Hardware 3DS automatically goes left (most of the times)

Is this fixable?

• Total voters

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I meant that I should test pushing the D-pad etc. :) I just did that though, and when I push the D-pad to the left (to pretend that it's stuck in that position) and use the analog to go to the right, I only go one step, not like in your video.
So I would guess that it's the analog slider that is faulty.
Also, I looked at your pictures, and I think it looks like the black piece of plastic underneath isn't centered... But I don't know how it should look (never opened mine).
Actually if you looked at the video he pressed right on the circle pad repeatedly.

SolidSnake95

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This same shit happens on the PSP. the only difference is that it moves down-right slowly.

I wonder why these handhelds have that kind of problem..

tronic307

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't look like something hard to fix, more like hard to nail down the cause of. The d-pad couldn't change the direction, but the circle pad could, but you disconnected that and it still happens, correct? You could send it in to Nintendo for like $60-$100, but I think you'd make out better if you got a refurbished 3DS XL from the Nintendo Online Store for $169.99, transfer your data, then sell the bad one for parts on eBay.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
With the upcoming Pokémon X and Y and also the new Phoenix Wright: Dual Destiny game.... I want to fix this little problem. I'm not worrying so much about warranty. It's already long gone. As in, I bought the console on launch date and the warranty has expired.

My 3DS is the US model.

The problem with my 3DS isn't so complicated to understand. Sometimes it goes crazy and suddenly decides to go left (automatically), and i can't do anything with the dpad aside from going up or down. I can go left or right and up or down with the analog. However, when I take my hand off it, it will start to go left automatically again....

This is due to my little cousin grabbing the poor console and hammering down the buttons until he's satisfied. He somehow managed to break it..... I opened the console up to see if i could find the problem myself. Nothing looked out of the ordinary. I just grabbed the closest sharpie marker and wrote an X and O on the analog stick. Everything else is fine. I checked. Neither screens are broken. The A, B, X, Y, Start, Select, Home, and Power buttons work a-ok. And the volume and Wi-Fi slider doesn't seem to have a problem. It's just the analog or the dpad.

Some symptoms:
  • When I blow the cartridge slot (when everything seems normal), the problem occurs.
  • When I insert a game in the cartage slot.
  • When I play a game, it starts doing it automatically.
  • When I leave it there, it starts doing it again.
  • It just does something by itself.
  • When I use the DPAD (but yeah, this one happens more often)
  • When I use the analog

Here's the video of the problem:

And here are the images of my gutted 3DS:

http://imgur.com/a/Hxgvg

Try cleaning the dpad contacts on the board (and the buttons themselves) with rubbing alcohol?
You never know, it might help.
Otherwise you would probably have to replace the button on the board itself, if you can find a matching part all it should take is some quick soldering.

d4rk_l1gh7

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try cleaning the dpad contacts on the board (and the buttons themselves) with rubbing alcohol?
Otherwise you would probably have to replace the button on the board itself, if you can find a matching part all it should take is some quick soldering.

I'll try the rubbing alcohol thing. If that doesn't work.... the chances of me buying a new motherboard and soldering a few things to it..... are slim. too risky (and it might not be cost-effective at all). I know nothing about soldering, electronic components, and hardmodding. But i might try to mingle with the dpad's skeleton and remove the sticker and see if i can do something about it.... But, will it fix the problem? I don't know, it might screw it up even more.

Doesn't look like something hard to fix, more like hard to nail down the cause of. The d-pad couldn't change the direction, but the circle pad could, but you disconnected that and it still happens, correct? You could send it in to Nintendo for like $60-$100, but I think you'd make out better if you got a refurbished 3DS XL from the Nintendo Online Store for $169.99, transfer your data, then sell the bad one for parts on eBay.

If everything else fails, I'll do exactly that. I have no online data on this console. So no need to transfer. It was always used offline.

Also.... i updated the original post.

Dynamodz

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have had this problem in my hand several times, one of them i have never have been able to solve but also check your touchscreen. If there is a deep scratch or puncture this can cause the similar problem u have now.
BTW, i know this post is a bit late but if it's lying in a corner it wont hurt to test. Just disconnect the touchscreen connector.

chairsgotoschool

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

the nintendo store sells xl's refurbished for 135 and the special edition ones for 150. Check for some deals though, just at the end of august I got a mario and luigi xl with mario party for 150 free shipping.

