• Views 4,549,553
  • Replies 53,804
  • Likes 43

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I'll be getting my 1st 3DS on Monday :lol:. I've done the research, just want to confirm the following steps.

1. Get 3DS w/ 4.1-4.5 NAND and flash card.
2. Create/solder USB NAND adapter.
3. Backup 4.x version NAND.
4. Upgrade to 8.0 on system NAND.
5. Download game updates/patches to games from official E-Shop.
6. Downgrade back to 4.x via USB NAND with updates sitting on the SD card.
7. Patch games for online and play online.

Step 4 is the one that makes me the most nervous, so I want to make sure that the steps will work before doing that.

One other question, do you need the game card to download updates from E-Shop?

this process will no longer work(due to 8.0 update), currently there is zero way to get patches from eshop unless you already had them downloaded
Any saves you back up from a real game card will not work. Gateway cannot handle the save encryption properly.

not true actually it varies between games
guys, can someone tell me if saves from a legit, physical game continue to work when dumping a game and making it .3dz? if it's just a matter of header inside the sav and the rom they should work, right?

also: does bravely default give save corruption problems when switching from gateway 2.0b1 to gateway omega?

some games will work some games wont, basically boils down to

if the game uses 6.x save encryption or not, if it does the save will only work if it was played in classic mode and not on a updated console
and the dumped save MUST be 512kb, or a nand save game i.e animal crossing or pokemon
its just a matter of checking the save size as long as the games have only been played in classic mode

but yeah they will need to be used with the exact same dumped cart with header in place as a .3dz rom

BrainActivity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am waiting for my R4i Gold 3DS Wood to arrive in the mail. The site where I ordered it from says it will support 8.0.0-18 directly which was advertised yesterday. I ordered the card a week ago. Does this mean it will work out of the box with the new firmware? I am confused because I am looking at the website (http://www.r4ids.cn/) and I do not see any new patches. I am currently running 7.2.0-17U.

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am waiting for my R4i Gold 3DS Wood to arrive in the mail. The site where I ordered it from says it will support 8.0.0-18 directly which was advertised yesterday. I ordered the card a week ago. Does this mean it will work out of the box with the new firmware? I am confused because I am looking at the website (http://www.r4ids.cn/) and I do not see any new patches. I am currently running 7.2.0-17U.

the 8.0 update may not have blocked flashcards, so no updates for the R4 card was released. It should work with 8.0 as it says.

sgtkwol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this process will no longer work(due to 8.0 update), currently there is zero way to get patches from eshop unless you already had them downloaded

I forgot. 3ds is coming with 7.1 EmuNAND. Does that allow my original plan to work? Is it relatively safe to try with USB NAND adapter?

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question: How long exactly does it take for the game save to write to the SD, when you close a game? I don't want to act too fast and lose progress.

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
You're correct that the new firmware version (8.0) totally breaks emunand so DON'T UPDATE YOUR EMUNAND. Using classic mode you don't have to update the emunand at all. Games requiring a higher firmware version still work fine, except for the newer games running on 7.2 like Tomodachi Life or the Pokemon Academy game. I played ALBW on a emunand version of 4.4 but I think the game itself requires 6.x.
Ah ok that's interesting, why then is it that newer games won't work on older versions of emunand? Is is because those games require 7.2 which is currently broke on the current gateway firmware?

I'll be getting my 1st 3DS on Monday :lol:. I've done the research, just want to confirm the following steps.

1. Get 3DS w/ 4.1-4.5 NAND and flash card.
2. Create/solder USB NAND adapter.
3. Backup 4.x version NAND.
4. Upgrade to 8.0 on system NAND.
5. Download game updates/patches to games from official E-Shop.
6. Downgrade back to 4.x via USB NAND with updates sitting on the SD card.
7. Patch games for online and play online.

Step 4 is the one that makes me the most nervous, so I want to make sure that the steps will work before doing that.

One other question, do you need the game card to download updates from E-Shop?
I think most people use emunand to do the same thing, I'm not even sure if your method would work, why not wait for gateway to release their new update that will support system version 8.0? It'll probably be out in a week or so

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Ah ok that's interesting, why then is it that newer games won't work on older versions of emunand? Is is because those games require 7.2 which is currently broke on the current gateway firmware?
7.x came with a new ability to use an alternate encryption method, many games that require 7.x don't use it and work fine on 4.x emunand, but any games that use it are unplayable in even 7.x emunand as the new encryption method isn't available unless the console booted directly to 7.x not 4.x

Trace_hunter

Trophies
XP
Country
7.x came with a new ability to use an alternate encryption method, many games that require 7.x don't use it and work fine on 4.x emunand, but any games that use it are unplayable in even 7.x emunand as the new encryption method isn't available unless the console booted directly to 7.x not 4.x
Ah I see, so this is hopefully something that can be fixed with gateway updates? I'm just thinking smash bros is a game I'll want in the future and it would suck if it's not playable due to some new encryption method

ScarletSpear

Trophies
XP
Country
Hiya guys. I hope this is the right place to ask a question. I am a noob so I think I am in the right place :)

I have an R4i deluxe card and have it working.

