Gaming Misc Virtual Console New 3DS XL Pokémon Crystal save is apparently corrupted.

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have recently repaired most of my New 3DS XL components as it has a lot of issues fortunately I could still use the same SD Card. I had to replace the motherboard and I was worried that I would lose my save file in Pokémon Crystal. Fortunately I did not as apparently my SD Card apparently is picking it up and saying the file is corrupted. I've seen things apparently recovering the save of my game. But, I'm not quite sure what to do as I do think it's in the SD Card as there's strings of numbers of files with .sav on them. So, I'm expecting one of them is the Pokémon Crystal save but, it's hard to tell since everything seems encrypted with random strings of files with letters and numbers. I can provide screenshots if needed as I am really confused by this.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just back up the save with Checkpoint and then restore it again. You wouldn't think that would do anything, but that should be enough.

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just back up the save with Checkpoint and then restore it again. You wouldn't think that would do anything, but that should be enough.
Okay, I'll try doing that. I just have to wait on a replacement part for my home button. Since I can't do the setup to get Checkpoint.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I did that and the save file isn't appearing when I launch Pokemon Crystal.
This is unclear. Do you mean Pokemon Crystal is only prompting you to start a new game? What, exactly, did you do?

You should probably start by making sure that your data was in fact backed up correctly. You should be able to copy the data from your Checkpoint backup to your PC and open it with pkhex to see if all your Pokemon are there. (You might need to convert the data first.)

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pokémon Crystal is only promoting me with Start a new game.

• sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/00040000/00172800/data/00000001.sav
I know this is Pokémon Crystal's location for the sav data.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It gives me an error
Usually when asking for help about things like this it tends to be much more useful to say what specific error you are getting rather than just saying "it gives me an error".

Also, like I said, you will probably have to convert the save before you can use it with pkhex. Did you try looking for a converter? A little Googling turned up https://bluemoonfalls.com/pages/tools/gsc-save-converter .[/i]

Reactions: rantex92

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually when asking for help about things like this it tends to be much more useful to say what specific error you are getting rather than just saying "it gives me an error".

Also, like I said, you will probably have to convert the save before you can use it with pkhex. Did you try looking for a converter? A little Googling turned up https://bluemoonfalls.com/pages/tools/gsc-save-converter .[/i]
This is the Error I get and I did try a converter but, still same error.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-30 233206.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-30 233206.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 31

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm getting the same error. I am confused what could be going wrong.
there could be just one other explanation the sav and the backup are corrupted this probably happend while creating those with checkpoint

i had the exact same issue with crystal and i had to make a new game

in the end i switched to a non official vc version of crystal (with celebi mod)

Donglo

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there could be just one other explanation the sav and the backup are corrupted this probably happend while creating those with checkpoint

i had the exact same issue with crystal and i had to make a new game

in the end i switched to a non official vc version of crystal (with celebi mod)
Yeah, when I try to read the sav with Note it just says null. So, I'm assuming the checkpoint can't restore it at all.

But, there's code and information when I go to the directory with
sdmc:/Nintendo 3DS/<ID0>/<ID1>/title/00040000/00172800/data/00000001.sav

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, when I try to read the sav with Note it just says null. So, I'm assuming the checkpoint can't restore it at all.

that data is encrypted and is useless to you as it is. You need to decrypt that with checkpoint or you cannot move that data to a emulator or save editor.

Reactions: rantex92

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany

you could try with hxd and fix the corrupted parts with parts from a new save file but this is rly not worth the hussle even if pkhex load the frankensteined sav most if not all your pokemon will be corrupted

sad to say but u will need to start a new game

and for the future try the non official vc or build youre own if you explicit want the celebi event there are hacked roms out there

with those i never had any issues again with corrupted save files

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How big is the file?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "Note", but a hex editor like xvi32 would be more informative.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto