Hacking I need help unbricking a NON-HACKED Wii from version 4.2 (USA)

I obviously need

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright folks, I have been doing some research on this, and I have come to these conclusions:

1. My non-hacked Wii (meaning, I don't have ANY HBC-related data on it) has been bricked due to Nintendo's shoddy boot2v4 included in the 4.2 firmware update. It happened last night when I wanted to play my newest game (Monster Hunter Tri).

2. I can check the firmware version that my Wii has on the black screen o' death by using my GameCube controller (which is taken apart) in port 4 and holding down the 4 D-pad buttons simultaneously before start-up.

3. I can buy the SaveMii GameCube memory card dongle, but it only works for up to version 3.2 Wiis. I'd have to wait for a newer version to help me.

4. I wouldn't be screwed if I had HBC. After this incident, I may as well cave in and start Homebrewing. Either that, or get something better than Verizon DSL which caused this brick in the first place. Damn shoddy internet connection...

Okay, after finally realizing this, I have come to the conclusion that my Wii CAN be saved. If I look at number 2, I recall reading on several forums (that are similar to this one) that all I have to do is pop in a game or an official Wii System Update disc that has NEWER FIRMWARE than what is already on the system. However, seeing how we are currently at 4.2 and my system is also at 4.2, I'm SOL until the newer firmware comes out. Even then, finding a game with a newer update would be slim-to-none.

HOWEVER! Is it possible for my Wii to upload something from an SD card during the start-up process that will allow me to fix the boot2v4 or downgrade to a firmware version that'll get it out of bricked mode? Once again, I have NO hacked software on my Wii at all. It is a 100% legit Wii that has never touched Homebrew Channel stuff.

Any help will be much appreciated! I will also clarify anything I didn't explain well enough to the best of my ability.

PS- Any idea when version 4.3 will come out?

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're screwed until you can get an update disc with 4.3.

Be glad it's not your boot2 that's corrupted, then you'd have to pay for repairs.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gameking66 said:

Be glad it's not your boot2 that's corrupted, then you'd have to pay for repairs.
I think the Error 003 fix just might help him. OP: Find the Error 003 guide, and also get a modchip that supports autoboot.

I obviously need

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
gameking66 said:

I think the Error 003 fix just might help him. OP: Find the Error 003 guide, and also get a modchip that supports autoboot.

Is there a way to do it without a modchip? I'm not soldering-savvy.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I obviously need help said:
tattar8 said:
gameking66 said:

Is there a way to do it without a modchip? I'm not soldering-savvy.
Get a non-solder modchip similar to Drivekey.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
gameking66 said:

Not if he has warranty (Ninty wouldn't be able to see the Wii is hacked -> no loss of warranty).

Also, how do you know your Boot2 is the corrupt thingy? If it is, an update wouldn't even help...

Maybe you can read this: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=199396

ShivaDagger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
From what I read up, get Wasabi DX, its a non soldering chip. Just plug and play. Though if I'm not mistaken, you might have to open up your Wii to attach it. I'm not all that sure about the latter part. But do a google search on Wasabi DX, there should be tons of information. =)

I obviously need

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, some clarifications already need to be made, I see (sorry about that).

-For starters, this is a launch Wii (November 19, 2006) purchased in the United States of America. Serial number is LU104458318.

-As soon as I turn on the system, I get the black screen of death. That means I have absolutely no clue what error # it is. So this 003 error does not seem to pertain to me. I can, however, make my Wii show the "4.2 (USA)" on the bottom right-hand corner of the screen with my GameCube controller.

Now, these non-soldering modchips you guys are mentioning, will they be required to stay in my Wii from now on, or can I unbrick it with the modchip, then remove the modchip afterwards? Thanks so far.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yup, you're going to need to wait until the next system update is released and then released on some disc. Shove the Wii into a closet for now.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Send it to ninty. If you have done nothing to it (i.e. no HBC, cIOS etc.), they'll repair it for free. And if it is a boot2 issue, then holding 4 directions on GC d-pad will have no effect, and neither will a SaveMii (btw, these are the exact same, and work regardless of System Menu. The only difference System Menu makes is whether a homebrew disc can be booted with a modchip, but you don't have a modchip, so it is completely irrelevant). Anyway, just send it to Nintendo, they should fix it for free if it has no mods.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If your wii truly was not softmodded, then you can not fix it without a modchip and a 4.3 update.

