedor's video tutorial)
  4. While inside the browser HBLauncher, run Menuhax manager.
  5. Install MenuHax by following onscreen directions.
  6. Install a custom theme by following the onscreen directions
  7. Exit Menuhax and reboot.
  8. Boot into Homebrew Launcher (I do this by pressing L during the start up)
  9. Use the old Eshop Downloader to download and install the old version of Ironfall then reboot.
  10. Play Ironfall for a short bit.
  11. Boot into Homebrew Launcher and install ironhax. I now have two ways to access the Homebrew Launcher.
  12. Follow this tutorial here to Downgrade my 3ds Firmware to 9.2, triple checking my steps –-> https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-downgrade-3ds-with-sysupdater.407924/
  13. Follow this tutorial here to instal RX tools CFW? https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/
  14. Use FBI to install BigBlueMenu.

Once I have the custom firmware installed, how do I make sure Nintendo doesn't download an update? Will I still be able to go online? I don't play games online but I do play via download play with my Fiancée and I think you have to turn the wifi switch to on to do that. Will that still be possible? Racing against eachother in MarioKart is a fun past time for us both and I don't want us to lose it.

Is there any Homebrew that does what moonshell does for the DS? Any way to run DS homebrew on the 3ds?

With a custom firmware or homebrew, can I currently set up my 3ds so that there is a way to mute the sound so that even if I accidentally knock into the volume switch when I play the sound doesn't go up or down? How about the 3d?

How much space am I going to need on an SD card to install the custom firmware?

Is there a working NES emulator for the 3ds?

Where can I find a troubleshooting guide for BlargSNES?

How can a nonprogrammer like myself contribute to the homebrew community?

Is there a way to create 3d themes for menuhax?

How do I find out what emunand I can and cannot run with RXTools?

Will this SD card be good enough to use for the 3ds SD card?

What happens if Nintendo updates to 10.4 before I set up the downgrade and custom firmware?
Your steps look good.

Since you're using an O3DS, you don't really need to worry about downloading updates in emuNAND; rxTools' emuNAND should be able to support the updates.

I don't think anything similar to MoonShell exists for the 3DS. The only (convenient) way to run DS homebrew on the 3DS is via a DS flashcart.

There is no homebrew that currently allows you to disable sound and 3D.

The CFW files themselves are small. You won't need much space for them. What you'll need space for is the games you'll install. I'd recommend either a 32GB or 64GB SD card if you plan on installing games.

For blargSnes look here: http://4dsdev.org/thread.php?id=5.

The best way for non-programmers to contribute to homebrew is by testing for the devs if they ask.

For emuNAND, O3DSes can run the latest firmware version. N3DSes can run up to 9.5.0-23.

I can't vouch for Lexar SD cards; I've never used one. Typically SanDisk and Kingston SD cards are recommended.

You won't be impacted if Nintendo releases a 10.4 update as long as you don't update.

AceEvo55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
After that I can put in my SD card and update my emunand?

Yes, once it's formatted I believe it'll reboot. Keep the SD card out, turn it back on, allow it to prepare the home menu (you'll have to "set up" the ds again), and then turn it off and put the SD card back in.

Edit: make sure you only update to 9.5 via sysupdater if you're on a N3DS

Last edited by AceEvo55,

tornadog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, once it's formatted I believe it'll reboot. Keep the SD card out, turn it back on, allow it to prepare the home menu (you'll have to "set up" the ds again), and then turn it off and put the SD card back in.

is 9.5 neccessary for any games or can I play everything with 9.2? I dont see the point of 9.5 on the n3ds. Also if I need to update to 9.5, I just get the cias from the ISO site and run sysupdater from emunand? Is that it?

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm on o3ds is it okay to update all the way to 10.3

AceEvo55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I can't vouch for Lexar SD cards; I've never used one. Typically SanDisk and Kingston SD cards are recommended.

I use Lexar cards, they're reliable!

is 9.5 neccessary for any games or can I play everything with 9.2? I dont see the point of 9.5 on the n3ds. Also if I need to update to 9.5, I just get the cias from the ISO site and run sysupdater from emunand? Is that it?

If you have a Gateway, it spoofs your firmware and 9.2 will be fine! 9.5 is needed to spoof eShop access though. But yes, that's how you'd go about updating it!

I'm on o3ds is it okay to update all the way to 10.3

Yeah!

tornadog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use Lexar cards, they're reliable!

If you have a Gateway, it spoofs your firmware and 9.2 will be fine! 9.5 is needed to spoof eShop access though. But yes, that's how you'd go about updating it!

Yeah!

I am just using rxtools and fbi to install cias. I guess I cant update them from the eshop and will have to get the update cias from somewhere!

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
After downgrading my 10.3 O3DS to 9.2, I was able to set up an autobooting emunand thanks to rxTools, Menuhax, and CTRBootManager. But I have a strange issue where my system freezes when waking it up from sleepmode. I remember seeing other people have this issue but I can't remember the solution. Any ideas?

cheongzewei

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Hi , I need some help with custom themes.

I'm running gateway on a v4.3 nand. I open gateway using tools>ds profile.

How do I install custom themes? Is there a step by step tutorial to install custom themes?

AceEvo55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am just using rxtools and fbi to install cias. I guess I cant update them from the eshop and will have to get the update cias from somewhere!
Yeah, you'll need to download the CIAs and install them. Just make sure that the update region matches the game region!

Serial07

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hi there!

Is there any other way than the Gateway classic mode to play game cards on a N3DS emuNAND without updating either NAND?
I know that I can play them on emuNAND too, but the problem is, that the Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam Bros. needs higher firmware than the supported emuNAND version. Please, don't tell me to install and play it from microSD, because my brother wants to play it on his game card.

Thanks in advance. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ow 100hp hit out a billion