3DS E-shop closing and VC Pokemon Crystal

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

So I have been reading a lot about the closure of the 3DS/Wii U eshops. I have heard that, aparrently for now, credit cards will become unusable, but you'll be able to use e-shop cards.

I plan on downloading Pokemon Crystal soon, and wanted to know if anything like online trading/battling, obtaining the GS ball to get Celebi, etc. will be disrupted because of the closure. Since I own a Japanese 2DS LL with Luma CFW, could I access the US e-shop and purchase Crystal? Or is it better to get the game file elsewhere instead? How can I access the US e-shop with a Japanese 2DS with CFW? Thanks in advance for the help.

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

So I have been reading a lot about the closure of the 3DS/Wii U eshops. I have heard that, aparrently for now, credit cards will become unusable, but you'll be able to use e-shop cards.

I plan on downloading Pokemon Crystal soon, and wanted to know if anything like online trading/battling, obtaining the GS ball to get Celebi, etc. will be disrupted because of the closure. Since I own a Japanese 2DS LL with Luma CFW, could I access the US e-shop and purchase Crystal? Or is it better to get the game file elsewhere instead? How can I access the US e-shop with a Japanese 2DS with CFW? Thanks in advance for the help.
The question is. Have you already went to the eshop with the Japanese region?

AleronIves

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though CFW lets you play out-of-region games, you're still tied to the eShop region of the system. Changing the region of your 3DS generally breaks the eShop entirely, meaning even if you go back to your original region (JP in your case), the eShop still won't work anymore.

AFAIK you'd have to buy a US 3DS to get the US VC titles, although it seems lone_wolf323 is suggesting that if you've never opened the Japanese eShop, you could region change to successfully access the US eShop?

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The "accessed eShop" thing is outdated knowledge. The current wisdom is that eShop breaks due to titles associated with the console. Deleting the eShop account/NNID is unlikely to fix it, and if it does usually only on O3DS.

The workaround is to system transfer the JP 3DS to another JP 3DS. The source console will no longer have anything associated and can thus use US eShop.

Online services (friending, online play) are staying online, including Pokémon Bank.

lilyuwuu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
A game (free or paid) would indeed be an associated title, but the issue is that for some reason many N3DS devices have something associated with them from the factory (like game updates or something... and apparently, JPN swapnote) that seemingly cannot be removed by eShop account deletion.

mario-lucis-caelum

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah my region changed Japanese New LL can't access US eshop. Can I still download updates for games via the eshop or am I screwed? I'm asking cause there was a time where my 3DS downloaded demos when it was on sleep mode.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I haven't purchased the game yet, but was thinking that if I can't get it from the US e-shop, could I somehow use a cia or something instead?

My Wii U also has CFW. If I were to go to the e-shop on the Wii U, and if I am able to get gameboy games on there as well, could I send Pokemon Crystal to my 2DS LL from the Wii U?

Last edited by neko_koneko,

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You could extract the rom file from the Wii U game and inject it as a 3DS VC title, but you can't directly run Wii U VC on 3DS for the same reason you can't run Wii U games on 3DS.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could I somehow use a cia or something instead?
Yes, since you have CFW you can install that cia file with FBI, all you have to do is find said file (don't ask here as it's against the rules).
If I were to go to the e-shop on the Wii U, and if I am able to get gameboy games on there as well, could I send Pokemon Crystal to my 2DS LL from the Wii U?
Nope, it doesn't work that way.

neko_koneko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I see. So the cia file will function just like the e-shop game? I mean, am I able to trade and battle, and will the GS ball Celebi event work as well?

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. I see. So the cia file will function just like the e-shop game?
Yes, the cia file of the game is the same as the eShop download file, there's no difference between them.
I mean, am I able to trade and battle, and will the GS ball Celebi event work as well?
Yes, if you're 3DS can play online, and if trading/battling is allowed on those games. Can't recall if they ever did a Celebi event for the Crystal VC release, but the rule of thumb is after the event ends there's no way to get the Pokémon without other means (hacking).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaQqCfuxKoE