Hacking 3DS Firmware has been decrypted

Status
Not open for further replies.

sightlight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could I program in BASIC for the Nintendo 3DS?

Code:
hardware% = 0

while hardware% < 100
hardware% = hardware% + 1
Print "Hacking Progress: " + hardware%
next

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I see.
You don't want pirated games.
You just want a way to use emulators with pirated ROMs you clearly didn't dump yourself?

Someone will have to explain to me how emulation is not piracy.
Oh, you dumped them yourself? your own NES and SNES cartridge?
ok then, that's fine. not piracy. (just hypocrisy)
No offense, but what? Please show me something in my post that suggested the bolded part of your quote. If I own the games, it's not piracy. I own quite the collection of games, thank you very much. Not to mention that a great amount of NES and SNES and GBC games, and 100% of GBA games, aren't available for official purchase at all, so there's no way to legally pay them for it.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I see.
You don't want pirated games.
You just want a way to use emulators with pirated ROMs you clearly didn't dump yourself?

Someone will have to explain to me how emulation is not piracy.
Oh, you dumped them yourself? your own NES and SNES cartridge?
ok then, that's fine. not piracy. (just hypocrisy)
No offense, but what? If I own the games, it's not piracy.
Wrong. You have to make your own copy of the game, so unless you have a NES, SNES, GB/C, GBA, etc etc ripper then everything you download that isn't yours is piracy.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Wrong. You have to make your own copy of the game, so unless you have a NES, SNES, GB/C, GBA, etc etc ripper then everything you download that isn't yours is piracy.
Can you explain how? Just because the copy was put online for pirating purposes doesn't mean its use is inherently pirating. Now if Nintendo sold their own ROM rippers, I could understand. But they don't. Your basically arbitrarily saying that even if I already own the games, it's pirating unless I rip the cartridge myself using a device that still gives Nintendo no money, and hence can't possibly have any effect on them.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can you explain how? Just because the copy was put online for pirating purposes doesn't mean its use is inherently pirating. Now if Nintendo sold their own ROM rippers, I could understand. But they don't. Your basically arbitrarily saying that even if I already own the games, it's pirating unless I rip the cartridge myself using a device that still gives Nintendo no money, and hence can't possibly have any effect on them.
Not from that sense dude. It's like this...
If you download the ROM you didn't dump it's piracy.
And yet, if you dump the rom yourself and download it, it isn't piracy.

It's the 'you can't steal something you own' logic. XD

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
According to US Code Title 17, sections 105-118 (commonly known as the "Fair Use Doctrine") you may create a copy of something that you already own as an "archival copy". This means that you have to physically burn a copy of the game disk (or whatever), torrenting does not fall under the provisions of Fair Use, even if you already own the game. (Burning a new game disk takes you into a gray area with the DMCA, but that's a totally different discussion).

Even if you own the game, you can't just download it and say it's not piracy. It's not your copy of the game, therefore it would be considered an "illegal" or pirated copy.

Yes, you still have to rip the game yourself even if you bought it.

loco365

Trophies
XP
I could care less about pirating games... just give me the ability to properly emulate NES, SNES, and GBA ROMs with decent performance and enough resolution, and I'll be happy.
All I'd really like is a way to disable the region lock. It's a first step.
This is all I want. I could care less for pirating 3DS games. Especially that they're so large they'll take up a huge chunk of my SD card.

Reactions: 3 people

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
According to US Code Title 17, sections 105-118 (commonly known as the "Fair Use Doctrine") you may create a copy of something that you already own as an "archival copy". This means that you have to physically burn a copy of the game disk (or whatever), torrenting does not fall under the provisions of Fair Use, even if you already own the game. (Burning a new game disk takes you into a gray area with the DMCA, but that's a totally different discussion).

Even if you own the game, you can't just download it and say it's not piracy. It's not your copy of the game, therefore it would be considered an "illegal" or pirated copy.

Well, then you're right. All I have to say is that I heavily disagree with that. It's an arbitrary distinction, in my opinion.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States

Well, then you're right. All I have to say is that I heavily disagree with that. It's an arbitrary distinction, in my opinion.
Before Virtual Console I would agree, but now that you can buy copies of some of the more popular older games, using "But they don't make a profit on them anymore so it doesn't matter!!" as an excuse is beginning to make less and less sense. Sure, they don't have *insert crappy title here* on Virtual console but oh well, still doesn't make it right to pirate it.

EDIT: Anyways, this isn't a piracy and why it's wrong discussion so enough of that.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Before Virtual Console I would agree, but now that you can buy copies of some of the more popular older games, using "But they don't make a profit on them anymore so it doesn't matter!!" as an excuse is beginning to make less and less sense. Sure, they don't have *insert crappy title here* on Virtual console but oh well, still doesn't make it right to pirate it.
I actually edited one of my previous comments to address that. Idk if you saw it. Anyway, yeah, I agree, as long as I didn't already own a copy of the game legally in some form. That is, if Donkey Kong 94 is available on the eShop but I already have the original Game Boy copy of Donkey Kong 94, then I believe it's fully in my right to make a copy of it.

