Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
from what I can see,

CAN they brick your 3DS if they find you using it with unauthorized code... Yes
ARE they allowed to install updates on your 3DS without your consent... Yes (as per the licence agreement)
COULD they reep more profits from bricking, debatable.
WOULD they brick a 3DS, Doubt it. They may do a Microsoft (Lifetime ban of the unit online) but killing the whole unit na, not even Sony or Microsoft have had the brass balls to kill the whole machine.
So does Microsoft or Dell have the right to remotely brick your PC for using torrents?

I don't know why people think video game systems are special. They're computers too, they just with a locked OS.

When I connect to my wifi connection the other day the 3ds ask me if I want to test the connection I did, then it start downloading the lastest update? without user input. I thought nintendo were not allow to force updates on people?
Check your settings. Just like Windows will want to turn automatic updates on by default for safety reasons, Nintendo wants them on by default as well.

That said, even though the 3DS will download the update, you can always say "no" to not apply it (unless the 3DS is set to do it automatically as well).

Reactions: Thorhian

Chaossaturn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Check your settings. Just like Windows will want to turn automatic updates on by default for safety reasons, Nintendo wants them on by default as well.

That said, even though the 3DS will download the update, you can always say "no" to not apply it (unless the 3DS is set to do it automatically as well).

I found settings in the SpotPass section of Internet settings, to turn off "Automatic Software Downloads" and "Sending of System Information", I don't know if this will stop it from automatically updating when it's connected to wi-fi or not.

Kouen Hasuki

Coffee Addict
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So does Microsoft or Dell have the right to remotely brick your PC for using torrents?

I don't know why people think video game systems are special. They're computers too, they just with a locked OS.

Actually if ya read the ELUA's they have more power than people think, they have the ability too and in the ELUA most people blindly agree too they state they can do it if they want, I.E. MS actually in the ELUA stated they can remove software from your computer if they want too.

its not that im saying they will do anything in fact I highly doubt it, however the ELUA which is a legal agreement (flimsy one at that mind you) that people agree too gives them more power than people think.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Actually if ya read the ELUA's they have more power than people think, they have the ability too and in the ELUA most people blindly agree too they state they can do it if they want, I.E. MS actually in the ELUA stated they can remove software from your computer if they want too.

its not that im saying they will do anything in fact I highly doubt it, however the ELUA which is a legal agreement (flimsy one at that mind you) that people agree too gives them more power than people think.
An EULA is not above the law. An agreement to do something illegal is not a legal agreement.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/docs.jsp
Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo 3DS XL -> System User Agreements (EULA)
Notice that they point out that the EULA can be changed at any time without prior notice. This goes along with the EULA being a "cover my ass" document. Things like "we may stop 3DS online services at any time" seem "duh" to the average user, but Nintendo feels the need to point them out just in case somebody tries to sue claiming they weren't aware of it, the EULA makes them aware of it.

Also read the second post in this thread for examples of things that Nintendo likes to claim in EULAs (that the Wii might update automatically without your consent, that the 3DS will stop working if you use any unauthorized third-party hardware in it) that just don't happen, because Nintendo's not stupid enough to actually try it. It's there just in case some shit goes wrong.

And before any mention of Microsoft or Sony's consoles, they just ban from online, which is a service (not a good) they run with their money and servers, and they have full right (legal and moral) to ban anybody at any time they want.

Reactions: Thorhian

joejoejoey

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
An EULA is not above the law. An agreement to do something illegal is not a legal agreement.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/info/en_na/docs.jsp
Nintendo 3DS/Nintendo 3DS XL -> System User Agreements (EULA)
Notice that they point out that the EULA can be changed at any time without prior notice. This goes along with the EULA being a "cover my ass" document. Things like "we may stop 3DS online services at any time" seem "duh" to the average user, but Nintendo feels the need to point them out just in case somebody tries to sue claiming they weren't aware of it, the EULA makes them aware of it.

Also read the second post in this thread for examples of things that Nintendo likes to claim in EULAs (that the Wii might update automatically without your consent, that the 3DS will stop working if you use any unauthorized third-party hardware in it) that just don't happen, because Nintendo's not stupid enough to actually try it. It's there just in case some shit goes wrong.

And before any mention of Microsoft or Sony's consoles, they just ban from online, which is a service (not a good) they run with their money and servers, and they have full right (legal and moral) to ban anybody at any time they want.

Translates to: Nintendo don't have the balls.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
There's a difference between "having balls", and "being stupid". "Having balls" is grabbing a bull by the horns when you've had the training for it. "Being stupid" is grabbing live power lines, ignoring the warning signs.

Nintendo can no more brick your 3DS for using a flash cart than Microsoft or Dell or whoever can brick your PC for installing uTorrent.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
but bricking for having a korean cryptographic key in addition to the eur/us/jap ones is somehow different?
because they got away with that

D

Deleted-188346

Let me ask the all important question.
Has a single 3DS been confirmed to have been bricked?
If not, then Nintendo aren't bricking anything.

I'm pretty sure that if somebody had their 3DS bricked by a 3rd party accessory or flashcard, then we, and many others, would already know about it.

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
no I mean the wii korean key brick
originally the wii had only keys for the three original regions
the korean wiis then included an additional key for this new region

this key can be present in wiis with other region firmwares
because it at one point (not necessarily originally) had a korean firmware
afaik it can even be un/installed independently
it did nothing it simply was a file sitting there, unused

but at some point nintendo modified the firmware of the 3 original region to try to encrypt something with this new key
as long as this fails (normally because the key is not present) the boot sequence continues
but if it succeeds an error message is printed instead, essentially bricking the wii

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a Wii so I'm not familiar with that kind of stuff, but to me that seems like you're bricking yourself, like messing with the windows kernel or something? I mean the circumstances for it to happen do require replacement of core system files with ones from another region, right? Flash carts don't do that, they don't modify the system software at all.

Also it looks to me like it's some sort of debug thing they simply never bothered to fix (since it won't happen to legit users), opposed to the purposeful blocking of flash carts, which gives a user-readable message (and even refers to the documentation which says not to use unauthorized third-party hardware).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wokey d pronouns when woku walks in

"CALL ME THEY SLASH THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM"
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :tpi::rofl2::rofl2: Right on point :rofl2::rofl2::tpi:
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    politics forum is def a place that exists
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: lol