OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
e32010starfox643dsscree.jpg

QUOTE said:
We had carried a report on the health risks involved with Nintendo 3DS' autostereoscopic (glassless 3D) display, and reports from the recently concluded Nintendo World event seem to confirm the same. A Japanese magazine called Friday claims that a "majority" of visitors who tried out 3DS at the event experienced 3D induced side effects like eye-fatigue and dizziness, when they used the 3D functionality of the portable.

Friday spoke to visitors, who sampled the 3DS, and found that many of them switched from 3D to the 2D mode within a few minutes citing minor dizziness. A word of caution, as Friday is known for its tabloidesque reportage, let's not jump to any hasty conclusions. However, this does carry some credence as all 3D displays that we have tried tend to cause fatigue within a few minutes of usage.
Source

We all knew 3DS can cause this, but come on many people switching from 3D to 2D mode in a matter of minutes. Is it really critically affecting a lot of people? It’s just so damn quick and seems like quite a few people won’t be enjoying 3D. I just hope I don’t fall into that because I’m energized to play hours in 3D mode =D

EDIT: Another source reporting

QUOTEWeekly tabloid Friday claims that a majority of users reported signs of dizziness and/or eye fatigue and people were quick to turn off the 3D features.

Even the writer of the story claimed to have experienced symptoms after a bash on the 3DS. "After playing for 10 minutes, I started feeling a little dizzy", he said. "It was like being seasick".

Another user said after a minute's play: "I can't bear it" and stated that his eyes felt "tired".

We're not pouring scorn on the Friday story, but we haven't heard many other reports of the 3DS causing sickness or dizziness, so we'll reserve judgement for now.
Source

r3gR3t

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Seriously I don't think the 3DS is going to cause as much damage to our eyes as they're publishing... Nintendo's probably doing all that to protect themselves from any sue that 3DS users may come up with, I mean, why would they make a new handheld from which they won't get any profit?? Specially with the money and time invested in developing it... I think that is all b***s***. Yeah, maybe the the 3D fx will hurt your eyes, but I don't think it'll be THAT bad...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
r3gR3t said:
Seriously I don't think the 3DS is going to cause as much damage to our eyes as they're publishing... Nintendo's probably doing all that to protect themselves from any sue that 3DS users may come up with, I mean, why would they make a new handheld from which they won't get any profit?? Specially with the money and time invested in developing it... I think that is all b***s***. Yeah, maybe the the 3D fx will hurt your eyes, but I don't think it'll be THAT bad...

It's not the damage that matters, it's that if people are feeling shitty after playing it for a bit then it's not gonna work that well. I don't think a lot of people are willing to experience dizziness and fatigue to play a game for a bit.

QUOTE(Stevetry @ Jan 18 2011, 02:19 PM) they are weakling 3d mode is awesome people

Nice post, does it come in English? And yeah, you'll call them "weakling" when you're experiencing the same thing they are in a couple of minutes.

Regardless of how the device makes you feel on 3D mode, I'd be willing to buy it if it was in a decent price range and the game library was really up and about. I probably won't consider one, from seeing what the Japanese got as a launch line-up and what this report says, for another six months after a US release date.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Maybe it just takes a little getting used to.

I remember the first FPS I ever played making me so sick, I couldn't move for an hour for fear of projectile vomiting. Curse you, Wolfenstein 3D!
mad.gif

But then I got used to it
nyanya.gif

Traversal

Soooo cool!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I could see this happening, but, it's not like they were used to the effect. I'm sure if they had been using it for awhile, it wouldn't cause these problems, but, they were just checking it out.

I guess we'll just have to wait till launch to see.

TheTwoR's

Yay I can finally edit this thingy :D
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
I HATE ALL THE STUPID HATERS THAT HATE WHAT'S NOT TO BE HATED.

NINTENDO IS A SUCCESSFUL COMPANY THEY OBVIOUSLY STUDIED THIS 3DS OF THEIRS.

I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD STOP HATING AND MAKING UP COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE 3DS WHEN THEY'RE REALLY FEELING JUST FINE.

(wow I just noticed how mean caps looks. Sorry.)

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I remember when I used to get motion sickness from watching people play FPS' like Time Splitter, Doom, and Call of Duty. After awhile though, it pretty much stopped happening to me. I'm sure I'll go through a similar process with this.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys fail to realize that we are talking about JAPANESE gamers here. If I remember correctly, there used to be lots of talk about how Japanese gamers would get motion sickness a lot easier than their other region counterparts due to not being fond of constantly changing camera angles and things of that sort. Don't totally quote me on this, just going by memory of something I read years ago (I believe said by Miyamoto in a way old issue of EGM) but if that's the case I'd imagine that fumbling with the 3D effect on the 3DS would probably give a Japanese gamer the same feeling.

NaokiKitsuhine

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
QUOTE said:
HATE ALL THE STUPID HATERS THAT HATE WHAT'S NOT TO BE HATED.

NINTENDO IS A SUCCESSFUL COMPANY THEY OBVIOUSLY STUDIED THIS 3DS OF THEIRS.

I THINK PEOPLE SHOULD STOP HATING AND MAKING UP COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE 3DS WHEN THEY'RE REALLY FEELING JUST FINE.

(wow I just noticed how mean caps looks. Sorry.)
Overreacting, even if the caps was by accident. lol

people who are not accustomed to the 3D will surely feel the same effect of eye fatigue or dizzy, I had never seen ay movie in 3D, and when I saw the movie TRON I've felt dizzy, but now I'm becoming more accustomed.

QUOTEMaybe it just takes a little getting used to.

I remember the first FPS I ever played making me so sick, I couldn't move for an hour for fear of projectile vomiting. Curse you, Wolfenstein 3D!

But then I got used to it

I've suffered the same playing Goldeneye 007 in my 64. After weeks I got used to it.

*Sorry about bad english

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
There's always some whiny bitch that complains about all new technology. I wouldn't be surprised if the first guys to use the N64's analogue stick whined about it hurting their thumbs. Pussies
glare.gif

Now back to waiting patiently for the big news in the morning
smile.gif

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
personuser said:
It's the Virtual Boy all over again! XD

I can play on a virtual boy for an hour with no ill effects at all (I own one). So I will wait until I actually try out a 3DS and see how I fare with one, I wont get put off by these sort of stories before I even try it.

boktor666

Gbatemp's official Solar Boy™ Is Back!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Ah, It's not a like the system is instant perfectness of something. Mabey the side effects are some kind of Production error. But turning off after 10 minutes is like.. Not pissing in the toilet, because you are scared of the alligators in the sewer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: *burp*