Hacking 100th Obligatory downgrade thread.

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
There seems to be room for improvement. It's understandable that the download tool can't be delivered together with the needed copyrighted firmware files, but it could check if those files are present on the sd card and if they have the correct hash. It also could check if the files are the correct ones for the used system and it should not start the downgrade if it's not the case. All these things can be done manually, and implementing them in the downgrader would take time. Now it's released "as is", without those checks.
Further, I assume a hardware backup of the emmc would be the perfect solution to recover from wathever brick you might get. At least, I am intending to take one before I start messing around with it, no matter how tempting it is to start downgrading right away.

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On my 2nd 3ds (old) after downgrading to 9.2 from 9.9 it felt like something wasn't quite right. So I upgraded to 10.3 and re-downgraded, this time to 4.5. Everything felt much better and so I did the normal update to 9.2 from there.

Not sure if there's any solid evidence but it's something to consider if you feel like you have a frankenfirm.

JaxxBlaxx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
On my 2nd 3ds (old) after downgrading to 9.2 from 9.9 it felt like something wasn't quite right. So I upgraded to 10.3 and re-downgraded, this time to 4.5. Everything felt much better and so I did the normal update to 9.2 from there.

Not sure if there's any solid evidence but it's something to consider if you feel like you have a frankenfirm.
What do you mean by "something wasn't quite right"...?

Is the latest downgrader build fixed for frankenfirms and such?

Nkrlz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Monaco

Nkrlz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Monaco
It would be less safe, because instead of just downgrading NATIVE_FIRM you'd have to downgrade the entire firmware again, so there's more that could go wrong.

Thank you, one last question though, wouldn't the version that writes NATIVE_FIRM last be safer? (and i don't want to bug you, but really if i'm understanding this correctly you're saying i should run sysUpdate from my frankenfirm, and hit the downgrade option there, so i would rewrite 9.2 from 9.2?)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Thank you, one last question though, wouldn't the version that writes NATIVE_FIRM last be safer? (and i don't want to bug you, but really if i'm understanding this correctly you're saying i should run sysUpdate from my frankenfirm, and hit the downgrade option there, so i would rewrite 9.2 from 9.2?)
Yeah, the recent versions are safer. And yes.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
No since all the titles will be replaced.
Ok I think I will try that and try downgrade later.

EDIT: Ok I did that. Right now I'm on a fresh 10.3U and I will wait for a more stable downgrade method before trying again. I've got an sd card with emunand of my old franken-9.2U that I will grab my eshop saves off later on once I get a good downgraded sysnand. then I'll wipe that emunand and copy the good 9.2U to it and then upgrade that to 9.5 using sys updater.

Last edited by coolbho3000,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: It's Mayday fellas