14 reported dead, 20 injured in shooting at Dark Night Rises showing.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
In other countries you have to go through a big hassle and spend thousand´s of $$$ to get a permit to own a hunting rifle.You also need to be member of a hunting club (and the existing members will judge if it is OK for you to own a gun).

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
*sigh* and I bet he'll be out in 3 years due to "good behavior".

We really need to learn to punish criminals more, its always the same people.
This is America, I don't really know why you would assume he would ever be released. We jail more people than anyone in the world including China.
That's the problem. You jail them, but you don't do anything *with* them - they just sit on their asses. Utilize them, make them work for their own living, if they refuse, let them starve on bread and water.

Prison is not scary anymore - some people treat it like a commodity. Hell, I know of cases when poor people commit petty crimes just to get to jail because petty crime offenders go to relatively low-security prisons, these are giving them a *better standard of life than outside*. It's a pathological situation.

Reactions: 5 people

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Except we are since we have more things then they do, like the ability to reason and not just follow instincts.
Also despite people like the shooter(s) in this sad event, we have created great things that no other animal can't.
possibility do.
Show me all those things you mentioned. I want irrefutable proof that animals only act upon instinct and humans follow reason only.

They're not physical - you *think* that animals follow instinct and people follow reason, but you never asked a dog for his point of view, have you?

You're a mammal, an advanced primate, get used to that thought.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I first read about this story, all I could do was shake my head. This is just sad. What was the point of it all? Guess they are going to start installing metal detectors in movie theaters now.

When is the last time you been to a movie theater? Even before 9/11 they all were getting metal detectors...In PA at least. Than again in PA everyone is marked as a criminal at birth til they graduate college.
In all honesty, I haven't been to a movie theater since last year. And not all movie theaters have metal detectors, old or new, from what I've seen at least.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If I recall correctly ak-47's and other rifles are actually pretty easy to convert to full auto. Also bump fire stocks are legal which accomplish the same thing in a different way.
What you're thinking about is a combat rifle. What I'm thinking about is a hunting rifle. Two different things. ;)
Oh like single fire hunting rifles, my bad. The point still stands about combat rifles being easy to turn back to full auto though, they are designed that way then limited for civilian use as an afterthought.
True, it's entirely possible to convert them, but far easier to get a working full-auto on the black market so why bother?

Commiting a crime using a marked and registered weapon is retarded. Wepons used in crimes are usually either stolen or from the black market.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
If I recall correctly ak-47's and other rifles are actually pretty easy to convert to full auto. Also bump fire stocks are legal which accomplish the same thing in a different way.
What you're thinking about is a combat rifle. What I'm thinking about is a hunting rifle. Two different things. ;)
Oh like single fire hunting rifles, my bad. The point still stands about combat rifles being easy to turn back to full auto though, they are designed that way then limited for civilian use as an afterthought.
True, it's entirely possible to convert them, but far easier to get a working full-auto on the black market so why bother?

Commiting a crime using a marked and registered weapon is retarded. Wepons used in crimes are usually either stolen or from the black market.
And how do those weapons get on the black market. Were do they get weapons to sell on the black market?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And how do those weapons get on the black market. Were do they get weapons to sell on the black market?
Smuggling from the far east - mostly post-USSR and China which have huge depots of weapons that see barely any use and nobody "misses" them if they disappear. Corrupt eastern generals and other heads of military and police departments like dollars and euro, you see. These are huge transactions - there's always the dark zone and if you dig deep enough, you will find it.

weavile001

Spiritmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

stealing from the police

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Buy from place with little firearms control (possibly stolen), smuggle into United States, sell there. Also possibly just find somebody willing to sell you one without registering it (for a premium)

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
Buy from place with little firearms control (possibly stolen), smuggle into United States, sell there. Also possibly just find somebody willing to sell you one without registering it (for a premium)
Like the U.S.A?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Like the U.S.A?
Please, don't be ridiculous. Weapons that can be purchased in stores are all marked and have a registered user - their rifling marks are collected and stored, they're portable evidence and "smuggling" them anywhere to sell them is writing your own sentence.

SSVAV

Lurker in space
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like the U.S.A?
Please, don't be ridiculous. Weapons that can be purchased in stores are all marked and have a registered user - their rifling marks are collected and stored, they're portable evidence and "smuggling" them anywhere to sell them is writing your own sentence.

Still, for a madman whose only purpose is to kill as many people as possible (since he booby-trapped his apartment too) and doesn't care about the outcome (both for him or the other people involved), the fact that weapons are registered is of no importance.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Still, for a madman whose only purpose is to kill as many people as possible (since he booby-trapped his apartment too) and doesn't care about the outcome (both for him or the other people involved), the fact that weapons are registered is of no importance.
A "madman" will stab someone with a spoon if that's the only option, a "madman" is entirely capable of producing his or her own explosives with simple ingredients that are in circulation.

A baby could make gunpowder from a simple mix of sulphour, coal and saltpeter (niter) and I've already seen people make their own semi-automatic and automatic weapons. Restrictions like this do not affect "madmen" because "madmen" will kill anyways.

Besides, using the term "madman" in the context of careful planning, preparation and expert execution is not in place. There's "mad", also known as "I can see flying ponies" and there's "f*cked up in the head sick puppy", also known as "I like your eyes. I will gauge them out and save them for later.". I see a huge difference.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Like the U.S.A?
The USA has firearms controls. It has to have really serious firearms controls actually since owning a gun is legal there (in fact its a right). Its not as good as banning them outright but it gives the Police an easy way of tracing legally purchased guns. Any black-market one is a lot harder though since they'll have been sold without a registration, probably smuggled into the country.

giavol

Trophies
XP
Country
We can also ask the question how did they get as f*cked up as they are? I really do think that society has a role in it. I grew up in a small town of 20000-30000 people.And there was never a reason to lock the doors.In fact i remember once a my 65 ear old grand father caught a guy in his yard steeling a chicken.He started talking and told him that he can com inside and he will give him some food.The guy ate and afterwards he offered to help around the house.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, that guy graduated from my university in 2010 and I may have seen him a few times when he went here. I was trying to figure out why he would do such a thing then it hit me:

Med school...shit does horrible things to you.

---

People get like this when they are fed up of humanity. These are intelligent people who are way above the average individual. They see the filth our society has came to. People have no tolerance at all, they must have the perfect lives. It makes me sick looking at how smug the average person is and how much perfection they need in their lives. Especially in the Medical field, so much competition. I'm glad my university didn't have a full fledge medical program, he may have been doing his PH.D. over here and me being in another PH.D. program would maybe have met him.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it me is is there just something messed up in the drinking water in Colorado? First Columbine and now this. Some sick fucks in that state.
If you're going to judge my state based on mass shootings, will you give us credit for the 12 years between massacres?

OK, will do! *giggle* :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work