Gaming 3DS and Switch: Can They Live Together?

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I would argue otherwise.
You can have a failure of an education despite passing all your exams.

That's such a strange use of the English language that I don't even know how to begin to debate. I can't think of any situation where somebody would legitimately say that somebody had a "failure of an education" after passing all their exams and getting the qualification they originally set out to achieve.

Going further if we are talking numbers then what counts as a success?

Indeed it's subjective; but it's quantifiable... you can argue that 5 million, 10 million, 20 million units is a success or failure, and you can back that up with comparisons to how the numbers compare to other systems. Which is a far more reasonable argument than saying a system is a failure because you personally don't like the games on it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That's such a strange use of the English language that I don't even know how to begin to debate. I can't think of any situation where somebody would legitimately say that somebody had a "failure of an education" after passing all their exams and getting the qualification they originally set out to achieve.

Have you never met the "I has degree, corner office and 100 grand a year please" types? I usually hear that phrase around the same time said same are floundering a bit and having to learn what some considered the basics, and have done so now for all the big professions and some of the smaller or possibly less skilled things where someone might have been sent for training.

To that end I am happy to continue categorising things as failures for reasons of my personal preferences.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
I think I get what you're trying to say. It's a bit wordy and I'm sure you'd find a way to fit the phrase "failure of an education" in amongst all that lot; but I imagine it'd be the only time I ever heard it used in that context in my life.

This is a silly argument, really. If you want to have to keep clarifying yourself because you're using a non-standard interpretation of a word, be my guest. I clearly had too much time on my hands today...

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you want to have to keep clarifying yourself because you're using a non-standard interpretation of a word, be my guest.
Were it something I could see as being non standard then yeah I would probably change (for all else that might be said I do like my words to be able to be parsed), however I still maintain it is within standard usage.

The 3DS still prints money.
/thread
But if the 3ds prints Friday night beer money vs the DS' mansion and a range of cars money the question surely becomes is it worth the effort, and does it pull focus from something better (or that could be better).

Trophies
XP
Country
France
They already focus on the Switch. Implying that the 3DS prevents the Switch from reaching its highest potential is absurd IMO. See the sales of DQXI in Japan, and the sales of Pokémon SM last year.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The definitions of failure and what a good game is that I am reading here are so unequivocally subjective and personal that I can't stop laughing at their use as a generalisation.

- Honest opinion
It seems like someone is a devout believer that Alternative Facts are real.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't see how the quality of a video game could be a "fact". There are popular opinions, but also unpopular opinions, that's all.
And so, the quality and success of a game, or a game system, can be quantified objectively only after an analysis following strict criteria.
One could say, e.g., that a game system is "successful" if it makes the expected profits or surpasses them.
That would be a strict criteria, and you can compare numbers objectively.

One could say, e.g., that a game is "successful" again following the same criteria.
One could say also, that a game has high "quality" after making a survey over a big sample of players.
Each of their opinions is subjective, but given the sample is big and unbiased, the results of the statistic analysis become objective.

If you define "success" and "quality" based only on your own belief and preferences and nothing else, well... that is not a "fact", that is just an opinion, and anybody can end up in living in a bubble if they trust their own beliefs too much and avoid looking outside and being objective.

Last edited by sarkwalvein,
Reactions: Pleng

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If a console is making money then its a sucesseful console/game if the console or game lost money or brooke even(nntendo said the wiiu brooke even so they didnt lost money atleast) then its a failure, you can say something that made a huyge profit that it was a failure becuase it made money so it wasnt a failure it did what it was suposed to do make money and money is all that matters in the end for companys.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
To that end I am happy to continue categorising things as failures for reasons of my personal preferences.
50+ million hardware sales is not a failure by any standard. Using that logic, all Playstation consoles since PS2 would be failures, since PS2 way outsold later generations.

Last edited by Xzi,

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
50+ million hardware sales is not a failure by any standard. Using that logic, all Playstation consoles since PS2 would be failures.
65+ you mean 3ds sold 65.02 millions combining 2ds and new 3ds sales wich in the end are all the same console :P

Reactions: Xzi

Captain_N

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They can live side by side. the only problem is the 3ds' age. The third parties are supporting it less and less. even capcom errmmm crapcom dont want to make for it. If they did then monster hunter stories would not have needed nintendo to do the US localization. and there would be monster hunter xx in us and europe. crapcom is done with the 3ds. They made their money off of it. They would rather remake RE revelations on the switch then place a new game on it..... Crapcom is gonna be hurting again like when they placed Monster hunter 4 on 3ds. Square-Enix is supporting the switch atleast.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    why
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, it's not funny
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    ok
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's not funny
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    So two cannibals where eating a clown and one says to the other. Hey does this taste funny to you?
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What do you call a slow car? Retired
    +1
    Did you hear about the police car that someone stole the wheels off of? The police are working tirelessly to find the thieves.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A firefighter got arrested for assault his main claim was what I was told he was on fire
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What do you call a hooker with a runny nose? Full
    +2
    What do you tell a woman with two black eyes? Nothing you already told her twice!
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Diddy also works
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A scientist heard the word batman so he put a naked lady in a cage with a bat
    Chuck Norris won a staring contest, with the sun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A vampires favorite thing to do is moon you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What's the difference between an airplane, and Ken's mom? Not everyone has been in an airplane.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What's the difference between @BigOnYa and his wife? Nothing both want to bone me
    +3
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck norris
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    how do i know? you're a guy, and he wants to bone every guy on this site (maybe, idk)
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He wants to bone anything with a dick
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night, big day tomorrow. Congrats.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C7iLZ35NrQt/?igsh=MWd2Z3U0dmNlMmNxcw==