I want to get a gateway card as it seems to have faster updates and works with Pokemon X and Y

Can I have both cards running on the same 3DS if I have the two different launcher.dat files on two different SD cards and change out, or can I only have one exploit on one 3DS at a time.

I ask this because I don't think its all that easy to get rid of a flashcard if you have one as they aren't sold on ebay or amazon so if I get a gateway and still have the R4i I want to know if I can use them both (as pointless as that is lol)

Cant find anything in other threads, on google or the FAQ to answer this.

ScarletCrystals

Useless Bunny of Paradise
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hiya guys. I hope this is the right place to ask a question. I am a noob so I think I am in the right place :)

I have an R4i deluxe card and have it working.

I want to get a gateway card as it seems to have faster updates and works with Pokemon X and Y

Can I have both cards running on the same 3DS if I have the two different launcher.dat files on two different SD cards and change out, or can I only have one exploit on one 3DS at a time.

I ask this because I don't think its all that easy to get rid of a flashcard if you have one as they aren't sold on ebay or amazon so if I get a gateway and still have the R4i I want to know if I can use them both (as pointless as that is lol)

Cant find anything in other threads, on google or the FAQ to answer this.
Yups, it should work. Since the ds mode exploit works exactly the same for both cards.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
It would mean switching the launcher.data every time, there is little point to be honest gateway does everything R4 does and more, there is a selling section on GBATemp you should be able to sell it on there

ScarletSpear

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks guys. I looked into the flash cards loads but obviously not enough because now I think that the Gateway is just better overall. I went for the cheaper option to be honest and it works fine, just Pokemon I wanted and may keep the R4i card and buy the new game when it comes out.

I will take a look at the selling section though. I didn't know there was one, Score!

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Iirc you have to have over 50 posts to sell stuff on here, if your happy with the card and it's only pokemon you want you could just buy the game........actually I don't think R4i have classic mode now, but you can use the gateway launcher to play pokemon in classic mode
But gateway does have other benefits like eshop rom support and online support etc

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a wealth of information here, and I bought a Zelda ALBW gold 3ds XL. It's on FW 7.2.0 17U, which makes it incompatible with the Gateway 3DS flashcart I'm interested in. My question is, what are my options so that maybe one day if my FW is compatible I'll be able to use Gateway?

I figure that not updating is #1, however I won't be able to d/load any new games since FW 8.0 released. Is it possible to dump my sysNAND w/o a flashcart so that in the future I can easily downgrade if support for FW 7.2.0 ever becomes available? If not what will I need so that I can safely d/grade in the future?

EDIT: I Looked this up in the 3DS wiki FAQ, "You don't need the 3DS flashcart to backup your NAND to nand.bin file. You need only a working DS flashcart to install the modified DS profile on your console and the Launcher.dat file on your SD card."

So I guess now the question is which DS flashcart is compatible for my situation so that I can make backup my NAND. Or will I have to go with the Hardware Method of NAND backup?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to dump my sysNAND w/o a flashcart so that in the future I can easily downgrade if support for FW 7.2.0 ever becomes available? If not what will I need so that I can safely d/grade in the future?

EDIT: I Looked this up in the 3DS wiki FAQ, "You don't need the 3DS flashcart to backup your NAND to nand.bin file. You need only a working DS flashcart to install the modified DS profile on your console and the Launcher.dat file on your SD card."

So I guess now the question is which DS flashcart is compatible for my situation so that I can make backup my NAND. Or will I have to go with the Hardware Method of NAND backup?

Hardware method is the only way to backup NAND if you are above 4.5.

FAQ is simply letting people know you don't need a Gateway to use the backup NAND function, just a DS card to install the profile exploit. You still need to be on 4.1-.4.5 to run the exploit and backup the NAND.

thomeval

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
What's the likelihood of a new boxed 3DS (non-XL, PAL region) having firmware <= 4.5? I did of course check the hacking FAQ, but the data doesn't cover non-XL 3DS's. Does the copyright year help at all?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/8FD7Uuo2tYw?si=agfH-CKBav-2B11w +1