Hacking 3DS Bricking Rumor

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I forgot about all the inept in the world. I'll rephrase to people who bother to actually read things. I know we all start as noobs, but you can choose to learn or you can choose to stay one.

Luigi728

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, if I buy a DSTWO, put it in my 3DS and it pops up as some legit game, there is no way this will be recognized as a flashcart?

I kinda figured this, I mean, you're not actually modifying the handheld itself, the 3DS just boots it thinking it's a game and for the rest it just runs in DS(i) mode.

...But still, I'm not sure. I'd love to run homebrew and use the emulators (DOS Emulator on the go, Hell Yeah!), but is it absolutely safe?

I'm sorry for asking this, but I'd just like to be sure.
I really want to enjoy the homebrew, but also the rest of my 3DS. Sitting in my room as functional as a brick, isn't that much fun.

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
So, if I buy a DSTWO, put it in my 3DS and it pops up as some legit game, there is no way this will be recognized as a flashcart?

I kinda figured this, I mean, you're not actually modifying the handheld itself, the 3DS just boots it thinking it's a game and for the rest it just runs in DS(i) mode.

...But still, I'm not sure. I'd love to run homebrew and use the emulators (DOS Emulator on the go, Hell Yeah!), but is it absolutely safe?

I'm sorry for asking this, but I'd just like to be sure.
I really want to enjoy the homebrew, but also the rest of my 3DS. Sitting in my room as functional as a brick, isn't that much fun.
There has not been a single case of bricking in JP, EU, or US.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The title really should be changed. It's not a rumor, Nintendo said they would/could do it. It seems most likely that they were bluffing, but a bluff is not the same as a rumor.
The rumor was that there have been brickings, and people still think that there have been.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
The title really should be changed. It's not a rumor, Nintendo said they would/could do it. It seems most likely that they were bluffing, but a bluff is not the same as a rumor.
The rumor was that there have been brickings, and people still think that there have been.
Then change "could be" to "has been" in the first sentence.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
People still think the 3DS could be bricked by them using flash carts (as in, in their future), so while I won't change the first post, I will edit the wording of some parts in the second to reflect how long the 3DS has been out and stick some things in past-tense.

EDIT: Actually it looks like I already did after the release, and the formatting in the first two posts is still fucked up from the forum software move and I don't want to edit the whole thing by hand. I'll repeat again, what you "found" in your thread is nothing new, as you can see this type of move was covered months ago. It changes nothing.

razorrebel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, to be absolutely sure:

Buying a PROPER flash cartridge for 3DS WILL NOT

a) Brick the system
OR
b) Shut off online services (i.e. WFC Mario Kart 7)

If both are true, then please let me know...
I just wanna be sure cuz my 3DS is a virgin and I dont want it to get fucked up (haha a pun)

If everythings gravy with the flashcarts and 3DS, then please:

Tell me the best flashcart to use (best features, etc) on my 3DS to make it poppin' and pimpin' with cheats and such.

Or pass me a link that answers my plea.

I'm tired of missing out on my old emulators and stuff, please I wanna get back into the hacking biz

Thanks in advance~

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Correct. We have not seen anybody with a bricked machine or online services shut off on the DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, or 3DS.

As for which flash cart to choose...
http://gbatemp.net/t...rt-should-i-get
But see that's not correct. We don't KNOW that Nintendo will never be able to brick a 3DS. We just know that they haven't done so yet.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Correct. We have not seen anybody with a bricked machine or online services shut off on the DS, DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, or 3DS.

But see that's not correct. We don't KNOW that Nintendo will never be able to brick a 3DS. We just know that they haven't done so yet.
Of course they can; it's just that they aren't obligated to brick anybodie's 3ds (it's theirs; nintendo has no right to do anything to it). Nintendo would get sued by a bunch of people.

Reactions: 2 people

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Of course they can; it's just that they aren't obligated to brick anybodie's 3ds (it's theirs; nintendo has no right to do anything to it). Nintendo would get sued by a bunch of people.
Lol, so are we just ignoring the thousands of the 003 bricks?

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Lol, so are we just ignoring the thousands of the 003 bricks?
Sorry, took time to research about the 003 error bricks (it'd help if you included wii, since '3ds 003 bricks' didn't help me at all...). It's about the Wii, no wonder I was unaware about it. lol

So, apparently, Korean Wii's that installed another region's OS (via hacking, I assume) that is higher than 4.2, gets bricked? This was caused by a mismatch due to a software modification to the Wii; point being, nobody has proof that this was done on purpose by Nintendo solely to brick. The mismatch was caused by the hack, making the owner (who modded the wii) responsible.

