xwhiite0.2 help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Rockout, Feb 9, 2010.

Feb 9, 2010

xwhiite0.2 help by Rockout at 11:24 PM (1,455 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Rockout
    OP

Newcomer Rockout Newbie

United States
    Ok, here we go.

It is possible to use your wii to torrent files for use with a backup loader and extract those files onto a usb device to play all without ever using a computer or even removing your sd card. You will need to use a computer for the initial setup of the sd card. Of course, this will require some work on your part to get iit all to work, but hopefully this will help.

1. Start by installing the homebrew channel and bootmii. It is recommended to have bootmii installed as boot2. I prefer to use bannerbomb to acomplish this, and there are plenty of guides out there to walk you through the installation.

2. Next you need to get linux up and running. There is a great guide here on gbatemp to help you do just that. "[Tutorial] xwhiite with working wifi" Be sure to get the wifi up and running as you will be using it.

3. Once you have xwhiite running, you will need to get a few programs. Some of this may be a little tricky if you've never used linux before, but don't let that discourage you. Start by openning Eterm and rooting yourself. To become root type: "su" then push "Enter" If you havn't changed the password yet, it will be "whiite" and it is case sensitive.

4. As root, you should first get the torrent program, transmission. This is easy. Type: "aptitude install transmission" then push "Enter" This may take a few minutes, but shouldn't be that bad. Transmission allows you to run the torrents you download using Iceweasel (Firefox)

5. Now you will also need a way of dealing with archives that are not native to linux, such as zip and rar files. Still as root type: "aptitude install ark zip unzip" and push "Enter" This may take a little while, but that only takes care of zip.

6. You will have to use a non-free repository to obtain the tool you need for rar extraction. The repository list is kept in /etc/apt/sources.list To edit this list (still as root) type: "nano etc/apt/sources.list" and hit "Enter" Inside there, put a "#" in front (to the left and not above) of the first line and add this line under the first one:
    deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free
    Hold the "Ctrl" key and push "x" to exit. Push "y" to save and "Enter" to confirm the file's name.

7. Update your packing list by typing: "apt-get update" and push "Enter" Remember, you still need to be in root for this. Next type: "aptitude install unrar" then hit "Enter" Again, be patient and wait for the linux to do it's magic.

8. It's probably a good idea to revert back to your original repository. Push the up arrow button until you see: "nano etc/apt/sources.list" (or you can just type it in) then hit "Enter" Remove the "#" from the first line and insert one (#) for the second line. This is so the wii doesn't run out of memory reading the packing lists from multiple repositories. Once again, hold the "Ctrl" key and push "x" to exit. Push "y" to save and "Enter" to confirm the file's name. Once back in the terminal (and still rooted) type: "apt-get update" and hit "Enter"

9. You're doing good and we're almost there. You are going to need a usb loader capable of reading from a fat partition as opposed to the wbfs partition style. Use "GAF's Wii Homebrew Tutorial: USB Loader" and remember to follow the instructions for loading form a FAT partition.

10. Now you're ready to use Iceweasel to find your torrents. Now is a good time to configure Iceweasel to download files to a specific folder, or you can just let it download to the /home/wii directory. Try to familiarize yourself with Iceweasel and fluxbox (of xfce4 if you installed that).

11. Unless your torrent is a small one you will need your usb flash or hard drive mounted to have enough room to download.Open Eterm and root yourself. (type: "su" hit "Enter" and input the password) Start by making a mount point for linux to use your drive. Type "mkdir /mnt/usb" then push "Enter" Next mount your drive by typing: "mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb" and hit "Enter" (This assumes that your drive is plugged into the correct usb slot - that being the one on the bottom if the console is positioned horizontally and that you want to use the first partition on that drive, else change the /dev/sda1 segment to /dev/sda2 or sda3 or whatever) You need to be in root to mount or unmount a drive, and you must mount the drive each time you boot up, before Transmission or anything else can use it. If you don't like this, then look into modifying your fstab configuration. All drives are automatically unmounted at shutdown. Never unplug a drive that is mounted or you risk destroying data. If you want to manually unmount your drive type: "umount /dev/sda1" and push "Enter"

12. Alright, go ahead and open up Transmission. It'll be near Iceweasel in the Net section of the fluxbox menu. Once it opens, push the button towards the top right to enter the preferences menu. I like to set it to use the torrents where they are to help save space. Adjust any of the other settings to your liking. I recommend being good to others and not limitting your upload speed, but it's up to you. After you close your preferences window, aim the pointer inside the Tansmission box and right click (push "B" on wiimote) and slick on "Add" This will open a menu dialog that will allow you to browse for your torrent. Check the box on the bottom left to enable alternate assembly location for your torrent to download to. Browse for your usb drive ( /mnt/usb ) and use it. It doesn't seem to make any difference if you check the "Start torrents automatically" box or not. It seems to auto-start each time anyway.

13. Sweet. let your torrent do it's thing, It's going to take a while. Try using the "Aptitude" program in Apps -->System. It might take a little getting use to, but you can browse for other software this way. Use the up and down arrow keys to navigate. Press "Enter" to open or close a selection. to select a package to install, use "+" ( for me its hold the "Shift" key and push "=") or to deslect or remove a package use "-" There are a lot of games you can mess around with. You should even be able to use gnome and kde programs. Your nonfree repository will allow you to get fceu and snes9x-x, and the regular repository has vba and the front end for snes9x callled gsns9x. Realize that these emulators will not run nearly as smooth as anything you load from the homebrew browser, but you can play them with your torrent running -just not at full capacity.

14. If all went well, you now have a nice new file to mess around with from your torrent -go to the next step. If you have trouble keeping transmission running, make sure you mounted your usb drive, and configured your torrent settings properly. You can check by right clicking on a torrent and selecting "Properties" If it is not downloading to the right place remove that torrent and reopen it and configure it properly. If you still have problems, make sure the dirve you are attempting to use is not full. If you still can't get it to work, try a different usb drive or an sd(hc) card inside a usb card reader. Make sure you have it mounted, it may not have the /dev/sda1 slot, but it should be close (like dev/sdb1 or sdc1, sdd1, sde1, you get the point)

15. You're almost finished. Your torrent may have already yielded a usable file, in which case, you are done. Go ahead and use it. I feel that mPlayer on the homebrew channel works better than the VLCviewer or whatever comes in xwhiite0.2, but feel free to play around with anyhing yourself. If your file is a rar or zip file, you will need to extract the file inside the archive. Ark can do this, but it seems to use a lot of resources and can be a little slow to open. This is a nice gui to use if you don't like the command line interface in the terminal. I don't believe ark will let you extract to your usb drive unless you have the proper permissions in the fstab. Here are the commands to use in the terminal to extract your fiile (remember to root yourself). For zipped files do this: "unzip /mnt/usb/FILENAME.zip ./" You can replace the "./" with the location you want the file to wind up in, but this way it will just unzip to the same location. you can always manipulate the file later. For rarred files do this: "unrar e /mnt/usb/FILENAME.rar ./" again, replacing the "./" with wherever you want the file to go. A common place would be /mnt/usb/wbfs If you have trouble unrarring your file, try to close everything exept the program you are using to unrar. Be patient, unrarring could take a while, try not to click on anything while the process happens,. And for some reason, sometimes the green-screensaver thing will mess up the process.

16. Excellent! You did it! Your wii can now supply itself with it's own software! The only thing you can't do is utilize files over 4gigabytes on a fat partitioned usb drive. so keep the file size under 4gb and you should be fine. With any luck somebody can find a way to get around that and post the solution here (one that doesn't involve using a seperate computer). Good Luck and Enjoy!

Thank you to everyone that has helped to create, inspire, program or distribute all of these great software packages. I truely appreciate the hard work and dedication put forth, and all the used up spare time that was required to benefit the rest of us. Thank you again, and please keep up the great work!

2. Rockout
    OP

Newcomer Rockout Newbie

United States
    (editted post to reflect recent changes)

-ToDo:
    create links for guides
    spell-check/proof-read
    add section for coding fstab for user permissions
    other recommended software
    update for future advancement/ discovery of better ways of doing things

3. cwstjdenobs

Member cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

United Kingdom
    If your patient and are happy to wait a long time for things to compile you could look at customising http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=121265&st=0

then do
    emerge --sync
    to get the latest portage tree. You will definately want to use a HDD with a swap partition and quite a large / partition

Edit: If you want to take that route this is probably a better base http://wiibrew.org/wiki/WiiToo

4. Rockout
    OP

Newcomer Rockout Newbie

United States
    Thank you for the response.