But if Nintendo did truly muck up your wii with their update, which they have done 1000's of times, call them and request it to be fixed free of charge, even if your waranty is void. 90% chance they will fix it for you, free of charge.

Just tell them how it is- I had a wonderful wii, which I love until I updated and now I get nothing but a black screen. You can leave out your savemiifrii results.

The strange thing is, when 4.2 update bricks, it usually full bricks, no recovery menu.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/orders.jsp

gameking66

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tj_cool said:
gameking66 said:

Not if he has warranty (Ninty wouldn't be able to see the Wii is hacked -> no loss of warranty).

Also, how do you know your Boot2 is the corrupt thingy? If it is, an update wouldn't even help...

Maybe you can read this: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=199396

He can get to the blackscreen + Version number. His boot2 isn't corrupted.

QUOTE(SifJar @ Apr 24 2010, 08:33 PM)
Send it to ninty. If you have done nothing to it (i.e. no HBC, cIOS etc.), they'll repair it for free. And if it is a boot2 issue, then holding 4 directions on GC d-pad will have no effect, and neither will a SaveMii (btw, these are the exact same, and work regardless of System Menu. The only difference System Menu makes is whether a homebrew disc can be booted with a modchip, but you don't have a modchip, so it is completely irrelevant). Anyway, just send it to Nintendo, they should fix it for free if it has no mods.

He's out of warranty.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know he is out of warranty, but the 4.2 update has bricked so many wiis that Nintendo usually fixes them regardless of the warranty status.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
gameking66 said:
He can get to the blackscreen + Version number. His boot2 isn't corrupted.
Already realized that
rolleyes.gif

Kinda strange though how it bricked.

I obviously need

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, more clarifications:

-Once again, there are absolutely no hacks on this Wii. I went legit all these years and downloaded ~20 Virtual Console titles through Nintendo's WiiShop Channel. I waited in line for ~3 hours to get this system at a local Sam's Club back on November 19, 2006.

- I looked at the Wasubi DX's features, and nowhere does it say that you can get out of a brick. It only states that it PREVENTS bricks from updates such as cross-region ones.

-THANK YOU to the person who stated that my boot2 isn't corrupt. But I need to know why that's a good thing
tongue.gif

Many thanks to more help. You guys have been helpful so far.

Krestent

What to post?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I obviously need help said:
Alright, more clarifications:

-Once again, there are absolutely no hacks on this Wii. I went legit all these years and downloaded ~20 Virtual Console titles through Nintendo's WiiShop Channel.

- I looked at the Wasubi DX's features, and nowhere does it say that you can get out of a brick. It only states that it PREVENTS bricks from updates such as cross-region ones.

-THANK YOU to the person who stated that my boot2 isn't corrupt. But I need to know why that's a good thing
tongue.gif

many thanks to any more help
Because there's a 100% no chance that you'll be able to recover if your boot2 was corrupt. What I was saying about a chip was that it could be used to autoboot a hacked disc, but that won't help you as your wii is completely unmodified.

I obviously need

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tattar8 said:
Because there's a 100% no chance that you'll be able to recover if your boot2 was corrupt. What I was saying about a chip was that it could be used to autoboot a hacked disc, but that won't help you as your wii is completely unmodified.

Okay, if I get the Wasabi DX modchip, will I have to wait for version 4.3 in order for my Wii to become useful again? Or is there an alternative that we're missing here? Thanks for your help!

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you get a modchip, you'll have to pay for the modchip, and wait for an update to be released. Just send it to Ninty, they may charge, but it shouldn't be much. Anyway, if you tell them you did an update and then it no longer works (i.e. the truth), there's a chance they'll do it for free.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool: DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)