2DS A button problem

GUEDES_et_al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I play a considerable amount of JRPGs on my 2DS, and the A button feels a little loose (the hole is bigger than the other buttons). So sometimes my A button doesn't work when pressed lightly (or doesn't keep the button pressed), making it difficult for me to play some games.

As the 2DS works by the contact between the rubber pad and the motherboard (poor design), I decided to take it apart and put it back together again. Apparently everything is correct. I cleaned everything using isopropyl alcohol, and the problem continues.

I think it must have been some kind of damage to the plastic of the button (not visible), which doesn't allow the rubber to bend and make contact with the motherboard, as the contact seems correct and the rubber pad is not damaged.

I tried to apply hot glue (in a small amount) between the button and the rubber pad, but the button is too hard to the point of not "clicking" or being pressed.

Does anyone have any tips that can help me to solve this problem?

Edit: For better visualization I attached an image of the rubber pad and the part where the contact occurs on the motherboard.

Attachments

• contato.jpg
    contato.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 35
  • rubberpad.jpg
    rubberpad.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 31
  • rubberpad2.jpg
    rubberpad2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by GUEDES_et_al,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"2DS works by the contact between the rubber pad and the motherboard (poor design)"
Do you come from some glorious universe where people still opt for microswitches?

Anyway I have never found a particularly convincing method of repairing these things without just replacing the pad (there is usually a case replacement around or dead unit you can scavenge), or possibly the board in some scenarios.
As a prelude to that (and what I normally do if I encounter this somewhere else -- had to fix a TV remote a while back in a similar manner) you might try spinning it around 90 degrees as that looks fairly universal (some things like this will be very directional).

Is that picture of the board pre cleaning or afterwards?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It’s silicone rubber - no adhesive will even touch it besides more silicone, and even that’s a crappy repair. You’re better off replacing the entire pad, ideally for a straight replacement, alternatively for a pad scavenged from a different device and cut to size.

Reactions: GUEDES_et_al

GUEDES_et_al

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
"2DS works by the contact between the rubber pad and the motherboard (poor design)"
Do you come from some glorious universe where people still opt for microswitches?

Anyway I have never found a particularly convincing method of repairing these things without just replacing the pad (there is usually a case replacement around or dead unit you can scavenge), or possibly the board in some scenarios.
As a prelude to that (and what I normally do if I encounter this somewhere else -- had to fix a TV remote a while back in a similar manner) you might try spinning it around 90 degrees as that looks fairly universal (some things like this will be very directional).

Is that picture of the board pre cleaning or afterwards?
Sorry, I was trying to explain the differences between 2DS and 3DS consoles about the contact. My bad. I'm not a native english speaker, so, some things I didn't understand properly.

Sadly, I never found any case replacement for 2DS to buy, but searching for a dead unit seems like an option to me.

Anyway, what do you mean when you say " try spinning it around 90 degrees"? The rubber pad? Thanks in advance.

Ps: The pictures are only to show. My 2DS is already mounted.
Post automatically merged:

Solved my problem. Fix: Placed one layer of eletrical tape between the plastic buttons and the rubber pad (I cut the edges to match the size of the buttons), and now I have properly contact! Thank you!

Last edited by GUEDES_et_al,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @The Real Jdbye @SylverReZ @Xdqwerty :creep: +1