FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I know it is out in Europe in a little while but having had a look at the US version after having pulled the rom apart in NDSTool this game seems built to hack.

Update:
Pictures and a crude French translation in my Translation release, help and methods post below.
Translation in both IPS (complex method) and xdelta formats (see NFO or posts below for how guide on how to use xdelta):
Release directory

First up I propose some basic menu translations, preferably in languages that will not be otherwise got when the Euro version drops although I personally will welcome anyone if they make a French,Italian... translation:
In the data\script directory (or just the script directory of you use NDSTS) there exists three .bmg files that contain the menu data.
Unlike a lot of roms it is all effectively in plain ASCII, it is seperated by by 2 00's with the occasional hecademical string thrown in so as to allocate numbers to things such as star coins to enter a level. Extended ASCII does not work so at least for a while people will have to live with a c in place of a ç).
Currently I am unable to change overall length of the files (My EZ4 does not like NSMB after it has been put through NDSTool) so people can get away with using NDSTS.

Secondly all the non-language files are named fairly nicely (maps, enemies etc) and are referenced in the level data so a hard mode hack could be done with things like different enemies/enemy placement, a few less lives/lives boxes etc.

While I have a found a great alternative (xdelta) this still a question I would like answered: can anyone suggest a decent command line IPS patcher that I can bundle with a "hack/translation kit" for if we are to be hex hacking files it would make life easier to put out a batch file "kit": all my IPS patches for hacked/ripped DS roms are stupid sizes or nonexistant. I might look into this BSDiff format Venom is using too.

Those who are new to all this might want to read this thread, it is all common sense though really:
NDS Rom ripping and enhancements

I am going to be spending a nice bit of time on this as I am on holiday for a while and it would really appreciate others input.

MechaBowser

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Nice. I actually switched Mario & Luigi myself because I didn't know you could be him in Story Mode.
tongue.gif
A hack would be... very new. This game doesn't have anything to hack at all? Well, more levels multiplayer would be an awesome hack!
wink.gif

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think he means a basic romhack for knowledge purposes, so we could all learn to make hacks and trainers, and have fun replacing goombas with dirties sig and stuff like that.

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
someone has to get all old school and do a megaman hack like on the NES

...you know, having mega man jumping around instead of mario.

amptor

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Super Pikachu Bros. or
Super Bullshit Bros. DX

would be interesting ideas.

also would be interesting if someone took all the levels and redid them and made it exactly the same as the original super mario bros.
tongue.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suppose had better show some "hello world" type pictures.

I have not got my camera with me so you will have to deal with some pictures of immensely poor quality from my webcam. I suppose it will cover up my butchery of the French language though.

So here it is a French translation of one of the menus.
(If you can not read it this is what is says:
Le jeu Unsaved sera perdu. Voulez-vous stopper ?
Oui Non cont.

(it is the screen where it says you will lose unsaved data if you quit)

Picture%2018.jpg

Picture%2019.jpg

Picture%2020.jpg

As for the ideas above I think you are confusing me for someone with actual talent this was 5 minutes with NDSTS and a hex editor.

NDSTS:
http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/tools.htm

I will get a basic translation table set up with english content, number of characters allowed and I will do some testing as to the characters allowed e.g. characters normally found in the conventional extended ASCII set.

corbs132

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice work... an actual romhack! this is like darkfader doing a hello world on the metroid demo... sick!

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My god those are some unsavoury images. Then again I took some unregocnizable images of flashme screen a bit ago.
laugh.gif

Anyways even if it isn't too difficult to do, good work.

bryehn

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i'm actually looking for a god hex editor that you can actually manipulate content in easily. i use xvi, but it's really more of a viewer.

awesome job already, btw

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use hex workshop which is not free but it is good and does what you want, even better now I figured out how to do tables with it (or at least define them once they are made):
http://www.hexworkshop.com/ It has not been updated in a while but what the hey.

I did a bunch more testing and unlike other hex hack translations you can actually have some leeway in phrase/sentence length. You can not have extended ASCII unfortunately.

It is only a translation of some of the lesser seen parts of the menu though, the rest is done with graphics/pictures. I am still drafting up an excel sheet with the stuff to translate and how many characters. I have a pretty much complete French translation (a few secret/unlockable sections sections left to do) but I was hoping to get some less frequently seen languages such as Finnish. Also testing this out is pain: miniSD musical chairs is no fun.

FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I spent a few hours altering the menu data and came up with a very crude French translation. This thread is to share it and hopefully enable a few more translations to happen.
I also spent an hour trying to make a patch file for it but failed: IPS,PPF,NINJA,BSDiff none wanted to work to help me change a few kilobytes of data (the majority of the file is unchanged and the length throughout remains the same).

Initially I offered you IPS patches for the three files that were edited but then cracker turn me towards XDelta:
http://evanjones.ca/software/xdelta-win32.html

Using xdelta, a patch and the following batch file you can also get a translation
The patch (it is in a zip with the three IPS files from the old method) You want the NSMBrev2.zip as it improves the translation and fixes some text wrapping issues: http://www.4shared.com/dir/518675/ed9e1f51...anslations.html
The batch code:
Code:
rename *.nds NSMB.nds
xdelta patch TRANS.patch NSMB.nds NSMBfre.nds

Have the patch from the zip (do not rename it), the batch file,xdelta and NSMB (psyfer release) in a blank directory. Run the batch file and in a few seconds you will have a file called NSMBfre.nds pop up. This is what you burn to your cart (after patching with your carts patcher if necessary).

I tested it on an EZ4 and it works fine.

Old method

You will need NDSTS:
http://www.gbadat.altervista.org/tools.htm

You will need an IPS patcher, I use GBATA available from the link above but http://www.zophar.net/utilities/patchutil.html has a bunch more.

Here is the translation files, I warn you between character limits, having to use ASCII with no extended set and the fact I have not really used French enough in the last few years may have left this translation up there with zero wing, later versions will correct this but I had to get this out before I lost interest:
Share it/host it/modify it if you want I do not mind
http://www.4shared.com/dir/518675/ed9e1f51...anslations.html

Included is three IPS files to patch the course.bmg, data.bmg and game.bmg files that are found in the script subdirectory of the rom. The IPS files are called course.ips, data.ips and game.ips some reason unknown to myself.
You will need to patch the original files with their respective IPS patches and then import them with NDSTS.
You can then patch and burn the rom.
I tested it on an EZ4 and it works fine.

Translation help/data
You can use any character in the ASCII table up to 7E: ~, 7F: Del is needless here. Using the extended set just results in question marks. The actual characters in the phrase/sentence are seperated by a single 00 (a unicode coversion most likely) with two 00's between each phrase/sentence. You can shift these around a bit if you have to. In my case the file length had to stay the same as NDSTS does not allow changing length (NDSTool in this case did not work with my EZ4 and NSMB).

Now here comes the data you will be translating, I have this in an excel spreadsheet with the translated equivalent next to it (I will share my poor french one if it is so desired but).
(0A) signifies 0A in the hex (0A in ASCII signals LF (line feed) i.e. a new line and it is no different here), I may have missed one or two though. (hex) signifies a hex string, this is mainly for the text that appears when you do not have enough coins to enter a given place (5 coins for the first barrier, more for the next etc.).

A final word of wisdom if you will: you do not have to translate exactly if you can say it another way or do not have to say it at all: my french translation replaces the saving... with simply a series of .'s as it was easier to fit.

the data in the files said:
English content (in order)
the data in the files said:
course.bmg
Yes
No
Continue
Save
Options
Quit
You need(spacebar key)(some hex)
Star coins to go through here. Do you want to spend the star coins?
Save?
Unsaved data will be lost. Do you want to quit?
All your current data will be lost . Are you sure?
You don't have enough Star Coins! You need (hex) Star Coins to go through here.
Saving…
Saved.
Continue(0A)Save(0A)Options(0A)Quit
Continue(0A)Options(0A)Quit
Welcome to the secret Challenge mode. Think you can reach the goal? If you get stuck, press START and choose (OA)Return to Map.
data.bmg
Select a file.
Select a file to copy.
Select a file to copy to.
Is it OK to overwrite this file?
Copying…
File copied.
Select a file to erase.
Is it OK to erase this file?
Erasing
File erased.
game.bmg
Yes
No
Continue
Options
Quit
Save?
You can't save here.(0A)Do you want to quit?
Are you sure?
Saving…
Saved.
Continue(0A)(some hex)Return to map(0A)(more hex)
Options(0A)Quit
Continue(0A)Return to map(0A)Options(0A)Quit
Do you want to spend(0A)(hex) Star Coins?
You don't have enough Star Coins! You need (hex) Star Coins.
If you get stuck, press START and choose (OA)Return to Map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Hi hi!