I actually did install and check out the Bliight beta on a seperate sd card. I very much liked the apperance, but a lot of the features wouldn't work, emulators, etc. I am without the ninentdo usb lan adapter and couldn't get Bliight to boot up from bootmii or use wifi. I didn't get around to trying the compilers in there, but assumed that something compiled in gentoo would be incompatable with debian. I could be wrong about this.

I downloaded wiitoo! but am having trouble finding a repository to get xz-utils. It's the archive wrapper required to extract the wiitoo.xz file, though I'm still looking. Wiitoo does seem like the better more up to date choice, as I noticed most of bliight's support was on tehskeen and that site is now offline (although xwhiite doesn't seem to have much support either).I'm not that familiar with gentoo, but it could be worth learning. I think portage is to gentoo as debian is to aptitude.

So far I really like xwhiite. I tried to get it to work with mikep5 and whiite1.1, but with a lot of headaches and wasted time on locales and not getting the xserver to output the video properly at all, I gave up.

The swap partition is a very good idea. I usually set up a 64m linux swap 3rd partition right on the sd card in addition to the 32 swap file that is written at installation. I find it amusing, and almost ironic, to set up a wii-linux distribution on a wii using a linux distribution. A real computer would be much better for what I'd like to do, but I am without.

I know my posts have been rather verbose, I hope this doesn't discourage anybody.

Thanks again, and if I make any forward progress I'll try to post it here so everyone can learn.

5. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    http://tukaani.org/xz/

you have to install it from source, but as far as I remeber its a ./configure && makie && sudo make install job.

EDIT: It already supports wifi and dvd etc but needs setting up. To get a full X11 system up and running compiled on the wii will take ages though. I'd really look into setting up a cross compiler. I think this might help http://buildroot.uclibc.org/ but someone will probably come along with a better sugestion.

6. Rockout
    OP

Newcomer Rockout Newbie

United States
    Nice, thank you very much.

I found a repository that seems to have an unrar that works with ark, though it didn't work in xarchiver:

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

then I added this line to the /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib non-free

(i put # in front of the others so as not to slow the system down with multiple repos at once)

sudo apt-get update
    sudo aptitude install unrar

It seemed to work, I have yet to test completely as disk space ran out during the extraction. I have to clean up a bit, but anticipate success.

I downloaded the xz-utils from your link and will try to get wiitoo running. I also want to dig into that buildroot website, it looks straitforward enough so I'll give that a shot as well.

I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks once again, cwstjdenobs, for your time and efforts

7. Rockout
    OP

Newcomer Rockout Newbie

United States
    If anyone found this information useful, or if you have any insights or questions feel free to post here. I will try to make periodic updates and expand on some of the procedures if something seems unclear. Good Luck!

8. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    is there no way to use ext or ntfs-3g with this? or is it all fat?

9. cwstjdenobs

United Kingdom
    Well, unless you hexedit the prebuilt kernels they look for an ext2 fs on the 2nd partition of the SD. If you can be arsed I can't see why you couldn't set it up to use NTFS-3G. Are you wanting to set up a Wubi style install or something?

10. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    no. i really dont have any interest in using linux on my wii. but he mentioned the 4gb file size limit.

11. Rockout
    OP

Newcomer Rockout Newbie

United States
    it should be possible to use a different partition if you can find a usb loader that can utilize that type of partition. I chose fat for a few reasons. it is a common partition type, it can be made to work with the configurable usb loader easily enough, and it is mountable from linux as well as the homebrew channel. This makes it convenient to avoid having a wbfs partition on your drive.

I think a lot of people have enough trouble getting the linux partition going, but having the usb drive as a fat partition makes it a little simpler. you can even use your wii to set up the partitiion, once you have gotten past step 2. Use the cfdisk in the terminal ( FAT16 is number 06 I think), just be careful not to format over anything you still need. To create the file structure, apt-get install dosfs then mkdosfs whichever drive needs the file system.

With the mkdosfs command installed, you can use your wii-linux to set up sd cards to use in other wii consoles, or even alternate filesystems for your own console. I use the wii to set up xwhiite0.2, and I'm typing to you for this entire thread using my wii. I do kinda wish I had an actual computer, but with all this, I really don't even need one.