Need some help with DSi repair please

Paulkem

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have been working on restoring a DSi that I bought off of FB Marketplace for $10. The repairs included replacing a top screen. I got it torn down, and the screen replaced, including the tricky step of pushing the screen ribbon cable through the hinge. However, I have run into a few snags that I could use some help with.

First, while trying to attach the other ribbon from the top to the mainboard, the ZIF clip came off. It looks like the little "tabs" on the ends may have broken off. Can you get replacements? I will need a high power magnifier to get it back into place.
PXL_20221126_164728402.MP.jpg

PXL_20221126_172951834.MP.jpg

Second, I have an extra clear piece that looks to be a light diffuser but I have no idea where it goes. At this point I am not even sure this part belongs to the DSi. I don't remember it coming out of the device, but rather just appearing in my workspace.

PXL_20221126_164230454.jpg

And lastly, and perhaps most devastating, a socket came off of the mainboard. A wire comes from the battery area and plugs into this socket. It seems that it was just glued on and the glue was weak (?). I think if I can borrow a high power magnifier, I can epoxy it back into place and hopefully get the connections lined up. I don't think any of the connections were actually connected via solder, but I could be wrong.

InkedPXL_20221126_164834861.MP.jpg

I am wondering if I should just cut my losses and move on?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No idea how to reattach the flap for the big connector… maybe someone else can help you there.

The light diffuser should probably be on the power/wifi/charging LEDs.

The power socket is a bit flimsy, also noticed this myself. The solder pads don't look damaged on the picture, so it should be possible to solder it back on – or the wires from the power board directly to (-) and (+).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work