In the case of flashcarts on 3ds, there's no alteration in software, meaning there can't be any mismatch in important system files. The only way a brick can result on a 3ds, due to flashcarts, would be a check that would brick the 3ds if a flashcart has been run. On this case, Nintendo is responsible, since it was intended to brick.

Sorry, I'm really no Wii/tech geek, so I'm unsure about the terminology used; if there's a mistake in the cause of the 003 error or anything else, I apologize in advance. I'd be grateful if somebody could explain it easier to me (in non-techy terms).

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, took time to research about the 003 error bricks (it'd help if you included wii, since '3ds 003 bricks' didn't help me at all...). It's about the Wii, no wonder I was unaware about it. lol

So, apparently, Korean Wii's that installed another region's OS (via hacking, I assume) that is higher than 4.2, gets bricked? This was caused by a mismatch due to a software modification to the Wii; point being, nobody has proof that this was done on purpose by Nintendo solely to brick. The mismatch was caused by the hack, making the owner (who modded the wii) responsible.

In the case of flashcarts on 3ds, there's no alteration in software, meaning there can't be any mismatch in important system files. The only way a brick can result on a 3ds, due to flashcarts, would be a check that would brick the 3ds if a flashcart has been run. On this case, Nintendo is responsible, since it was intended to brick.

Sorry, I'm really no Wii/tech geek, so I'm unsure about the terminology used; if there's a mistake in the cause of the 003 error or anything else, I apologize in advance. I'd be grateful if somebody could explain it easier to me (in non-techy terms).
Actually it was intentional. As of 4.2, the System Menu checks for the only difference between Korean and non-Korean Wii's, which is dubbed the Korean Wii. If the test passes, it gives a 003 error. If it fails and returns an error, then there is no brick. Everything past 4.1 was designed to block homebrew and brick region changed Korean Wii's.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually it was intentional. As of 4.2, the System Menu checks for the only difference between Korean and non-Korean Wii's, which is dubbed the Korean Wii. If the test passes, it gives a 003 error. If it fails and returns an error, then there is no brick. Everything past 4.1 was designed to block homebrew and brick region changed Korean Wii's.
Assuming you are correct (which I believe you do, at least more than I believe on my limited knowledge over this), I wonder why it's only the Korean Wii's. Perhaps they are "beta brickers" and Koreans are guinea pigs to test the betas, but there's already been some system updates beyond 4.2. The only reason why Nintendo wouldn't implement it onto other region Wii's would probably be due to a difference in law system: it may be legal to brick modded wii's in Korea.

Wild guess, I know, but does anybody else have a better guess than this?

Other than that, your argument over the 003 error brick is solid, but it still doesn't explain why it's only limited within Korean Wii's.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Assuming you are correct (which I believe you do, at least more than I believe on my limited knowledge over this), I wonder why it's only the Korean Wii's. Perhaps they are "beta brickers" and Koreans are guinea pigs to test the betas, but there's already been some system updates beyond 4.2. The only reason why Nintendo wouldn't implement it onto other region Wii's would probably be due to a difference in law system: it may be legal to brick modded wii's in Korea.

Wild guess, I know, but does anybody else have a better guess than this?

Other than that, your argument over the 003 error brick is solid, but it still doesn't explain why it's only limited within Korean Wii's.
Korean Wii's are cheaper because they don't have GC support (although they do have the hardware for it) and not many games get released there. As a result, it's common for people to buy Korean Wii's, region change them (which allows playing GC games and any titles from that region), and sell them as Wii's from other regions. You can't blame Nintendo for not liking that, as people are making up for the money they lost.

Anyway, there is no 100% way to check if a USA/JAP/PAL Wii has been region changed. They can check if it was originally a Korean Wii because of the "Korean Key" (hey, that rhymes :) ).

D

Deleted-236924

Well Jam with the Band and Daigasso! Band Brothers DX blocked people that were using a pirated rom.

razorrebel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Rydian

Thank you!
Now I will be able to play that DQMJ2 my friends are playing...

Now if only there was a way to use those 3DS rom files we've been so happily dumping...

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

The 003 brick involves firmware modding, flash carts don't firmware mod. Give it up already.

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)