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Bump because I have the same problem and it seems I found the answer, is something like this:

The d-pad buttons are located on the pcb on the inside of your 3ds. you can see 4 little aluminum caps with a thin layer of plastic on top of the four caps. Now try to slowly remove the thin layer of plastic on the side of the d-pad button that is stuck. (you see the names of the side next to the button you need to reveal. left-right-up-down) now that done, lift that side up so the cap comes up that sticks on the plastic and you see a circle with a + in the middle. now look for a black spot on the cap and on that circle on the PCB. The black spot is caused by an electric shock, and causes a smut between the cap and the pcb. What further causes your d-pad button to be stuck to push to the left,right,up or down even without touching the button. Just scratch that spot away from both pieces till it is completely gone, and put everything back on place. Close your 3DS put everything in , put it on, and there you have it , it is repaired, you can now play your games again, without the button stuck.

I tried once right now and the problem was not solved, I found a brownish mark under the aluminium cap and erased it only with a needle, will try now with some type of cleaner or something.

Any advice?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You have to combine the solutions here - if the stick is not calibrated correctly, it will send the wrong inputs and you won't calibrate it correctly if it's not connected right or if the ribbon isn't clean.
  1. Disconnect the analog stick
  2. Clean the ribbon and the connector
  3. Clean the analog stick module itself if necessary
  4. Re-connect it to the system
  5. Calibrate the stick
  6. Re-try
That, and stop blowing at the thing - you're introducing moisture to the circuitry.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States

The control stick is connected via a ribbon cable. So no you don't need to solder anything to replace it not even with the d-pad.

The metal bubble things covering the d-pad motherboard contacts is replaceable (they are held on with adhesive though. So I don't know how difficult it will be to remove them). But best of luck finding that part as it's one of the more rare parts to look for. I did find this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pastilles-t...92?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item463d977760

That's to an 3DS XL though. :)

As for the 3DS analog stick. They are peppered all over ebay. It shouldn't be hard to find one. Try that first. You don't have to lift up the motherboard to replace it either so it should be an easy fix.

EDIT: Your in luck. If you don't have XL. Then the same seller has the d-pad electro buttons for that too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pastilles-t...57?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item43de950c25

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You have to combine the solutions here - if the stick is not calibrated correctly, it will send the wrong inputs and you won't calibrate it correctly if it's not connected right or if the ribbon isn't clean.
  1. Disconnect the analog stick
  2. Clean the ribbon and the connector
  3. Clean the analog stick module itself if necessary
  4. Re-connect it to the system
  5. Calibrate the stick
  6. Re-try
That, and stop blowing at the thing - you're introducing moisture to the circuitry.

The control stick is connected via a ribbon cable. So no you don't need to solder anything to replace it not even with the d-pad.

The metal bubble things covering the d-pad motherboard contacts is replaceable (they are held on with adhesive though. So I don't know how difficult it will be to remove them). But best of luck finding that part as it's one of the more rare parts to look for. I did find this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pastilles-t...92?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item463d977760

That's to an 3DS XL though. :)

As for the 3DS analog stick. They are peppered all over ebay. It shouldn't be hard to find one. Try that first. You don't have to lift up the motherboard to replace it either so it should be an easy fix.

EDIT: Your in luck. If you don't have XL. Then the same seller has the d-pad electro buttons for that too:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pastilles-t...57?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_71&hash=item43de950c25

Well the problem isn't the circle pad, disconnected it and power on the console leaves it as the same, the problem is the D-pad itself.

I can confirm that because when I play Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX you can only go down through the songs using the D-pad, not the circle pad, and it goes down automatically, so is the D-pad the problem, the down button gets stuck.

Already cleaned that annoying button with the method I posted above, and still goes down, cleaned with alcohol and a tiny piece of cotton atached to a needle.

Last edited by DSoryu,

Aved

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'll try the rubbing alcohol thing. If that doesn't work.... the chances of me buying a new motherboard and soldering a few things to it..... are slim. too risky (and it might not be cost-effective at all). I know nothing about soldering, electronic components, and hardmodding. But i might try to mingle with the dpad's skeleton and remove the sticker and see if i can do something about it.... But, will it fix the problem? I don't know, it might screw it up even more.

If everything else fails, I'll do exactly that. I have no online data on this console. So no need to transfer. It was always used offline.

Also.... i updated the original post.
Did you fixed it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    Veho @ Veho: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Y23PPkftXIY