Of course, this introduces another wrench... What if I originally bought the game on virtual console or eShop? Example, I never owned Metroid II the original cartridge, but I do own the eShop version of it. Now, there's no way to "legally" back it up the way that law you mentioned said. So, what's the legal status of me downloading a ROM off the internet? I already own a copy, but there's no way to legally back it up in a way that's usable.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Of course, this introduces another wrench... What if I originally bought the game on virtual console or eShop? Example, I never owned Metroid II the original cartridge, but I do own the eShop version of it. Now, there's no way to "legally" back it up the way that law you mentioned said. So, what's the legal status of me downloading a ROM off the internet? I already own a copy, but there's no way to legally back it up in a way that's usable.
Still illegal. Seeing how on the Wii you can make backups of Virtual Console games, then we can only assume we'll be able to make backups in a similar fashion on the 3DS. However, this requires your console to be modified and we haven't reached that point yet, so you'll just have to live without it.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Still illegal. Seeing how on the Wii you can make backups of Virtual Console games, then we can only assume we'll be able to make backups in a similar fashion on the 3DS. However, this requires your console to be modified and we haven't reached that point yet, so you'll just have to live without it.
Isn't modifying your Wii technically illegal? And hence, the backups, since it has to be modified? And doesn't that make it an illegal move on Nintendo's part to not provide a way for you to make a legal backup copy?

This is why we can't have nice things!

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Isn't modifying your Wii technically illegal? And hence, the backups, since it has to be modified? And doesn't that make it an illegal move on Nintendo's part to not provide a way for you to make a legal backup copy?

This is why we can't have nice things!
No. Once you buy the console you can do whatever you want with it. Does it void the warranty? Sure does. Is it illegal? Nope. The backups wouldn't be illegal either, just warranties would be broken as you're using the console in a way it wasn't meant to be used. Nintendo doesn't have to do anything involving backups, it all depends on the user and whether or not s/he wants to break their warranty and backup their product.

Reactions: 5 people

Janthran

Solarian
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm. Could be true. I'd rather wait until neimod makes an official announcement or at least something other than "Yeah neimod totally said he decrypted dat firmware"

It's Neimod, it's obviously legit.
I'd rather see a screenshot of the irc chat than just text, though.

[12:30] GOD DAMN I LOVE LITTLE BOYS SO MUCH.

I don't doubt it, but I'd feel more...secure about it if there was like...a confirmation or something.
I was there that day

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Good, now it's my fault the thread went offtopic!

I don't care if you pirate, like I already said.
I just found funny the "I don't want to pirate, I just want to pirate".

Now please, can we stop talking about legality in this topic, and go back to the main subject?
Thank you.

Reactions: 5 people

Chaosruler

Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Ppl wanting to pirate and have homebrew but having no interest in how it is done. This is what makes the ds scene so great. /sarcasm
That's one of the reasons why everyone is relying on one person to get it done. I applaud neimod's intelligence and a handful of ppl here that know enough to at least provide more detail in noob-speak for those of us who have the interest but lack the knowledge to do anything.
Thank you everyone, despite the ingrates, you still carry on. It's exciting to read about what's unfolding even if the common person can't get their haxors and romz yet.

outside the piracy and ROM talk, decrypting the firmware might be very handfull, it might indicate us to newer functions added to the 3DS firmware, like PSx have been for PSP and PS Vita... Sony recently anonuced it on the Vita but it's been done via VHBL... meaning that if by chance neimod is going to post a screen shot of N64 game played, we can assume that there's a N64 VC added to the 3DS rather then N64 games being specially coded to support 3DS... as for me? I am waiting for the screen shoot of a proper music player and maybe 3d video player... even in those small resolutions, 3D movie is 3D movie and it's something I never experienced... 3DS holds a lot more tunnels on it's controls and hardware, I'd like to know what's Ninty's secret projects are

SanoKeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Ppl wanting to pirate and have homebrew but having no interest in how it is done. This is what makes the ds scene so great. /sarcasm
That's one of the reasons why everyone is relying on one person to get it done. I applaud neimod's intelligence and a handful of ppl here that know enough to at least provide more detail in noob-speak for those of us who have the interest but lack the knowledge to do anything.
Thank you everyone, despite the ingrates, you still carry on. It's exciting to read about what's unfolding even if the common person can't get their haxors and romz yet.

outside the piracy and ROM talk, decrypting the firmware might be very handfull, it might indicate us to newer functions added to the 3DS firmware, like PSx have been for PSP and PS Vita... Sony recently anonuced it on the Vita but it's been done via VHBL... meaning that if by chance neimod is going to post a screen shot of N64 game played, we can assume that there's a N64 VC added to the 3DS rather then N64 games being specially coded to support 3DS... as for me? I am waiting for the screen shoot of a proper music player and maybe 3d video player... even in those small resolutions, 3D movie is 3D movie and it's something I never experienced... 3DS holds a lot more tunnels on it's controls and hardware, I'd like to know what's Ninty's secret projects are

Indeed, Im waiting for a good internet browser that supports youtube videos or flash videogames. And Gba, Snes, Nes Emulators...

Reactions: 1 person
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...