Hacking 3DS Flashcarts - News, Updates, and Support Thread

Danny350

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They may as well NOT be. Point is that you cannot tell people something and then not deliver and when you're questioned on it, make a whole shitload of excuses. As for me, I'm not doing any more videos or promotions for Gateway. I'm done. I will not recommend a product that cannot meet its deadlines and then lie to people like they do. Fuck them.
They didn't just ignore the release date, they made a post giving a reason for the delayed, and gave you another expected timeline. Do you think the Gateway team wanted to miss the release date? I guarantee you they had a talk and decided it was in the best interest of the users, and the Gateway team to delay the release. Nobody is happy about this, it's just the way things like this work. Just try to see it from their point of view.

Reactions: moviecut

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
Based on what we know it seems like the Gateway 2.0 update will require users to change some of the code on the Red Cart's chip itself in order to introduce the new features.

This is based on Gateway's claims that the clones do not have updateable chips and thus will be unable to make further releases.

This is very different from previous updates where only the launcher.dat really needed to be updated.

When you are talking about updating the code on the chip itself, the update had better be solid as a rock. Otherwise you will risk an epidemic of people bricking their Red Carts.

They would need to fool proof the update to minimize the number if people irreversibly breaking their carts. We already know from the debacle of people accidentally updating their 3ds firmware by trying to update their emuNand without first going over the manual that people can not be relied upon to follow standard procedure.

I for one appreciate that the Gateway team is taking extra time to make sure the update is as stable as possible to minimize the risk of customers bricking their carts. If people already start to get their panties in a twist because a few are upset over a delay in release dates, imagine what it would be like when even a small minority of people get their carts bricked because the update is not fool-proofed.

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When you are talking about updating the code on the chip itself, the update had better be solid as a rock. Otherwise you will risk an epidemic of people bricking their Red Carts.

That shouldn't be a problem. If the red cart update is performed through launcher.dat, and not the red cart itself, it should be easy to fix any bricks.

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
"-Integrated menu system"

Can anybody take a guess what this means? Integrated into what?

I'll take a couple of stabs. One could be since they have fat32 working, they could place the menu code on the Red cart's sd or maybe even the cart's firmware. Two, maybe 3ds firmware integration (home henu icon), but that's a looonng shot.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Two, maybe 3ds firmware integration (home henu icon), but that's a looonng shot.

I hope they are clever enough to have been working on a menu from the Home Menu, but as you said, it may be asking a lot. Still could be the reason they have taken too much time working on Multirom and card2 support.

deoFusion

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope they are clever enough to have been working on a menu from the Home Menu, but as you said, it may be asking a lot. Still could be the reason they have taken too much time working on Multirom and card2 support.
Well they did mention a real time save system, so it seems more plausible.

AceLighting

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Theres a new post on the gateway website
HAPPY NEW YEAR

1/01/2014
We wish a happy new year to all Gateway users around the world. 2014 will be a great year for us with a lot of things to come!

We have been working hard to release our final 2.0 firmware in 2013 as we know you are all highly expecting it. Because we want to make sure to offer a stable and fully tested product, we are slightly delaying our next update to the early days of 2014.

This is what our users will soon be able to enjoy on their Gateway system:

- Integrated menu system
- Emu-Nand with up to date compatibility
- Back up your own game cartridges
- Nand based titles compatibility
- Fat32 based drag & drop Multi-Rom
- New real time save system

Note: User feedback for GW2.0b2 has been overwhelmingly positive. The absolute stability of our beta menu system was an important milestone for us prior to pushing out the FPGA update required for some of the new features.

Happy New Year! We will be back soon with our new firmware.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
you want to complain about a software release delay, fine. There are already tons of messages everywhere for that, and for each update there are similar messages.
But don't fight and insult other users.

Maybe we should create a thread "complaints about flashcart's delays and features", it would be a huge success, and leave the informative threads to their purposes.

Reactions: gamefan5

thecourier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you want to complain about a software release delay, fine. There are already tons of messages everywhere for that, and for each update there are similar messages.
But don't fight and insult other users.

Maybe we should create a thread "complaints about flashcart's delays and features", it would be a huge success, and leave the informative threads to their purposes.

May I ask why this board is so draconian that we can't make petty jokes/comments? Also, I've never seen a more bigger circle jerk than the Gateway one. Can they maybe get their own board?

Reactions: Huntereb

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That will only create more place to moderate, as users don't read and post where they want. They will only have more place to post the same thing and have more duplicated threads.

Jokes are fine, but after reading dozen of comments complaining about the delays and starting to insult each others, I doesn't look like joke anymore to me.
I don't delete comments about complaints and kids whining about their toy they can't get. I only try to focus them in a single place. We don't need the board to be filled with the same message for 3 pages. Other subjects have their places too, you need to think about users who want to find legit subjects and seek answers to set up their new flashcart too.

Reactions: Rob Blou and goober

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
anyone know if the all black (black/black) 3ds xl's are on 4.5, or are they higher firmware out of the box?

Mine was a US "launch day" unit and it came w/ 5.X on it (don't recall the exact version). I suspect all the North American black XL's to be on the same or higher firmware.

irondoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will early days 2014 update have Pokemon rom support? I hope but does anyone know?

Happy New Years and peaceful tidings fellow merry makers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, MAGA supporters be wearing tin foil hats lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, whats maga?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It stands for Maniacs Against General Acceptance
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, people rejecting general consensus about stuff?
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, nuh its really just Trump followers
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, im not american so i dont care about trump
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    or us elections
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me niether, us north Koreans don't care
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i don't care either, even if i'm american
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    truth be told, i agree with psi, i dislike both candidates, but i'd probably vote trump simply because the economy was better during his presidency
    +1
  • AngryCinnabon @ AngryCinnabon:
    Just be careful, if trump ends up winning and using project 2025 America might really change...for the worse.
    I'm not american and even that sends shivers down my spine.
    anything that offers trump an opportunity to become an actual dictator
    is bad in my book, i could care less if it wasn't for that...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Canada: America's Russia
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    people are so dramatic that I can't even tell if they are being serious
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Why so serious!
    @BakerMan, yeah that's about the only reason I would vote for Trump over Biden.
    +1
    In my opinion on all other factors they are pretty much the same.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Economy was better under Trump, according to Fox News.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I don't give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if your shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    A Far Right news service company
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    I give a fuck about what happens to America but I would like it if our shit didn't spill out on the rest of the world, thank you.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/OvD30K-KN3k