Hacking 3DS Bricking Rumor

frogboy

lacking both style and grace
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 003 brick involves firmware modding, flash carts don't firmware mod. Give it up already.
This. Plus the fact that the region-change brick wasn't caused at Nintendo's command. It was part of the system. AFAIK, the only way for Nintendo to view activity from the 3DS is through the activity log.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Correct. We have not seen anybody with a bricked machine or online services shut off on the DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, or 3DS.

As for which flash cart to choose...
http://gbatemp.net/t...rt-should-i-get
But see that's not correct. We don't KNOW that Nintendo will never be able to brick a 3DS. We just know that they haven't done so yet.
The 003 brick involves firmware modding, flash carts don't firmware mod. Give it up already.
Well it had nothing to do with firmware (seeing as the Wii doesn't have even have firmware), but I don't see why that matters.
This. Plus the fact that the region-change brick wasn't caused at Nintendo's command. It was part of the system. AFAIK, the only way for Nintendo to view activity from the 3DS is through the activity log.
Again, how is this related? The service agreement says that an update could brick it, not that it would be done remotely.

Understand that I'm not saying Nintendo has bricked a 3DS from a flashcart. I'm just pointing out that it's wrong to assume it won't ever happen.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
And it's wrong to assume that if you walk outside you 100% absolutely will not suddenly be hit by a falling plane... but people don't go around selling falling plane insurance.

Nobody has ever had their 3/DS/i system bricked or had wifi services blocked for using a flash cart, and as long as that's true I will continue to tell it to people.

As the first post shows Nintendo's been saying it for the past couple of devices... and as we've seen, it appears to eb a bluff. As long as there's no firmware modification, there's no bricking.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
And it's wrong to assume that if you walk outside you 100% absolutely will not suddenly be hit by a falling plane... but people don't go around selling falling plane insurance.

Nobody has ever had their 3/DS/i system bricked or had wifi services blocked for using a flash cart, and as long as that's true I will continue to tell it to people.

As the first post shows Nintendo's been saying it for the past couple of devices... and as we've seen, it appears to eb a bluff. As long as there's no firmware modification, there's no bricking.
Absolutely tell people that Nintendo has never bricked a DS/DSi/3DS, just don't say it will never happen. The Wii community said the same thing until 4.2. There were years of no bricks from Nintendo, so we thought that it would never happen.

In short, tell people what you know to be true, but don't present assumptions (no matter how likely they are) as fact.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo bricked consoles with modified firmware, this is about something without firmware modification.

It's kinda' like surgery versus medication in that sense.
Again, there was no "firmware" modification, but I don't see how that makes a difference. You still can't say for certain what Nintendo will and won't do.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Again, there was no "firmware" modification
Wait, then when does the 003 error happen?

Unless you're just being pedantic about the word firmware versus operating system software or flash ROM...
Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. The System Menu is no more firmware than the Mii Channel.

Anyway, my point is that they can brick consoles and get away with it.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, it's just a pet peeve of mine. The System Menu is no more firmware than the Mii Channel.
When a pet peeve gets in the way of communication, it might be time to re-think it. If I wasn't such a big poster here I likely wouldn't have understood that you were just being pedantic about the phrasing.

Anyway, my point is that they can brick consoles and get away with it.
As other people have stated, it's not just the Wii that does that sort of thing, many devices will lock up when they find they've been tampered with and the users need to send it back to the company who ships it fixed with the latest firmware (it's just usually those checks are removed in the modding process so they don't pose an issue).

However, that's not this situation. Flash carts do not modify the system software. If they did, then it would be a valid concern. It's a valid concern in the PSP section, I'm adamant about telling users to be careful what firmware they install on which model and to not mess with flash0 themselves...

But I don't feel it's a valid concern here because there's no system software modification. It's just external devices being used. As stated in the first page, if an external device is mis-detected and the 3DS fucks itself up, that's an issue because it's likely to happen (hell, one of my friends just today was talking with me about a contact issue between her old DS and pokemon black causing it to freeze) in situations where nothing shady is going on...

But in situations where the internal firmware's checksums (of sorts) are misread, there's two things going on.
1 - The system IS being exploited (not a false positive).
2 - There's hardware damage, in which case the machine needs to be repaired/replaced by the company anyways.

The main concern with legality is third-party accessories. That includes flash carts. That does not include firmware mods. I've never seen anybody here bitching to Sony about a bricked 3000 (from trying CFW).

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
When a pet peeve gets in the way of communication, it might be time to re-think it. If I wasn't such a big poster here I likely wouldn't have understood that you were just being pedantic about the phrasing.
Well I had explained in a previous post that the System Menu wasn't firmware, so I thought you understood what I meant. Sorry for not being clear.

However, that's not this situation. Flash carts do not modify the system software. If they did, then it would be a valid concern. It's a valid concern in the PSP section, I'm adamant about telling users to be careful what firmware they install on which model and to not mess with flash0 themselves...

But I don't feel it's a valid concern here because there's no system software modification. It's just external devices being used. As stated in the first page, if an external device is mis-detected and the 3DS fucks itself up, that's an issue because it's likely to happen (hell, one of my friends just today was talking with me about a contact issue between her old DS and pokemon black causing it to freeze) in situations where nothing shady is going on...

But in situations where the internal firmware's checksums (of sorts) are misread, there's two things going on.
1 - The system IS being exploited (not a false positive).
2 - There's hardware damage, in which case the machine needs to be repaired/replaced by the company anyways.

The main concern with legality is third-party accessories. That includes flash carts. That does not include firmware mods. I've never seen anybody here bitching to Sony about a bricked 3000 (from trying CFW).
I don't understand why bypassing the security checks is so different from installing software from another region.

Anyway, none of this is related to my main point. Put away your crystal ball and stop acting like you know what will happen in the future. :P

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Seriously, i had no problems hacking my wii, or using flashcards on my regular DS, But i have to this day yet to use the flashcard in my 3DS.

Seems there is no harm in doing it.. yet i dont have the nerve to take the chance.

Haven't touched my 3DS in months, even though i still have to finish Ocarina of Time. Was so much more fun to just cram the flashcard with games and play whatever i feel like at a moments notice.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually, DS systems have been bricked by flash carts before. Specifically, cheap and poorly made R4 clones that blew out fuses (and could cause other hardware damage). I don't know if there have been any 3DS compatible flash carts that have done that though. In other words, stick with name brand, non-clone cards to be safe (either the DSTwo, or an official Acekard are good).

alphamule

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
AKA the crappy, inaccurate circuit-printing bug? :rolleyes:

A bit like slipping a screw driver or metal shavings in there when the system is running. Fun times there!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Except all of reddit 4chan and YouTube reviewers